Sell me BtP in one sentence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me BtP in one sentence

So... I backed z Beast during a Kichstarter campaign, got my pdf and still waiting for the book copy. But to be honest I don't know much about the game and why is it cool. So far Wee Wolf, Changeling, nad recently Mage are my top CoD games. What's cool about Beast? Why Is the game worth playing? And most importantly can it be conveniently played in solo game? Currently I'm living in China, with my wife as the only player for now, so I don't have much choice in this matter.

So many of what the developers and the fans of a game market as its selling point often turn out to be the turn-off point for others. It's hard to point out one feature of the game without knowing your tastes.

Anyways, Beast is a game about playing people who have a nightmare-monster spawned from the collective legends of humanity as their soul. Remember how the WoD and CofD games are about playing the monsters instead of the humans? Well, Beast takes that to its logical end and allows you to play the truly legendary monsters - the Jotunn, the Nemean Lion, the Griffin, the Kraken, the Roc, and the ever-popular Dragon - such things. It also gives you room for more modern horrors like the Slenderman, or completely made-up ones of your choosing. Chinese legends and myths are rich with such monsters, so you have a wide range of choices.

Comment

You can play Dracula from Wallachia and Dracula from Castlevania as the same character.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by qendi View Post
        So... I backed z Beast during a Kichstarter campaign, got my pdf and still waiting for the book copy. But to be honest I don't know much about the game and why is it cool. So far Wee Wolf, Changeling, nad recently Mage are my top CoD games. What's cool about Beast? Why Is the game worth playing? And most importantly can it be conveniently played in solo game? Currently I'm living in China, with my wife as the only player for now, so I don't have much choice in this matter.

While the other games in the series are largely focused on their own specific setting, Beast the Primordial is built for and encourages cross over games between multiple splats. Now you can have Changelings, Vampires, Werewolves, Mages, Mummies and more all working together under one roof, instead of trying to maim and kill each other.

Comment

Pro-cross-over would be an asset... If I wasn't playing solo games;/

@21C Hermit: So sell me what do you think is the most awesome about the game. So far I disliked only one CoD game and it was Promethean 1ed (I don't know 2ed though).

Comment

@21C Hermit: So sell me what do you think is the most awesome about the game. So far I disliked only one CoD game and it was Promethean 1ed (I don't know 2ed though).
            Playing a legendary monster straight from the stories. Positioning youself as the Big Bad who is supposed to get his ass kicked by the Designated Good Guy Protagonist, then subverting the plot to seize the role of the Main Character for yourself.

I've had that moment where I knew - not felt, knew - that I'm nowhere as important to the world as I want to be, nor as awesome as I want to be, but someone else out there is.
            I've also had that moment where I had some pretty deep-seated and wrecked shit somewhere inside me, thankfully kept in check by a well-developed superego, well-internalized ethics, and no particular genetic/psychological quirks that would hinder me from taming it, but still biding its time there regardless.

Beast "can be" (not necessarily "is") about people who qualify for one or both of those qualities that are suddenly empowered to let go and run wild.

Side tracking here, but Promethean 2E is about exploring humanity from outside - all its ups and downs. It is also about alchemically Created proto-men who badly need to stabilize themselves before they inflict entropy on everything. And it turns out becoming human, which are apparently the base material out of which the world is made out of, is enough to do just that.

Comment

Doesn't mean you can't have the cross NPC characters. :P

And speaking of cross overs, I forgot to mention that Beasts have access to unique powers called Kinship which are inspired by and emulate the powers of other splats.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Playing a legendary monster straight from the stories. Positioning youself as the Big Bad who is supposed to get his ass kicked by the Designated Good Guy Protagonist, then subverting the plot to seize the role of the Main Character for yourself.
                That sounds quite cool.

and how about Beast being suited for solo games? Werewolf for example socks with solo games, while Changeling works reasonably good and 1E Promethazine seemed to be created with solos in mind.

Comment

That sounds quite cool.

and how about Beast being suited for solo games? Werewolf for example socks with solo games, while Changeling works reasonably good and 1E Promethazine seemed to be created with solos in mind.

By solo, do you mean between 1 / 2 players, or just within it's respective universe?

Like Werewolves, Beasts emphasizes familial bonds and cooperation in order to help each other survive. You can play solo if you want to, but it loses those undertones of being a game about family.

Also, Beasts feed on the essence of terror. They survive by horrifying (possibly even traumatizing) humans, while justifying their actions as teaching humanity wisdom through fear. This can get rather uncomfortable in a solo game if one player is the ST and the other is describing in details how they're torturing somebody's mind every time they need to recharge their powers. Personally, I would suggest getting more people together in order to distract from that edge, if you don't think you'd be comfortable with it.

Comment

That sounds quite cool.

Beast can work quite well as a solo game: Beasts tend to be...the odd women out in a party of other supernatural types, and their feeding habits will probably put off all but the most inhumane creatures. They can perform very well with a niche and can summon their Lairs to their location as a means of giving themselves a major powerup.

They'd be good if you want to run a character like Beckett from VtM who goes around and studies all of the other supernatural types. An "anthropologist", if you will. Or as a sort of mediator-for-hire in a region of lots of different supernatural organizations.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                    On the Chronicles of Darkness Slack Team. PM me for invitation
                    Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings

Comment

Ever play Overlord? Dungeon Keeper? That's Beast. You're the not-quite-evil Overlord, with an expansive Lair that recruits supernatural monsters to you. Build the Lair, grow strong, become a Legend.

Comment

That sounds quite cool.

I don't see anything that would get in the way of solo games.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

By solo, do you mean between 1 / 2 players, or just within it's respective universe?

Like Werewolves, Beasts emphasizes familial bonds and cooperation in order to help each other survive. You can play solo if you want to, but it loses those undertones of being a game about family
                          I mean that I'm stuck in China with only my wife as a player, so solo is 1 to 1 game.

Comment

Ok, selling Beast the Primordial in once sentence. Haven't read any of the posts after the original, here it goes:

Beast the Primordial is a game about playing as a monster, and confronts both the players and the characters with the question "Why is a monster a monster?"

Ok, looking at the other posts now...yes! Didn't copy anyone else directly.

To elaborate more on my selling sentence, and help with the solo Chronicle question, Beast is a game about being a human who's soul is devoured/fused to a Horror of the Primordial Dream, the layer that separates the Temenos from the Anima Mundi (for those unfamiliar with Astral Realm jargon, from Humanity's shared dream from the World's shared dream.) They become one with the Horror and gain it's otherworldly powers and might, but at the cost of being it's appetite's conduits in the waking world. The more appeased the Horror's Satiety is, the more of yourself you are. The hungrier the Horror's Satiety is the more of an influence it becomes over your normal thoughts and mannerisms. Worse of all though, the Horror is still a part of Humanity's shared dream and therefore influenced by Humanity's subconscious. Enter the Monomyth, a cosmic narrative that dooms the Horror (and the poor sod who's housing it) to meet it's end in some terrible or tragic fashion. No matter what a Begotten tries they will never be able to escape the fate that the Story has written for them. They must feed on fear, they will attract the attention of those who are bound just like them except their role is their slayer, and they will die either at the hands of these "Heroes" or from some other force from the Chronicles of Darkness. A Beast Chronicle is about a Begotten juggling their dual natures as being a part of the world along with humans, monsters, and other stranger things while still being bound to consume human fear no matter their own desires. It's about being a creature of myth and legend yet profoundly dependent upon the humans you must prey upon. It's about trying to break free of the role the story decided you must play, despite the fact that in order to do that you must abandon your humanity entirely and become almost a force of nature all your own.

Hope that helps. And good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                              Ever play Overlord? Dungeon Keeper? That's Beast. You're the not-quite-evil Overlord, with an expansive Lair that recruits supernatural monsters to you. Build the Lair, grow strong, become a Legend.
                              This is overselling the boss monster potential of the game which still lacks Lair abilities or merits that might simulate the horde of goblins/minions you command in Overlord. Hoping the upcoming supplements fix this oversight.

Comment

Working...
                              X