Populating your lair.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Populating your lair.

Has anyone played a BtP game where you filled your lair with some sort of lair spawn? Something like weak cannon fodder monsters that leave the lair and abduct victims to bring back to the lair, and also defend it from invaders? I was thinking of letting my players use Allies for this, but I would rather make dread horrors from the CofD core. The problem is balancing it as a merit or atavism. Any ideas or experiences that come to mind?

Offense is rarely given, but often taken.

I'd suggest hiring a necromancer, and filling the lair with zombies, they don't need to be payed, don't sleep, and don't eat. Perfect minions. You could use the retainer merit, at 1 zombie per dot. Or if you have an actual necromancer in the party, do so in game. Bam.

Comment

You can skin the Jagged, Stinging, Swarms, Undergrowth, Corrosive, Crushing and Razored Lair Traits as legions of minions fairly easily, possibly a few of the others as well. It's not perfect, but it keeps things simple and you don't have to worry about rolling for another set of NPCs whenever the Lair gets invaded.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
      [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
      [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Your3rdShadow View Post
        I'd suggest hiring a necromancer, and filling the lair with zombies, they don't need to be payed, don't sleep, and don't eat. Perfect minions. You could use the retainer merit, at 1 zombie per dot. Or if you have an actual necromancer in the party, do so in game. Bam.
        The "Zombies!" tilt from the 2e core book is also excellent for this purpose and could be reskinned into pretty much any type of minion hoard.

CofD booklists:
        Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
          You can skin the Jagged, Stinging, Swarms, Undergrowth, Corrosive, Crushing and Razored Lair Traits as legions of minions fairly easily, possibly a few of the others as well. It's not perfect, but it keeps things simple and you don't have to worry about rolling for another set of NPCs whenever the Lair gets invaded.
          I thought about this, but it doesn't solve the problem of them acting as minions. Its less about using them as a defense, and more about using them as henchman.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
            The "Zombies!" tilt from the 2e core book is also excellent for this purpose and could be reskinned into pretty much any type of minion hoard.
            Good idea. How much do you think it should be worth dot wise?

Comment

Originally posted by Your3rdShadow View Post
              Hmm. It is a good place to start, but I want them to be more thematic to the beast in question, and occasionally cause unintended mischief outside the lair. I might have to make my own merit.

Comment

Originally posted by K9ine View Post
                Good idea. How much do you think it should be worth dot wise?
                Well, it's an environmental tilt. You should be able to take it as one of your lair traits.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Now I'm having trouble finding the rules surrounding how a supernatural being utilizes being able to use primordial pathways with permission but assuming a ghost given permission can travel between the two (lair and naterial) freely why not have your minions be collected ghosts? While in your lair they are material (only the material world has twilight) so that in itself can be a bargaining tool. Maybe they want to capture those from their life so they can be empowered by being remembered. Maybe a hero wants to save their sister who is one of the ghosts the beasts lair houses (tragedy of her not being a prisoner but being already dead).

Maybe even you lair can act like the underworld as a lair trait, providing 1 essance per rank to ghosts inside. (If allowed would probably be best to require one of the chambers being linked or connected to the underworld).

Edit: The rules are under 'be my guest' and they would allow the concept of ghosts traveling between your lair and the material! (yay)
                  Last edited by Mr.F.I.X.; 01-17-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                    Now I'm having trouble finding the rules surrounding how a supernatural being utilizes being able to use primordial pathways with permission but assuming a ghost given permission can travel between the two (lair and naterial) freely why not have your minions be collected ghosts? While in your lair they are material (only the material world has twilight) so that in itself can be a bargaining tool. Maybe they want to capture those from their life so they can be empowered by being remembered. Maybe a hero wants to save their sister who is one of the ghosts the beasts lair houses (tragedy of her not being a prisoner but being already dead).

Maybe even you lair can act like the underworld as a lair trait, providing 1 essance per rank to ghosts inside. (If allowed would probably be best to require one of the chambers being linked or connected to the underworld).
                    Awesome idea for a lair trait! I also love this because some of my favourite Beasts are the ones who have kinship with the monsters that aren't player splats. I've love to run a Beast game that was just Beasts, Spirts, and Ghosts to start with.

CofD booklists:

Comment

If I was making this Beast, the Horror would be a great skeleton-lord and the Lair his court on a plain of bones.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                        Awesome idea for a lair trait! I also love this because some of my favourite Beasts are the ones who have kinship with the monsters that aren't player splats. I've love to run a Beast game that was just Beasts, Spirts, and Ghosts to start with.
                        Glad you like the lair trait, 'Underworld connection' I feel would be a apt name. Even if it has no effect on intruders at all being able to supply essence to ghosts should be enough of a boon to qualify. If not maybe call on some of the features of the underworld like, 'cold' or 'maze' but those I feel should probably be separate traits in themselves.

Comment

For minions, maybe the Staff merit could be of value.

Comment

I definitely second that staff may be the best method to represent this mechanically rather than purchasing each individual guard as a retainer. This is definitely a case where staff fits better than the retainer merit.

An additional type of creature a beast could use would be hobgoblins I also realized. With the emotions a beast or even their horror causes hobgoblin could just sit back and gather glamour. In exchange for guarding the place they have the promise of energy!

Comment

Edit: The rules are under 'be my guest' and they would allow the concept of ghosts traveling between your lair and the material! (yay)
                              This is a good idea for comming up with story hooks, but thematically I want the lair spawn to look a bit like the horror in the lair, and have lessor ativism like abilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X