Nightmares and Primordial Pathways

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmares and Primordial Pathways

Two questions, guys. One about Nightmares and one about nightmares and Primordial Pathways.

1. While I understand mechanics aren't the most important thing about this beauty of a game, there is something I wonder.
    Duration of Nightmares. I'm unclear about if Nightmares' effects last for only one scene (barring the odd one that specifically notes that if "this happens then the Nightmare lasts for a full day"). If I hit someone with a Nightmare and decide I want it to affect them in their sleep rather than immediately, do they suffer the mechanical effects in "real life" (in-game real life that is) or only if I hit them with an immediate effect for this specific scene?

2. Is it possible to pull a Freddy and invade someone's dreams via Primordial Pathways in order to "haunt" them, for feeding purposes?

Originally posted by Serpent Axis View Post
    Two questions, guys. One about Nightmares and one about nightmares and Primordial Pathways.

1. While I understand mechanics aren't the most important thing about this beauty of a game, there is something I wonder.
    Duration of Nightmares. I'm unclear about if Nightmares' effects last for only one scene (barring the odd one that specifically notes that if "this happens then the Nightmare lasts for a full day"). If I hit someone with a Nightmare and decide I want it to affect them in their sleep rather than immediately, do they suffer the mechanical effects in "real life" (in-game real life that is) or only if I hit them with an immediate effect for this specific scene?
    I'm reasonably certain that the effects affect the target normally if used on a delay — Run Away specifically notes the difference in effect between its immediate and triggered applications, and it serves as a pretty thematic use of Behold, My True Form! besides.

2. Is it possible to pull a Freddy and invade someone's dreams via Primordial Pathways in order to "haunt" them, for feeding purposes?
    Mechanically speaking, this is typically accomplished via the mechanics for inflicting nightmares while you're Starving. If you can find some means of establishing sufficient resonance with the inside of someone's Oneiros you might be able to accomplish it while you're awake; that might be covered in a future supplement (Dave Brookshaw's said that he describes how someone's thoughts sound from that vantage point in such a book here), but for the moment we haven't got more to go off of than "if they've got a set in their Oneiros that matches the description of one of your Chambers, you can try to go there at a pretty substantial penalty."

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

I'm reasonably certain that the effects affect the target normally if used on a delay — Run Away specifically notes the difference in effect between its immediate and triggered applications, and it serves as a pretty thematic use of Behold, My True Form! besides.
      Right, but the part that I'm confused about is do the effects happen only in the dream, while the victim sleeps or - for example - if I inflict him with Run Away does he physically jump out of the bed and starts running aimlessly around the neighbourhood for a scene or does he only experience the flight during the dream and when he wakes up the mechanical effects aren't there?

Comment

Originally posted by Serpent Axis View Post
        Right, but the part that I'm confused about is do the effects happen only in the dream, while the victim sleeps or - for example - if I inflict him with Run Away does he physically jump out of the bed and starts running aimlessly around the neighbourhood for a scene or does he only experience the flight during the dream and when he wakes up the mechanical effects aren't there?
        "I'm reasonably certain that the effect affect the target normally" means "I'm reasonably certain it doesn't cut off the power's mechanical effect as part of the delay."

I wouldn't call it "aimlessly" so much as "as far as possible from wherever he fell asleep."

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Working...
        X