Horrors with many Atavisms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrors with many Atavisms

As a rule, we are told Atavisms, makeup of the Horror, and to a lesser degree Lair Traits tend to reflect each other, the latter two being highly flexible in this regard thank to the malleable dream logic they are built upon. As a character creation thought experiment, let's assume an elder or Incarnate Beast ends up acquiring most or even almost all Atavisms with enough time and effort. Which kind of mythological monster archetype seems most appropriate in the first place for this kind of chimerical Horror ? Assuming the Beast starts with a more 'vanilla' kind of monster concept, how the Horror would end up looking like, after acquiring so many Atavisms ? How the structure and Traits of the Lair would be influenced ? I am driven to think draconic creatures or certain kinds of mythological hybrids (chimeras, griffins, manticores) might be appropriate to represent almost all Atavisms with a few tweaks.
    Last edited by Irioth; 01-17-2017, 05:04 PM.

Greek Titan, The Kraken, Dragons, the Devil.

Comment

The Gigantes

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Plus it also depends on how you display it. I know there's a species of turtle real world that feeds on poisonous mushrooms and consequently the turtle itself is toxic to eat. So some atavisms could just be represented as side effects of it's enviorment and eating habits. (Yes I'm picturing an f*ed up version of the whole sword that has killed so many people it catches fire thing being adapted to explain how this thing can breath fire.)

Comment

Dragons are an option for sure. Every family has at least one Atavism that fits typical draconic imagery. Chimeras and manticores also make a lot of sense, and I would additionally suggest Echidna and Typhon.

Comment

Anything big, smart, with wings would cover the standard Anakim and Ugallu atavisms. Add magic or elementalism or just a big brain and you have Makara.

Cthulhu, for instance, seems like a Beast version of him would have most Atavisms, lacking only a few like Dragonfire, Shadowed Soul and From the Shadows.

It's worth keeping in mind the Atavisms are fairly flexible as well. Storm-Lashed is bent towards making a rainstorm, but it could easily be changed to a blizzard, or a sandstorm.
            Last edited by nofather; 01-18-2017, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Horrors based on sorcerers and witches could justify the purchase of many Atavisms as pseudo-spells. Nightmares would work really well as various types of curses and hexes. There could even be a Nightmare gained through Kinship with True Fae and certain Mages that makes the target act in an animalistic manner (and with Satiety Expenditure, actually gives them animalistic body parts).
              Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 01-18-2017, 11:00 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Think about something like Ungoliant: Huge, smart, stealthy, deadly, long-limbed, poisonous... Except for Dragonfire, you can probably cram every atavism on her + some of the homebrew stuff from here.

Comment

Thinking on it a horror based off a sufficiently intelligent concept could get away with using various tools to simulate their atavisims.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                    Thinking on it a horror based off a sufficiently intelligent concept could get away with using various tools to simulate their atavisims.
                    Did you mean a Sufficiently Advanced Alien? If so, I agree.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Working...
                    X