Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Makara issue (and in someway Eshmaki)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Makara issue (and in someway Eshmaki)

Hello! I am new to the forums and to the CoD (played WoD a long time ago)

Ok, my problem is that i cant take a grip with the Makara family.
    Anakins represent the fear of hopelessness, Namtaru represent the fear of revulsion, Ugallu represent the fear of exposure. They represent the result of the fear, someone that have stage panic can fit in the fear of exposure. In other words, they represent the felling that you have after facing a fear.
    Eshmaki represent the fear of darkness, but what exactly is the fear of darkness? Well, to me is the fear of the unknown. Ok, supposing that this is true let's go to Makara.
    Makara is the fear of the depths... Ok, so what exactly is the fear of the depths? Is the fear of unknown? Well, i said that Eshmaki handle this. It's the fear of "transgressing a point and knowing that you can't return? Well, this is hopelessness and to this we have the Anakin. So what i should expect from a Makara?
    The point here is that with Anakins,Namtarus and Ugallus we have a pattern, they represent the repulsing felling of a fear, don't matter what this fear really is. What is repulsive to one people could be normal to another. But Makaras and Eshmakis represent a something more concrete and not the resulting felling, and can pull something from Eshmakis but with the Makaras i an having a hard time.
    The concept of monsters from the ocean don't fit with the others families. You can have a a crepping Ugallu, a tiny Anakin and to me Jason it's a Eshmaki even if everyone sees him.
    Well, my english is not good so i hope you understand my question. I want to understand the Makaras and the Eshmakis in the same way i understand the others.

TY

David Paiva

My personal interpretation is that the Eshmaki are the fears of the things which hide in the darkness and the unknown, while the Makara are the fears of the enormity and unknowability of the world. Makara are the ocean which can never be explored, the library too big to find that secret you need and the cold, airless vacuum of space, with the monsters as extensions of their environments. The Eshmaki are the thing which you know are there and which you can hear breathing behind you, beneath the bed, beyond the firelight.

As I say, though, that's just my interpretation.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

So Eshmaki is the fear of something lurking you? And then Makara would be the real fear of the unknown?

Comment

While I've always felt a particular connection with other redheads (read: Ariel) and so immediately made a literal mermaid for the Ready-Made PCs Makara, they don't have to be literal mermaids. It's also addiction. Idk why, but I'm also suddenly thinking of the quotes from "The Prestige" about obsession.

Those are my totally unorganized thoughts.

Hayley Margules, historian and Onyx Path writer
        Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Makara are the fear of Lovecraft's work, of an uncaring universe too big to face, of unknowable, monstrous mystery, while Eshmaki are that most primitive of fears: The fear of the shapeless, formless monster out there in the dark.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Hum... A pure light flying Makara would be something really weird, lol.
            Maybe it wouldn't
            have a fixed form so you don't know what the hell is this

Comment

Hum... I just fell that this thing of too big to face it's a Anakin thing.

Comment

Eshmaki would be the monster under the bed, right?

Comment

Originally posted by hm8453a View Post
                  While I've always felt a particular connection with other redheads (read: Ariel) and so immediately made a literal mermaid for the Ready-Made PCs Makara, they don't have to be literal mermaids. It's also addiction. Idk why, but I'm also suddenly thinking of the quotes from "The Prestige" about obsession.

Those are my totally unorganized thoughts.
                  I loved the mermaid and the other characters btw

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                    I loved the mermaid and the other characters btw
                    Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Hayley Margules, historian and Onyx Path writer
                    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

A thing to understand in my mind is that it isn't like the archetypes of each family don't contain any overlap. I mean let's face Anakim are hopelessness and it's not hard to imagine any of the other families inflicting hopelessness on the target.

The way I play it, the Eshmaki are your primal fear of the unknown. You know something is out there, but not specifically what it is, or where it is or what it wants.

The Makara have traces of this, but it isn't the same. The Makara I view as a fear of potential. The ocean isn't going to kill you, but it could. So you know the threat, unlike an Eshmaki where all you know is that there is a threat, or an Anakim where knowing about the threat is useless as soon as it has become a threat. The Makara are fears that can be, will the ship sink, will the ladder break, did that camera get enough view of me to identify me in that murder I committed.

If the Eshmaki can be represented by a fear of the future, then I'd say the Makara are a fear of the past.

Comment

The Eshmaki are the fear that there's something behind.

Whether that's behind the door, behind the mask, behind you, or some more particular screening method, the Lurkers are the fear of the hidden.

Though they conceptuallu neighbor the drowning despair of the Anakim and the endless vistas of the Ugallu, a Makara dwells within the fear that you are surrounded, whether literally or figuratively, by a species/medium to which your capacity to resist is insufficient.

The Giant's strike can be evaded for a time and the Raptor can be staved off by temporary cover, but the Nightmares of the Depths do not engage in something so base as a pursuit — the moment of terror they embody resonates within the very belly of the Leviathan itself.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

More shortly; if you can describe something as drowning, whether literally or metaphorically, it's probably Makara.

Comment

I mostly see the Fear of the Dephts as encompassing the fears of being deceived by appearances, of being lost, of being in a hostile environment, of caving under pressure. At the same time the fears of what is lying beneath the surface and of finding oneself there.

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
                            Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

Makara also embody a fear of hidden knowledge and lost lore: "The terrible truth" is a Makara fear (the Ugallu too, but it's more "Your terrible truth").

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
                              Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Working...
                              X