The Flayer [Insatiable]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flayer [Insatiable]

Background: In the 1970s, the Beasts of Orkney began to be hunted as prey. One of their number was slain in his Lair, his skin flayed off while his Horror had vanished without a trace. Most of the local Children blamed his death on a Hero, and they were content to leave it at that. Unfortunately, the being that would come to be called the Flayer would strike again over the following decades. Each time he did so, the number of years between the killings was halved, and the Orcadian Begotten now struggle to catch their assailant before he wipes them all out.

Despite calling on their siblings from Scotland and the rest of Europe, and even enlisting the aid of a cabal of mages, the local Beasts are still not close to determining his identity. They know that the Flayer's hunts have taken place over a hundred years, but they do not know what exactly he is. Most suspect him to be a Hero (or even a collection of Heroes), though a few whisper that he is a Child of the Dark Mother who has turned his Hunger upon his siblings.

None have yet to realize that he is something much worse.

The creature known as the Flayer is an Insatiable of the Primordial Seas. He has been around since the late 19th Century, and developed an extensive repertoire of abilities which make him so menacing to Orkney's Beasts in the present. In addition to the Lair he has built up, this has cemented his newfound position as Apex, leading to the Darkness that has begun to spread throughout the Hive.

Description: The Flayer's human identity is a mystery, and those that encounter him in his Horrible Form have thus far not lived to tell the tale. When he stikes at his victims, it is as a dark and vast tidal wave. Its waters strike with enough force to crush the Beasts' souls and flay their skins, and they consume whatever is left as they recede into the depths. The sea foam often looks like a cloud of knives, but it can just as easily appear as a jumble of hungry mouths.

Storytelling Hints: While most Insatiables who wish to claim a Lair must steal those of the Begotten, the Flayer has built up and maintained his own through centuries of pursuing his Hunger. Orkney is but a part of his vast hunting ground, and the years where he did not kill any of its Begotten were spent preying on mortals, Beasts, and other supernaturals elsewhere. Why he keeps returning to the archipelago (and less discrete with his killings there) may hint at his agendas there, but the frequency in his appearances may be attributed to globalization. As people around the world become increasingly connected through technology, the Flayer is forced to shorten the range of his predations to avoid drawing attention. This leaves him visiting certain locales more often, and the Insatiable may need to establish his claim over permanent territory. Should he choose to settle down in Orkney, it may very well spell the end for the Beasts there.

How the Flayer has managed to gain a permanent Lair and allow it to persist for so long is another compelling reason to seek him out. Those Beasts who discover he is an Insatiable may come to wonder how he has managed to achieve it. Is it the result of a unique power that he developed on his own? Or did he accomplish it with the help of someone or something? The answers to these questions may not be easy to accept, but they may prove crucial to ending the threat he poses.

Legend: Unexpected
    Life: Cautious
    Moment: Primordial Seas
    Hunger: Prey

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 5, Resolve 5
    Physical Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 4, Stamina 5
    Social Attributes: Presence 5, Manipulation 3, Composure 5

Mental Skills: Crafts 3 [Skinning], Investigation 5 [Beasts], Medicine 3, Occult 4
    Physical Skills: Athletics 4, Brawl 3 [Grappling], Stealth 5, Survival 4, Weaponry 3 [Knives]
    Social Skills: Empathy 3, Intimidation 4 [Hunger], Streetwise 3, Subterfuge 4 [Lure]

Merits: Danger Sense, Danger Sense [Advanced], Epic Potential [Strength], Fist of Nightmares, Killer Instinct 3, Killer Instinct [Advanced] 3, Trained Observer 3

Esurients: Body of Mouths, Intruder, Subversion of Satiety, Terrible Form, Veiled Presence, Your Power is Mine
    Nightmares: All Your Teeth Are Falling Out, You Are Not Alone, You Cannot Run
    Atavisms: Endless Depths, Eye of Heaven, From the Shadows, Heart of the Ocean, Needs Must

Lair: 5
    Health: 10
    Willpower: 10
    Satiety: 6

Size: 5
    Speed: 15
    Initiative: 9
    Defense: 8

Lair Traits: Crushing, Currents, Darkness, Downpour,

Notes:
    * The Flayer's Lair rating can never fall below one dot, and he therefore has a single Chamber at his weakest. This Chamber possesses the Darkness Trait, and is analogous to a Beast's Heart.

* The Insatiable expands his Lair through Satiety expenditure, and it takes longer for his Lair to dissipate. After a number of days equal to his Satiety, the Lair degrades by one dot.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-14-2017, 03:20 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Inspired by the Flayed Souls setting found in Beast: The Primordial.

This is essentially my take on what exactly the Flayer of Orkney is. Think about it. A mysterious creature that kills Beasts without leaving a trace? And what really happened to the Horrors of its victims?

Critique and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I'll be adding the Description and Storytelling Hints (as well as more of the Background) as the ideas come flowing in.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-10-2017, 11:35 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I love this! It's just the kind of thing I was hoping people would come up with when I wrote that setting up.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
      I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
        I love this! It's just the kind of thing I was hoping people would come up with when I wrote that setting up.
        Wait. Flayed Souls was yours?

Either way, thanks for the positive feedback. It's still a work in progress, but I'm trying to see how I can make the Flayer into a very dangerous Insatiable. The fact that he's well over a century old means he's had a lot of time to develop and evolve into something really horrific.

At the moment, I am trying to figure out how to handle the Flayer's longevity. Unless Insatiables have longer lifespans (based on the Blind Man), I can see it being possible via the Immortal Dread Power or an Esurient that converts Satiety to extra years.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Wait. Flayed Souls was yours?
          Yep! There are actually a few Easter eggs in my sections of chapter 6 people haven't picked up on.

Either way, thanks for the positive feedback. It's still a work in progress, but I'm trying to see how I can make the Flayer into a very dangerous Insatiable. The fact that he's well over a century old means he's had a lot of time to develop and evolve into something really horrific.

At the moment, I am trying to figure out how to handle the Flayer's longevity. Unless Insatiables have longer lifespans (based on the Blind Man), I can see it being possible via the Immortal Dread Power or an Esurient that converts Satiety to extra years.
          Also note that the Flayer seems to strike more often as time goes by. Whatever it's doing to keep itself alive, it burns out faster the more it does it.
          Last edited by Yossarian; 02-10-2017, 04:36 PM.

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Yep! There are actually a few Easter eggs in my sections of chapter 6 people haven't picked up on.
            Any hints? I've been trying to crack the riddle of the Flayed Souls for quite a while.

CofD booklists:
            Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Are some of these Easter Eggs not Beast-related?

Also note that the Flayer seems to strike more often as time goes by. Whatever it's doing to keep itself alive, it burns out faster the more it does it.
              Maybe it's an occult ritual not unlike that used to create the Blood Bathers? But it's imperfect/flawed somehow? Hence, the diminishing returns?

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

Any hints? I've been trying to crack the riddle of the Flayed Souls for quite a while.
                There are two possible solutions to the Flayer's identity (as I envision it; this is just my head-canon). One is more obvious than the other one. Pay close attention to a particular word choice in the "Brothers & Sisters" subsection, and also remember that names are significant.

Are some of these Easter Eggs not Beast-related?
                Without giving anything away, yes. I did Vancouver and Orkney (and Kathmandu, but there aren't really any Easter Eggs in that one). You'd have to do a little research to get the Vancouver ones.

Comment

Pay close attention to a particular word choice in the "Brothers & Sisters" subsection
                  …Oh, god dammit.

There’s a hunter among us, and we Begotten are his game. Have been for centuries. What is he? Hero? Beast? Doesn’t matter. He’s the world’s most successful serial killer, and he wants to rip the soul from your flesh.
                  A cabal of Moros mages have also come in support of the Beasts, at least nominally. The Awakened keep to themselves, studying ruins and performing obscure rituals. Despite their aloofness, they claim to be just as invested in stopping the Flayer as the Begotten are. For months they’ve scried the island’s aura, searching for some subtle tremble.
                  The Apex in this area is the mysterious Flayer, but it has only recently become so. The Hive Trait, also just emerging, is Darkness — the lights in Lairs are beginning to gutter, as though something is devouring them.
                  I will claim errant parts of the Great Art from lesser Legacies and will subjugate them as Houses of our greater Mystery. I will erase renegade Arts from the world.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                  Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

There are two possible solutions to the Flayer's identity (as I envision it; this is just my head-canon). One is more obvious than the other one. Pay close attention to a particular word choice in the "Brothers & Sisters" subsection, and also remember that names are significant.
                    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    …Oh, god dammit.

I will claim errant parts of the Great Art from lesser Legacies and will subjugate them as Houses of our greater Mystery. I will erase renegade Arts from the world.
                    You took the words right out of my mouth, Satchel.

Damn. Tremere, eh? And a whole cabal of them, if you paint the visiting Moroi in a more sinister light. Still, it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive with my Insatiable if you want to complicate Life for the Orcadian Children.

And the last line about the Apex must be from a more recent version. It's not there on my copy.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

You took the words right out of my mouth, Satchel.

Damn. Tremere, eh? And a whole cabal of them, if you paint the visiting Moroi in a more sinister light. Still, it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive with my Insatiable if you want to complicate Life for the Orcadian Children.

And the last line about the Apex must be from a more recent version. It's not there on my copy.
                      You probably have the version that has the wrong draft of Chapter 6.

And Satchel is dead on.

Edit: That said, it's just one possibility. A really weird Insatiable fits well. Especially if it leaned something from a Tremere along the way...
                      Last edited by Yossarian; 02-11-2017, 04:39 AM.

Comment

You probably have the version that has the wrong draft of Chapter 6.

And Satchel is dead on.

Edit: That said, it's just one possibility. A really weird Insatiable fits well. Especially if it leaned something from a Tremere along the way...
                        Speaking of learning, can Insatiables form Kinship bonds like Beasts? I've been working on a Homebrew Esurient called "Subversion of Kinship", and the thought crossed my mind earlier.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Speaking of learning, can Insatiables form Kinship bonds like Beasts? I've been working on a Homebrew Esurient called "Subversion of Kinship", and the thought crossed my mind earlier.
                          I don't rightly know, actually...

Comment

Yossarian

Say, if you were to depict the Flayer as an Insatiable, how would you imagine his appearance based on him being one of the Primordial Seas?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Yossarian

Say, if you were to depict the Flayer as an Insatiable, how would you imagine his appearance based on him being one of the Primordial Seas?
                              Maybe like...a wave. It's so vast and heavy it can crush the soul from your body, and eat whatever's left over down into the depths. The sea foam almost looks like knives, and it sometimes almost looks like a human fist as it comes down on you.

That's off the top of my head. I should go have a look at Conquering Heroes again.

Comment

Working...
                              X