Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conquering Heroes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Conquering Heroes

    Do you think you can break the Hero's narrative? Are you sure? The Conquering Heroes are here to put you to the test.

    Discuss.


    CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean

  • #2
    The Insatiable are cool. I don't understand some of their mechanics though.
    The Storyteller then makes an extended and contested roll using the Insatiable’s Strength + Satiety versus the Beast’s Composure + Willpower. For each point of Satiety above 5 the Beast has, her player receives a -1 penalty to her roll, and for each point below 5, he receives a +1 bonus. For each success the Insatiable achieves, they move the Beast’s Composure or Presence down by 1. When both Attributes reach zero, the Insatiable successfully subverts the Beast’s consciousness and gains control for one hour for each point of Satiety the Beast has.
    Is that every success rolled? Or every successful roll?

    What happens if the Beast wins the roll?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
      The Insatiable are cool. I don't understand some of their mechanics though.


      Is that every success rolled? Or every successful roll?

      What happens if the Beast wins the roll?
      Probably something to save for the errata thread when it goes up.



      Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

      VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
      Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

      Comment


      • #4
        This is exciting. I can't wait to buy it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
          Is that every success rolled? Or every successful roll?
          Since it says every success, I'd imagine it's referring to every 8, 9, or 10 rolled.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nofather View Post

            Since it says every success, I'd imagine it's referring to every 8, 9, or 10 rolled.
            I think Inodiv means that, because it's an Extended Contested roll, it's a little unclear what the Beast's resistance does if it's every success.



            Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

            VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
            Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
              I think Inodiv means that, because it's an Extended Contested roll, it's a little unclear what the Beast's resistance does if it's every success.
              Oh I see. Well, contested actions pit two groups of successes against one another, successes basically cancelling each other out until one side has more. So in this case it would be every 8, 9 and 10 more than the Beast.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nofather View Post

                Oh I see. Well, contested actions pit two groups of successes against one another, successes basically cancelling each other out until one side has more. So in this case it would be every 8, 9 and 10 more than the Beast.
                It doesn't usually work that way, though? At least I don't think it does by default... Whatever the case, if that's the intent, I agree that it could use a clarification.



                Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

                VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
                Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

                  It doesn't usually work that way, though? At least I don't think it does by default... Whatever the case, if that's the intent, I agree that it could use a clarification.
                  This would be the first instance I'm aware of in the entire system.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                    This would be the first instance I'm aware of in the entire system.
                    'When two characters are competing, and you only need to know who comes out on top, use a contested action. In a contested action, each player rolls a pool for their character (such as an Attribute + Skill pool), and the character for whom the most successes are rolled wins the contest.'

                    It doesn't actually cancel out the Successes, but the effect is similar. If I roll 1 success and you roll 2, only your extra one counts.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nofather View Post

                      'When two characters are competing, and you only need to know who comes out on top, use a contested action. In a contested action, each player rolls a pool for their character (such as an Attribute + Skill pool), and the character for whom the most successes are rolled wins the contest.'

                      It doesn't actually cancel out the Successes, but the effect is similar. If I roll 1 success and you roll 2, only your extra one counts.
                      It's partially that contested actions aren't typically extended, so they don't often have set successes. Anyway, it's not that hard to clarify, so hopefully the errata thread will be up soonish.



                      Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

                      VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
                      Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So can someone tell me just what the Insatiable are?


                        Just call me Lex.

                        Female pronouns for me, please.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          It doesn't actually cancel out the Successes, but the effect is similar. If I roll 1 success and you roll 2, only your extra one counts.
                          The text doesn't support that at all. Contested Rolls Track Pass/Fail, there's no subtracting successes based on the other party's roll. The system has never worked that way, which makes the bit of text in this book a really weird implementation that is almost definitely some sort of error.

                          One reason the two concepts really aren't that similar: If I roll 5 and you roll 4, I still get an exceptional success, not a single, simple success.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                            So can someone tell me just what the Insatiable are?
                            Sure. Here you go!
                            The Lamashtu. The Obscene Ones. The Nightmares of Beasts. No matter their true name, the Beasts
                            know them by one name in particular that best describes who and what they are: the Insatiable. They are not
                            just creatures whose Hunger cannot be sated, but entities that forcefully intrude into the world and disrupt
                            the ebb and flow of the Primordial Dream with their actions. They are creatures made of
                            concepts alien to how humanity thinks. They are the nightmare that is the Hunger left
                            unchecked and given horrific form, and they feed not just upon the dreams of man
                            but on the fears of the Beasts themselves. They are monsters whose hunger cannot
                            be reined in, and it is from this lust to fill the emptiness inside of them
                            that they gain their powers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                              The text doesn't support that at all. Contested Rolls Track Pass/Fail, there's no subtracting successes based on the other party's roll. The system has never worked that way, which makes the bit of text in this book a really weird implementation that is almost definitely some sort of error.

                              One reason the two concepts really aren't that similar: If I roll 5 and you roll 4, I still get an exceptional success, not a single, simple success.
                              Which is why I said similar, and not exactly the same. I probably could have used a different term, but there's very few situations where it would matter. Exceptional Successes are a special case, and don't matter in the example you're asking about, where there's no Exceptional Success bonus and all that matters is whether you've gotten more successes than the other person, and possibly how many.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X