[Fiction] A Devouring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fiction] A Devouring

So I made Beast character for a game I ended up leaving a couple months ago( I wasn't a good fit for the game), and I thought I'd share my character's Devouring Dream for fun. Hope you enjoy!

The Nightmare

It began the same, his dream, his nightmare. Always he finds himself deep underground, walking down a road wide enough to be a highway and with a ceiling reaching high above. The road and it's walls are carved from the living earth around him, and polished to a marble like gleam. As if to further this likeness, veins have been carved in the walls, through which lava flows, down into canals on either side of the road, providing light and heating the air like an oven. Having seen lava flows when awake, he knows it should reek of sulfur, and yet only the smell of the dusty earth surrounding him is present. At last he comes to The Door, The Door is a testament to the skill of it's artisan, carved into it's surface is a mural of incredible beauty and depth. Artorias has never been able to finish the story no matter how many times he has the dream, as a longing he has known since this first began compels him forward. The Door is too impossibly massive for him to ever hope to open and yet it does so of it's own accord as he approaches it.

As he steps through, he just stops and stares, even the longing cannot compel him to do otherwise for the first few moments. Before him lays a lake of lava and fire residing within a massive cavern, molten falls dot the landscape, four of which land on that which inspires his awe. Rising out of the lake's center is a huge four tiered city. Built with the same architecture as the road behind him, the city is beautiful, the four lava falls land in basins at the top tier and spill down channels carved throughout the city lighting it with a warm inner glow. Garden terraces are dotted around the outer ring of each tier, although how the plants survive the heat is completely beyond him. At the summit of the city, lies his destination, the coliseum. The only way to reach the city is by crossing the bridge at the other end of the courtyard that The Door opens too.

As he steps onto the bridge, the nightmare begins. He feels It awaken. It knows he's here, and as always it waits for the next step, the one that always dams him. Like countless nights after the first, he fights the longing and it's compulsion to move forward, because now he knows what waits. He fails. With his very next step a thunderous roar shakes the entire cavern, as if signalling the start of Ragnarok it drives terror into his heart and he begins sprinting. The first night, he never made it across, he was too slow, but since than he's been practicing. Now he makes it to the city, it's gates wide open as a dark figure leaps from the coliseum and takes wing, above it, impossibly, a storm begins to form. No matter how fast he runs, no matter what route he takes, hopping molten streams, crossing through gardens or leaping through windows and buildings, it comes. It always circles at first, taunting him, letting him know he can't escape, it doesn't matter. He keeps going, as he reaches the second tier, it begins it's game.

Invisible against the backdrop of the storm brewing above, It dives at him from the corner of his vision, just out of sight, but giving just enough warning that he's able to jump and dodge out of the way. Pitch black scales leading to razor sharp claws put gouges in the polished stone roads, collapse buildings in on each other as Artorias ducks though them, and rends market stalls to shreds, wherever he happens to be, nothing can rebuff it claws. Upon reaching the third tier he hear's the intake of it's breath as it begins raining fire upon him. Never a direct it, it sears and burns him none the less. Stone statues melt to slag, foliage he used for cover ignites into infernos, and buildings become scorched husks when he takes shelter in their alleys. At last he reaches the fourth tier. The storm has now reach full strength blotting out the cavern ceiling, hovering over the city. It releases another roar, the hatred contained within could level mountains. In addition to the fire, Artorias is now dodging lightning as he sprints for the coliseum and the confrontation that awaits him there. Heart pounding, Artorias weaves through the statues that stand sentinel along the path hoping they can shield him from the onslaught for even a second.

When he finally enters the coliseum, he is unable to rest, as the longing is stronger than ever and compels him into the area. Shortly after, It, arrives, the source of his terror. The Dragon. It slams onto the arena floor with bone jarring force, that barely seems to faze it. Artorias can't look away, for all the pain it's caused, the beast is magnificent. Black scales gleam in the molten glow, enhanced by the blue-green of it's wing membranes and standing over 20 ft. tall, it's as if a storm's fury took physical form. The dragon approaches him, smoke rising from it's nostrils, and stands before him. "KNEEL" Every night for years, since he could make it to the summit, the dragon has approached him thus, and every night, Artorias gave into his terror, knelt, and died horribly for it. Tonight however, was different. Artorias was rightly terrified as he was each night before, but for the first time, he had had enough.

He looked at the towering engine of devastation standing over him, looked it in the eye, and said, "No". It laughed. If it's roar was the signal for Armageddon, it's laugh was the death toll of the world, as if the moon shattered and rained down upon the earth. "FINALLY" And it swallowed him whole. Agony like he'd never felt before, in all the previous dreams it killed him by some other means, crushing, burning, slicing, but never has he been eaten. At long last the pain ended, along with everything else. Artorias died that night, and was reborn. He awoke in the shape of his tormentor, with a final message echoing in his mind. "KEEP YOUR WITS ABOUT YOU, TRUE TESTS, NEVER END"

*Sees the Dragon Age: Origins reference...but then look inside own Lair to the Great Worm that slumbers deep beneath the blasted sand wastes...*

May your passing cleans the world.
    Last edited by Dusksage; 01-16-2017, 05:42 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
      *Sees the Dragon Age: Origins reference...but then look inside own Lair to the Great Worm that slumbers deep beneath the blasted sand wastes...*

May your passing cleans the world.
      Ahhhhhhh dawg, you saw the reference, I tip my internet hat to you and your Dune worm!

Comment

Hey, it was a great story, the concept is solid, and I dare anyone to read it without having a few goose bumps go up their back.

Comment

Working...
        X