[Fiction] Homecoming Queen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fiction] Homecoming Queen

Beast focused fiction I wrote. Thought that sharing it here would not hurt. Criticism, in all senses, is really appreciated.

Chapter 1

Seven years ago

Summer was about to end.

It was only the middle of August but, for what concerned Mother’s Hollow, the season was living its last days. It was in the wind, cold and restless, and in the warmth of the sun, slowly but steadily becoming weaker. Helena did not mind. For starters, it would have meant that she would not have to spend her days dealing with Tim and his friends. The lack of school meant they all had too much free time to spare and it seemed that their favorite hobby was to pick on Helena and Polly. The fact that Polly was Tim’s sister only made things worse, because the little girl could not avoid him, and thus Helena was always forced to go help her friend. Something that had begun to tire her. Even at such young age, Helena could tell nobody had the right to torment others like that.

“Aren’t you scared?” gasped Polly, her breath cut short from running.

“No” replied Helena. She was scared of things that had nothing to do with a bunch of bored ten-years-old kids. She opened a way through the corn stalks and kept it open until Polly passed through.

“But they might hurt you! They really seems to have bad intentions this time!” babbled the little girl.

“I don’t think they will”. Tim did that, once. He pushed Helena down because she did not want to give him the toy horse she was playing with. Considering he had the tendency to break his sister’s toys on purpose, Helena could not see that as good idea. He told him, calmly, and after ten seconds of muted anger, he charged at her and throw her to the ground. Helena did not say a thing, but her parents did. They had Tim and Polly’s mother called before she could finish doing the laundry and warned her, angrily. She apologized to Helena’s parents and promised she would take measures. Polly later told Helena that once home her parents scolded Tim for hours and punished him for the following month. She mentioned they said many times “you can make your family lose their jobs”, but she did not understand what that meant. Helena did.

It was not something the others explained to her, but she figured out herself. The fact that Polly’s mother was only one of the many that cleaned Helena’s house, that her father worked the land Helena’s father lend him, and that they both called Helena’s parents “Mister and Mrs Prescott” while they replied to them using their first names and giving them orders meant something. The fact Helena had better toys and dresses, lived in a bigger house and that she was treated like a princess meant something. The fact that her family’s name was on a good portion of the town buildings meant something too. Not that Helena cared, Polly was her friend and once upon a time even Tim was nice to have around, but she could see. See the reason why Tim was always so angry at her even if she did nothing, which was also the same reason he would be punished if he had touch her. Most importantly, she could also see that Polly was beginning to notice that too, the gap between them that was widening with time. There was a look in Polly’s eyes sometimes, when she had to leave the Prescott estate and get back home, or that time she had to watch when Mrs Prescott brought her daughter to ride one of their horses, that Helena could not help but to notice. Boundaries, growing. Not a nice feeling, especially when you feel helpless about it.

“But you’re scared and I don’t want them to hurt you, so we’re running” she finally added.

“Thanks, Lena” said Polly, panting but smiling.

Helena replied to to that smile with one of her own. Polly was her only friend. Care, not the only girl of her age she spent time with, but her only friend indeed, at least for how she saw it. Helena’s parents were always worried about her meditative attitude and the fact that she loved to spend so much time alone, thus regularly presented new people to socialize, possibly not coming from the families of the staff members. Helena always complied and, to be honest, she was brilliant at it. All the mothers called her the perfect girl, well-taught and charming, and the other girls just adored her. But that was just Helena doing her thing. The others were not necessarily bad (most of them, at least) and it would not be true to say she did not like their presence, but they came looking for Helena Prescott. Only Polly was there for Lena.

“You know where we are going?” asked Polly, her voice betraying again her rising preoccupation.

“Not really” admitted Helena. They were running through an old corn maze not far from the Prescott estate, but while Helena had explored a remarkable amount of surroundings, especially considering her tender age, she always steered clear of that maze, for reasons she found herself unable to explain. Not that day. “This seemed a good place to hide, so here we are”

“But…”

“We won’t get lost” interrupted Helena. She meant it. Somehow, she did not know where they were headed, but she was adamantly sure that she could not lose the direction here.

“I heard them, this way!” screamed a voice behind them. Teddy, if Helena was correct. Tim’s best friend and the one Helena despised the most. Before Teddy, Tim was merely a lump of anger and frustration, but one that would sometimes fade and show the friend he once was, both to Helena and his sister. Someone you could deal with and made him remember that they used to spend entire days together, just the three of them. Not always, but still. After meeting Teddy though, the Tim Helena used to like became a rarer and rarer apparition.

“Hurry” she whispered to Polly

The little girl just nodded.

The two kept running across the maize, Helena opening the way effortlessly while Polly tried to follow. Eventually, the distance between the two grew too much.

“Lena!”

Helena turned around. Polly was nowhere to be seen. How could she leave her behind and not notice? Despicable. truly despicable. Helena had not enough time to recriminate before a scream cut the air.

She run straight into a direction she knew to be the right one, only to find Polly kneeled down crying, with Teddy holding pulling her hair.

“Once I’m done with her, I’m going to take your golden hair as well and..”

Teddy could not finish the phrase because Helena had already landed a punch right between his eyes. He fell down, not sure whether to feel the confusion or the pain first. He went for both.

When he managed to get up, the two girls were gone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Lena, that was awesome!” shouted Polly.

Helena found herself in agreement, that felt great, but said nothing. “We’re almost there, Polly”.

“There where?”

Good question, one Helena could not reply to. No matter how much the situation seemed dangerous at the time, it was as if them being chased by a bunch of boys armed with sticks was not the most pressing matter. There was something bigger happening in that maze, something Helena kept thinking about but could not identify. Not yet.

When the seemingly endless stalks of corn suddenly ended, she could not hide her surprise.

Helena and Polly ran all that time only to end in a small circular clear within the maize. But they were not alone: in the middle of it, crudely impaled on a rusty iron bar, there was an old scarecrow. The odd figure had known better days but somehow time had not diminished the effectiveness of its appearance. The stitched features, tattered clothes and dark sockets it had for eyes were exactly as scary as they originally were, perhaps even more. Time turned it from a puppet into a something that was more akin to the corpse of something that was never born.

Helena felt a shiver down her spine when she looked at it, but found herself unable to look away.

“Lena, they’re coming, we should move” said Polly. She probably was not wrong, but Helena ignored her suggestion, slowly moving towards the center of the clear.

“We’ll be fine, Polly. Nothing will happen to us” said Helena coldly.

“I would not be so sure about that” commented a voice coming from the maize. Teddy Merril made his appearance. He carved a clumsy path through the corn by swinging the crude duck-taped hockey bat he carried around when he wanted to look tough. It was not a property of his, but rather a dismissed thing from his own big brother which looked too big for him, something nobody dared to underline. “Hey boys, I found the lost puppies!” he screamed with all his lungs. Soon after, Tim and the others arrived.

Helena and Polly were surrounded.

“Hey Tim, your sister is crying. And we have not done anything yet!” he mocked. It was true, Polly had begun sobbing quietly, still trying to not disappoint her older brother.

Tim said something under his breath and then walked forward towards Polly “You idiot should not had run. You made this worse now” he barked at the little girl.

“Stop and I won’t hurt you, Tim. Last warning” said Helena.

“Shut up, Helena. It’s my sister.” replied Tim.

“Yes, she is. Which means you should not be doing this. And if you do, I will hurt you.”

Tim looked at Helena, his mouth distorted in a struggle. For an instant, he looked at the crying figure at his feet and Helena saw an opening. But then Teddy took the helm.

“Come on Helena, we’re just playing. We’re the soldiers and you’re the enemies on the run. But we caught you and this mean we get to torture you. Those are simple rules, aren’t they?”

“Neither I or Polly ever agreed to play. We were just hanging around until you all arrived, looking for trouble. When Polly said she did not want to have anything to do with your games, you chased us” replied Helena. “And you won’t torture anybody, Theodore”. She knew well he hated being called like that.

Teddy’s face quickly became red, losing all the pretense and attitude he had. “Well, you’re not in the position to choose, rich bitch. There’s nobody around and while Tim might be afraid to hit you, I am not. My father’s is not on your payroll and I would not care anyways!” he shouted. “Tim! Pick up your stupid sister and make me space!”

Tim grabbed Polly by her arms and lifted her. He whispered a faint “sorry sis” that Helena managed to hear, but Teddy apparently did not.

Teddy tried to make a great scene of moving his bat around, trying to intimidate the Helena and even his own friends. To be fair, most of them were already tense because the situation was slipping out of hand but none of them had the courage to say or do anything, to speak against Teddy and the group. As for Helena, she was not impressed. Teddy made a few fake swings at her, stopping right before hitting her slim figure, but Helena did not flinch. Teddy laughed at this, but to Helena this was clearly a nervous laughter.

Teddy stopped and looked around. Grey clouds were covering the sun, the wind moving all the stalks around them. Everyone was looking at him. It was getting cold. He swung another time. Helena noticed this one was different and quickly raised her arms to cover her head. It still hurt a lot and she still kneeled down.

Teddy laughed again.

It took a while for Helena to regain control and suppress the pain enough to move again. Her left arm pulsated and she could feel she scratched her knee when she fell down. Her dress was covered in dirt now. Aside from some almost silent gaps of pain, she did not say a word. Teddy was not even looking her at, being fixated on the others in some sort of search for approval and admiration. Helena kept her gaze on him at first but then something happened. Helena felt the need to look up and she saw the scarecrow, towering over like the guardian he was supposed to be. She then looked at the seemingly endless maze of corn around all of them. There was something there, walking behind the rows.

That’s when Helena remembered she had already been here, many, many times. That, or rather a place, an ideal of that location, was where she ended up in her nightmares. She just forgot about that every time she woke up. But now she was here, and she felt at home.

Helena stood up, taking the dust off of her dress. Teddy turned around.

“Damn, you there’s nothing that scares you, am I right?” he asked, frustrated by the fact that Helena seemed even more calm than before.

“That’s not true” she calmly replied “I’m scared of this place, for example. I’m scared of this scarecrow, I’m scared of all the crows that are flying above us and I sure am scared of the thing that is circling around us, drawing closer. That is what scares me, not you. But I do believe you should be afraid too”

As Helena finished saying this, it was as if something broke in the mind of the boys around. The air grew still and the wind died, leaving place only to the rare screeches of distant scrows and the unexplainable but undeniable sensation that something huge was getting closer.

Most of them ran away immediately. Teddy remained for just few seconds more, unable to look away from Helena and the scarecrow over her, as if the two were a single that was staring deep into his soul, tearing apart all the pretense of toughness he tried to put on both for himself and the others, leaving behind only a terrified kid. He then fled away as well, screaming loudly.

Helena looked at the scene, cold yet satisfied, and moved towards Polly and Tim.

“Leave. You don’t want to be make my Mother angry, Tim” said Helena.

“Y-your m-mother is not h-here” he stuttered while soiling his pants.

“She is.” she replied with her glacial eyes fixated on him.

Tim attempted to reply but the words died in his throat. He hastily left.

Polly hugged Helena with force. “Oh Lena, I was so scared! I don’t know what you did but I’m glad you were here.” She cleaned the tears away from her eyes and said “We need to get home, Lena. Our parents will be worried.”

She then looked at Helena and just smiled before turning around and beginning to walk.

Helena returned the smile this time too, but it was not a sincere one this time. As soon as Polly was not looking anymore, she quietly whispered “I’ll return home, someday”

After all, her Mother had just come to check on her and be sure she was doing well.
    Last edited by Cinder; 01-11-2017, 09:07 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
    Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Waiting feverishly as instructed

Gonna edit because the forum killed my paragraphs. Be a little patient, please.

Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Comment

I assume that this is yours

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        I assume that this is yours

Yup, you got me

Comment

It's been a while since I checked in on your stories, again. I can't wait to see what else you come up.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
            It's been a while since I checked in on your stories, again. I can't wait to see what else you come up.
            You've been following my stuff? Thanks man, that means a lot. I know I need to improve my fiction writing and it's good to know you're interested

Comment

Well I've been thinking of doing some fiction of my own based on the stuff I've been posting here, whether it's my Homebrew or contributions to LostLight's. That said, I'd be happy to collaborate with you if you ever ask.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Well I've been thinking of doing some fiction of my own based on the stuff I've been posting here, whether it's my Homebrew or contributions to LostLight's. That said, I'd be happy to collaborate with you if you ever ask.

Heck, the whole reason I bought any of the books was for fiction material. I don't have the attention span for memorizing all the mechanics, and I don't know anybody who I could play with. But I love the theme and the setting of the franchise.
                Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-15-2017, 02:39 AM.

Comment

I appreciate. I'm trying to improve my fiction writing (something I really need to do, considering the fact people don't seem to like my fiction threads much), but most of my homebrew efforts go towards the games I run, so on that side I don't offer much. Plenty of ideas outside of that, but I never sit down and put them on paper.

Speaking of fiction, I created this Beast-focused setting I have fun with, but all is good as long as I make practice.

That said, you people only have to ask. I'm up for anything, to be honest.
                  Last edited by Cinder; 01-23-2017, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                    (considering the fact people don't seem to like my fiction threads much),

Well, I was disappointed that the first story turned out to be focused on a Hero. I kept thinking it was a homecoming story in which he was going to become a Beast eventually. Frankly, I think the Brood should have just saved themselves a future headache and just offed the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Well, I was disappointed that the first story turned out to be focused on a Hero. I kept thinking it was a homecoming story in which he was going to become a Beast eventually. Frankly, I think the Brood should have just saved themselves a future headache and just offed the kid.
                      Got plans for him, I hope that perhaps you'll like him more next time. But the current story is Beast-focused all around

Comment

Working...
                      X