Specifics of Inheritance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specifics of Inheritance?

So I finally got my hands on Beast: the Primordial for Christmas and I'm still reading through the book (I just got to the chapter that details character creation). The subject of Inheritance has been brought up several times so far, but the specifics of it are mostly vague. It doesn't really go into how you can play as a character who's achieved it, which leads me to believe that this is supposed to be an 'end point' for your character. Once you achieve an Inheritance, you make a new character and start over. At least two of these inheritance involve self destruction, either of your lair, or your physical body, while the third method is described as a form of enlightenment.

If I were to draw comparison to other games in the series, I would say that Rampant Inheritance is the Draugr state from Vampire, while Incarnate Inheritance is supposed to be like Golconda. I don't have any comparison for the Retreat Inheritance.

But, anyways, onto the specifics:

In the Rampant method, it says you physically merge with your Beast and separate from the Primordial Dream. Is this supposed to mean that you actually become your Horror? Like if my Horror is a 20 foot tall, fire breathing giant and goes Rampant, then the city will have a kaiju rampaging through the city streets, burning everything in its path? Or a Makara would take the form of a nightmarish sea creature, and subsequently begin suffocating on dry land?

In the Retreat method, it says your Horror cuts itself off from its physical body. But, since your Horror has replaced your human soul, this would mean that the body they left behind is now either A) dead, or B) a soulless husk. It also says the Retreat method is a spiritual Inheritance and that the Horror retains some of its thinking capacity. So is the Retreat essentially the Beast's equivalent to the afterlife, or did your character become a soulless human after they were separated from each other?

And finally, the Incarnate method says that your character has become one with their lair, as opposed to merely dwelling within it. And this, somehow, makes you one of the most powerful creatures in the Chronicles of Darkness. This is perhaps the most vague of them all, since I was given to understand that the lair is an extension of your soul and develops itself based on your experiences. So I don't see how it's not already a part of you.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 12-30-2016, 09:00 AM.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty weak on the exact mechanics myself. The following are mostly my opinions and interpretations on the matter.

I'd say the Rampant really does become the Horror, but not in its full glory as its ties to the larger Dream has been severed (what with the Lair collapsing and all). By this point, the Horror rules from the core (y'know, ones using Dread Powers) are more apt in representing them. They're also a mindless monster that only knows Hunger.

The Unfettered mirrors the Rampant in that the Beast fully becomes her Horror, but she does so not in the waking world but in the Primordial Dream. The body drops dead, and the remaining Horror does what Horrors do - feed its Hunger. The Unfettered are much like ghosts, in the sense that becoming one requires the Beast to die in a way, and uses the Ephemeral Entity rules.

I was under the impression that the Incarnate are to Beasts what archmages are to mages. An exalted creature that is something else from its lesser kin. The part about becoming one with your Lair is, well, you know how your muscles are already a part of you, but with training you can learn how to flex them in ways people who don't work out can't? Sorta like that. Or that pseudo-scientific stuff where you unlock the hidden potentials within your brain, or your genes. They're already a part of you, but you can do even better. Incarnates being one of the most powerful creatures probably has to do with reaching Incarnate requiring a significantly high Lair trait, and then building yourself as a living legend, which itself requires you to completely overwhelm the closest thing Beasts have to a natural predator. Oh, and becoming Incarnate practically guarantees Apex status due to doing all those stuff, which in turn gives you even more power.

EDIT: The Unfettered retains its human memories and personality only if the Inheritance goes exceptionally well. It is still a creature of Hunger, but now with human sapience beyond animal cunning.
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 12-30-2016, 09:16 AM.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
      In the Rampant method, it says you physically merge with your Beast and separate from the Primordial Dream. Is this supposed to mean that you actually become your Horror? Like if my Horror is a 20 foot tall, fire breathing giant and goes Rampant, then the city will have a kaiju rampaging through the city streets, burning everything in its path? Or a Makara would take the form of a nightmarish sea creature, and subsequently begin suffocating on dry land?
      Yes and no. You physically merge, but it only changes in the ways discussed on page 239. A rampant who's horror is a kaiju would probably get armour, a rather horrific appearance, and increased strength and stamina.

In the Retreat method, it says your Horror cuts itself off from its physical body. But, since your Horror has replaced your human soul, this would mean that the body they left behind is now either A) dead, or B) a soulless husk. It also says the Retreat method is a spiritual Inheritance and that the Horror retains some of its thinking capacity. So is the Retreat essentially the Beast's equivalent to the afterlife, or did your character become a soulless human after they were separated from each other?
      Your body is dead, the retreat only occurs if the beast dies while separate from their horror. Not really beast afterlife, it's just the horror unchained from the beast. If you're lucky, you can shove part of your mind into the horror just before you die but.... that's if your lucky.

And finally, the Incarnate method says that your character has become one with their lair, as opposed to merely dwelling within it. And this, somehow, makes you one of the most powerful creatures in the Chronicles of Darkness. This is perhaps the most vague of them all, since I was given to understand that the lair is an extension of your soul and develops itself based on your experiences. So I don't see how it's not already a part of you.
      It doesn't say you become one with your lair, it says you draw your horror into yourself and become one entity. Except it's harmonious and grand because of your cementing of your myth, rather than the abomination that is the rampant.

I'd say the Rampant really does become the Horror, but not in its full glory as its ties to the larger Dream has been severed (what with the Lair collapsing and all). By this point, the Horror rules from the core (y'know, ones using Dread Powers) are more apt in representing them. They're also a mindless monster that only knows Hunger.
      You say that as if we don't have complete rules on the Rampant.
      Last edited by milo v3; 12-30-2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post

You say that as if we don't have complete rules on the Rampant.
        Oops.

Man, the Beast rules always slip my mind right through more than the others.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

You should finish your read (or skip to the relevent section, page 234 is the start of the section Milo referenced). There are rules for the Inheritances, and sample characters. But you are generally right, they aren't really fully playable anymore.

Comment

You can almost play an Incarnate Beast, provided everyone else is playing one. It's not really something we'd cover with specific advice in books, but it's like playing Heroes: it's your table; you do you.

I guess you could play Rampant if you wanted to do a Slasher style game. You'd probably have to give them a little more agency, though, as they're not all that discerning beyond EAT at that point. It could be a neat one off, provided everyone's into it.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
            Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Okay, so I got to the part where it talks about it more in depth. One possible feature of the Incarnate inheritence allows your to "gain a size" equal to your Lair. Assuming I interpret that as your Lair being added to your normal size (instead of replacing it), that would mean an 8 to 10 Lair incarnate could grow to be anywhere between Size 13 to Size 15, and that's without taking any size effecting Merits like "Giant!"

So an Incarnate busts out their monster form and this happen:

Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-19-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X