Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cyclopedian Strenght : really that strong...or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclopedian Strenght : really that strong...or not?

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the atavism cyclopedian strenght. At first glance, it does look powerful, but I noticed that it says that improvised weapon have a bonus equal to the lower of their size or durability. Considering that durability of most objects don't surpasse 3, it is kinda disappointing because it isn't really much better than a weapon that does 3L (like a good sword for instance).

Does it mean that hitting ennemies with a car has similar damage to a sword?

Originally posted by Ludvika View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a question about the atavism cyclopedian strenght. At first glance, it does look powerful, but I noticed that it says that improvised weapon have a bonus equal to the lower of their size or durability. Considering that durability of most objects don't surpasse 3, it is kinda disappointing because it isn't really much better than a weapon that does 3L (like a good sword for instance).

Does it mean that hitting ennemies with a car has similar damage to a sword?
    Low damage values can also represent an attack that is easier to avoid, such as a large object, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludvika View Post
      Does it mean that hitting enemies with a car has similar damage to a sword?
      Yes. Most objects will be 2-3L weapons.

Comment

If you want throwing cars to be more damaging a simple fix is to use the rules for car crashes from the core book, where cars deal 1/2 size damage.

Comment

It's still ready access to weapons equal to "a good sword", increased throwing range, ability to use items as a shield (not in the rules, but why not?) etc. Also, you don't necessarily use whole cars. Maybe you just swing a car door at them? Furthermore, I don't know whether a car really falls under improvised weapons, but if you look at the normal improvised weapons, this is indeed an improvement (some do -1, actually substracting a success! Exchanged for durability, that is always a bonus!) + what HemlsDerp said.
          Without Spending satiety, it is more for physical deeds, less for fights imo. "Spend satiety, get Lair in automatic success" is crazy, though.

1/2 size would go quickly out of control imo. Especially if you also have Looming Height: At Lair 3, he'd be able to fling around things of size 32, without spending satiety on Looming Height, which would result in being able to fling around things of size 44.

Another scary combination ? Cyclopean strength and Limb from Limb. Spend 1 Satiety at Lair 1, deal at least 2 Lethal damage (1 automatic success on a strength roll, 1L modifier from Limb from Limb). At lair 5, this would be at least 10 lethal damage (limbfromlimb scales with lair, too)!
          Last edited by Wormwood; 02-02-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

If you throw something size 44 at someone, it should do a ridiculous amount of damage. The improvised weapons rules really don't take into account the effect of excessive mass.

Comment

Consider the difficulty of finding something size 44 to throw though, dump trucks are what, size 20? Still, hitting somebody with a dump truck for +10 lethal should be plenty.

Buildings are larger, but if you try to pick up a building it's going to break and you're going to get a chunk of it to throw, not the whole house. That's how I would handle it.

Comment

That's true, it should do tons of damage, I guess I was simply stumped by the + 22 Lethal. Considering that (stable enough to throw) objects of that size are rare, though, that seems fair. My first response was due to Superman-thinking (he can whack you with a plane/house, and depending on where you are, those are easily found).

I agree with both of you HelmsDerp and Elfive.

I think you'd need a houserule for that type of stuff, because unlike other improvised weapons like pencils, books, laptops etc. objects of size 6+ should probably have their own rules. The one HelmsDerp provided looks good to me.

Comment

Working...
                X