Reconstruction Dark Era Crossover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    Also, thank you for calling the KKK terrorists.
    Absolutely.

And I'm glad to know that my random insight into the post-War South hitting a lot of themes of the post-apocalypse made sense!

Comment

Originally posted by hm8453a View Post

When Matt asked me what I thought the Beast Dark Era should be, I suggested WWI. I'd love to see it too.

And thanks!!
      May first choice for WWI would still be Werewolf, given the entirely new choirs of horrific spirits of fully industrialized warfare wrecking havoc.

My second choice (and first choice for crossover) would have to be Geist, and pull the Horsemen as literal entities out and afield.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
        Second Chances, shhhh....the Invisible Masters might hear that you too were uneffected by the Rite....

*caughtchangesubject*

Excellent work on the Reconstruction chapter. I especially love the NPCs (both Begotten, Heroes, and other lovelies) and the Reconstruction Era Nightmares. It might be a long shot, but I'd love to see another Beast Dark Era setting for World War I.

Thank you! I had a lot of fun writing those. For me, the primary challenge was figuring out a way to depict racism honestly without writing off every racist as a cartoon villain. White Confederates sincerely thought their society was at risk. That doesn't excuse them from condemnation for what they chose to do based on that belief, but I feel understanding that part of their psyche helped me write about them in a more meaningful way.

Comment

Reread the chapter carefully after the excitement of the first day.

I must say, I had high expectation for it both because it's Beast and because I was always passionate about the Civil War and the following years. I was not disappointed, hell, this was better than what I hoped it would be.

You managed to treat delicate themes and values dissonances in a way that is both fair and yet entertaining. The supernaturals are truly well done and I could keep going on with the compliments but I would only repeat what others have said better than me.

Again, to all of you, kudos!

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
          Nightmares & Dreamscapes - Got any ideas about the denizens of the Primordial Dream? Come here and let's share our nightmares together

We finally got pictures of Pluto. No Mi-Go in sight. Those bastards are clever.

Comment

Also, to those who run a story or chronicle using this Dark Era, I would absolutely love to hear how it went!

Comment

Finally finished reading through the chapter. Solid writing all around, I quite enjoyed it I was a bit surprised at the casting of historical figures as supernatural, or related to the supernatural, but after the initial shock I was OK with it. Also while it was an interesting point, I wish the Mages entry was a bit less devoted to midwifery. But those are minor quibbles

Favorite parts include the Apexes (though I would have liked to know their Apex Lair Trait!) and also the two examples of how one or two specific fears can frame a campaign. That was enlightening to me, and I think I will use the same idea for any future Beast campaigns. Kudos to whoever thought of this Overall I found the chapter very interesting, and as a non-US citizen it taught me a lot about that part of American history.

Comment

Originally posted by Daigotsu Max View Post
                Finally finished reading through the chapter. Solid writing all around, I quite enjoyed it I was a bit surprised at the casting of historical figures as supernatural, or related to the supernatural, but after the initial shock I was OK with it. Also while it was an interesting point, I wish the Mages entry was a bit less devoted to midwifery. But those are minor quibbles.
                The original Hunter core had already linked Lincoln's death to the origins of Task Force: Valkyrie, albeit in a different way (then again, it might be viewed as simply a different perspective).

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Also, the midwifery was necessary here. It just was. Midwifery was one of the only ways in the 17th and 18th centuries that women could challenge the home life, because childrearing and childbearing was scene as "for the home", but it's also a way for women to work and earn a living. Some midwives, like Martha Ballard in the 18th century, earned as much money as their husbands did. They also would take over for doctors when the doctors were sick. Ballard was basically an NP. But in the 19th century, men professionalized medicine specifically to push women out of the workforce. And while we had Martha Ballard's entire diary for over a hundred years, no historian looked at it until 1990, because before the social and cultural history shifts in the field, historians didn't see women's work as important. Historians specifically kept the career aspect of midwifery out of the record.

I am a historian first, and midwifery is important. Doctors pushing women out of the workforce is important. It needed to be here, just like how the Alaska Story Hook needed to be here. I am coloring the record in, and providing all of you with information you likely didn't know about the era, US citizen or not, and midwifery and just how the AMA started is an important part of that. I spent an equal amount of space on the AMA and the ABA. I'm unsure why midwifery would draw specific ire, but it is very important, and the origins of the AMA were ignored or disregarded for a long time, so I urge you to reconsider your thoughts on that section, Daigotsu Max.

Hayley Margules, historian and Onyx Path writer
                  Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

The original Hunter core had already linked Lincoln's death to the origins of Task Force: Valkyrie, albeit in a different way (then again, it might be viewed as simply a different perspective).
                    There are other historical figures here too. I would say Nat Turner is the biggest, and more important than Lincoln. There are others too, like Robert Newsom, Celia's enslaver, though I didn't write Newsom to be a Beast. And I implied that some of the early ABA presidents were mages, including John Dillon.

Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Also, the midwifery was necessary here. It just was. Midwifery was one of the only ways in the 17th and 18th centuries that women could challenge the home life, because childrearing and childbearing was scene as "for the home", but it's also a way for women to work and earn a living. Some midwives, like Martha Ballard in the 18th century, earned as much money as their husbands did. They also would take over for doctors when the doctors were sick. Ballard was basically an NP. But in the 19th century, men professionalized medicine specifically to push women out of the workforce. And while we had Martha Ballard's entire diary for over a hundred years, no historian looked at it until 1990, because before the social and cultural history shifts in the field, historians didn't see women's work as important. Historians specifically kept the career aspect of midwifery out of the record.

I am a historian first, and midwifery is important. Doctors pushing women out of the workforce is important. It needed to be here, just like how the Alaska Story Hook needed to be here. I am coloring the record in, and providing all of you with information you likely didn't know about the era, US citizen or not, and midwifery and just how the AMA started is an important part of that. I spent an equal amount of space on the AMA and the ABA. I'm unsure why midwifery would draw specific ire, but it is very important, and the origins of the AMA were ignored or disregarded for a long time, so I urge you to reconsider your thoughts on that section, Daigotsu Max.

Wow, ire is a strong word - I don't deny midwifery was an important and interesting topic. I just felt in the entry regarding Mages it took a lot of what little room there was, and so there was little left to discuss other kinds of Mages in the era. As said in my initial post, that is a very minor critique, and overall I thought the chapter was pretty strong.

@Marin: thanks for the tip on the Hunter lore.

Comment

Originally posted by Daigotsu Max View Post

Wow, ire is a strong word - I don't deny midwifery was an important and interesting topic. I just felt in the entry regarding Mages it took a lot of what little room there was, and so there was little left to discuss other kinds of Mages in the era. As said in my initial post, that is a very minor critique, and overall I thought the chapter was pretty strong.

@Marin: thanks for the tip on the Hunter lore.
                        I shouldn't have said "ire", I apologize for that. But I do think it's important to acknowledge that I spent the same amount of time on the ABA. Why is it the AMA pushing women out of medicine that took up too much space, and not the establishment of the ABA and the mage Cold War in the legal field? Mages appear elsewhere in the chapter. They're one of the only races to have a pretty exclusive Story Hook.

Comment

There are other historical figures here too. I would say Nat Turner is the biggest, and more important than Lincoln. There are others too, like Robert Newsom, Celia's enslaver, though I didn't write Newsom to be a Beast. And I implied that some of the early ABA presidents were mages, including John Dillon.
                          Oh yeah, wasn't meaning to overlook the other historical figures involved with the supernatural. Just wanted to bring up there being CofD antecedents for some of it but ended up leaving that out of the actual reply.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

Oh yeah, wasn't meaning to overlook the other historical figures involved with the supernatural. Just wanted to bring up there being CofD antecedents for some of it but ended up leaving that out of the actual reply.
                            No worries! I more wanted to point out others that might be harder to identify =).

Comment

I shouldn't have said "ire", I apologize for that. But I do think it's important to acknowledge that I spent the same amount of time on the ABA. Why is it the AMA pushing women out of medicine that took up too much space, and not the establishment of the ABA and the mage Cold War in the legal field? Mages appear elsewhere in the chapter. They're one of the only races to have a pretty exclusive Story Hook.

Maybe you're right. Sorry, that was just my impression after a first read of the chapter.

Comment

Working...
                              X