Beast: The Primordial Resources

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beast: The Primordial Resources

I did this for Promethean and Geist a while ago, and I'm seeing more people new to Beast on the forum, so I thought I'd make one of these threads for them as well. The purpose of this thread is to gather resources that are useful for running a Beast game. While Beast is a crossover game, I'm only planning to include books that pertain to Beasts directly from other lines, such as Astral Realms. That said, if you feel I have neglected an important resource, let me know and I will add it in!

2e
    Beast: the Primordial
    Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes
    Ready-Made Characters

Chronicles of Darkness
    Dark Eras
    - Beneath the Skin (2e Skinchangers)
    - Dark Era - Sundered World (Pangaeans)
    Dark Eras Companion
    - A Fearful Lesson
    - Fall of Isireion (Sekhem Sorcerers and The Legio)
    - Lifting the Veil
    Hurt Locker

1e
    Antagonists
    Astral Realms
    Book of Spirits
    Book of the Dead
    Dancers in the Dusk
    Glimpses of the Unknown
    Horror Recognition Guide
    Immortals
    Inferno
    Innocents
    Midnight Roads
    Mysterious Places
    Night Horrors: Wicked Dead (Non-Kindred Vampires & Strix)
    Night Horrors: Wolfsbane (Spirits &Idigam)
    Predators (Spirits & Claimed)
    Slasher
    Skinchangers
    Summoners (Spirits, Supernal Beings, Ghosts, Supernal Cryptids, Abyssal Beings, & weird stuff)
    Tooth and Nail
    Proverbial Monsters
    Urban Legends
    War Against the Pure (Non-Werewolf Lycanthropes)
    Last edited by Second Chances; 06-17-2017, 04:15 PM.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

I would recommend adding some Blue Book material related to unique monsters and locations. I know some were listed as part of the Kickstarted add ons, but can't remember exactly what they were called.

I say this because Kinship, and discovery play a large enough roll in Beast even before adding crossover elements. So having books that showcase just the general weirdness you can do with the score setting, or even just including the WofD Core specifically for it's Horror creation section, would be a good resource for budding STs.

EDIT: Completely overlooked that you put CofD on the list already. Still recommend some of the setting and antagonist Blue Books from 1E though.
    Last edited by Dusksage; 01-17-2017, 03:38 PM. Reason: Oops

Comment

That's a good point. The books that were Add-Ons for Beast were Antagonists, Glimpses of the Unknown, Mysterious Places, Mysterious Roads, & Urban Legends. I'll add them to the lists, and I'm also going to include Innocents, since child characters and NPCs seems to show up with surprising regularity in Beast.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Good idea, totally forgot about Innocents. Should be also throw in Book of Spirits, Book of the Dead, and Inferno in there for good measure? Beasts don't exclusively deal with them like Werewolves/Sin-Eaters/anyone unfortunate enough to run afoul of them respectively, but they do cover them in a way that's very universal and would allow Beasts to still explore some of the metaphysical and spiritual aspects of the Chronicles of Darkness? (plus CofD Core also has the God Machine Chronicles in it so all the main info on the God Machine and it's Angels are already a part of the list.)

OH! And add Damnation City, that would work wonders for setting up the Hive even with just Beasts and Fortean Horrors present.
        Last edited by Dusksage; 01-17-2017, 08:45 PM. Reason: Almost forgot Damnation City! *facepalm*

Comment

I was confused that Proverbial monsters didn't make that list.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
            I was confused thathttp://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Proverbial_Monsters"] Proverbial monster[/URL]s didn't make that list.
            Limited brain power and a non-encyclopedic memory of WW's books. It'/ going on the list tomorrow, along with Skinchangers, Inferno, Immortals and the Night Horrors books. I may also toss Summoners in there too.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Hmm....Maybe there should be a referential catagory? Supernal and Abyssal entities make up the majority of Summoners, but it's Outsider section is fantastic and great for all settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
                Hmm....Maybe there should be a referential catagory? Supernal and Abyssal entities make up the majority of Summoners, but it's Outsider section is fantastic and great for all settings.
                Maybe. I could be swung either way, although the entire thing is really a reference section. I'm just pegging off the books that contain unique monsters in them, hence Summoners, Night Horrors, and War Against the Pure.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Ok, just wasn't sure of the full extent of the list's parameters.

Comment

I was confused that Proverbial monsters didn't make that list.
                    Wow, I had never heard of that book. Doesn't even look like it is available on Drivethru. Weird.

Comment

It's not a Chronicles of Darkness book but I'd really recommend Stephen Asma’s On Monsters: An Unnatural History of Our Worst Fears. It's in the Inspiration section in Beast's core and upon reading it you would immediately see that it had a huge impact on the formation of Beast, including the formation of the Families and the overall raison d'etre.
                      Last edited by nofather; 01-18-2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daigotsu Max View Post

Wow, I had never heard of that book. Doesn't even look like it is available on Drivethru. Weird.
                        I dont know what happened to it but it took proverbs like "All that glitters is not gold" and made a monster out of it. That one in particular felt like it could be a Beast Rampant , as it feed upon the greedy who attempted to seek the wealth it 'had'.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I forgot to include the Horror Recognition Guide from Hunter, so I have updated the first post.

CofD booklists:

Comment

I dont know what happened to it but it took proverbs like "All that glitters is not gold" and made a monster out of it. That one in particular felt like it could be a Beast Rampant , as it feed upon the greedy who attempted to seek the wealth it 'had'.
                            Why do you say that?

Comment

Added some more resources. Predators, from Forsaken, talks plenty about Spirits, Hosts, and Claimed, along with some other weird shit. The Sundered World isn't directly about Beasts, but it contains some of the most terrifying spirits out there in the form of Pageans. You may want to make Kinship Nightmares with them. I know I would.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Working...
                              X