Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Makara issue (and in someway Eshmaki)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Anakim are the fear of a foe you cannot defeat; someone/something that can crush you without a second thought.
    Makara are the fear of being out of your element, literally or figuratively; being in a place or set of circumstances that you are simply not built to survive in.
    Eshmaki are the fear of an unexpected danger; it's out there, and you might even KNOW it's out there, but you don't know for sure where or when the threat is going to strike.
    Ugallu are the fear of having no where to hide; you are exposed, literally or figuratively, and there is nothing you can do about it.
    ​Namtaru are the fear of being alone and unwanted; it will make you ugly, like it is ugly.

    ​Or at least those are my understandings; I don't actually have the book. I still can't figure out why Eshmaki can breath fire, when blending into the shadows makes WAY more sense for LURKERS.
    Last edited by Mangle77; 03-05-2017, 07:36 AM.


    "A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by draxdeveloper View Post
      Hello! I am new to the forums and to the CoD (played WoD a long time ago)

      Ok, my problem is that i cant take a grip with the Makara family.
      Anakins represent the fear of hopelessness, Namtaru represent the fear of revulsion, Ugallu represent the fear of exposure. They represent the result of the fear, someone that have stage panic can fit in the fear of exposure. In other words, they represent the felling that you have after facing a fear.
      Eshmaki represent the fear of darkness, but what exactly is the fear of darkness? Well, to me is the fear of the unknown. Ok, supposing that this is true let's go to Makara.
      Makara is the fear of the depths... Ok, so what exactly is the fear of the depths? Is the fear of unknown? Well, i said that Eshmaki handle this. It's the fear of "transgressing a point and knowing that you can't return? Well, this is hopelessness and to this we have the Anakin. So what i should expect from a Makara?
      The point here is that with Anakins,Namtarus and Ugallus we have a pattern, they represent the repulsing felling of a fear, don't matter what this fear really is. What is repulsive to one people could be normal to another. But Makaras and Eshmakis represent a something more concrete and not the resulting felling, and can pull something from Eshmakis but with the Makaras i an having a hard time.
      The concept of monsters from the ocean don't fit with the others families. You can have a a crepping Ugallu, a tiny Anakin and to me Jason it's a Eshmaki even if everyone sees him.
      Well, my english is not good so i hope you understand my question. I want to understand the Makaras and the Eshmakis in the same way i understand the others.

      TY

      David Paiva


      The Makara's depths can be literal, or metaphorical. Yeah, lots of people fear drowning; but how often are you really at risk of being submerged until death? The depths they represent could be portrayed through the use of politics, corruption, financial debt, mysteries, conspiracies, madness, emotions, faith, or lies. Anything that would threaten those who immerse themselves too deeply within it are viable tools for a terror of the deep.
      Last edited by Nyrufa; 03-05-2017, 10:21 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by draxdeveloper View Post
        Hum... I just fell that this thing of too big to face it's a Anakin thing.

        Just as I described with the Makara, any of these families can either be taken literally, or portrayed from a metaphorical standpoint. Often, if you use the metaphorical version, it opens up a huge variety of different types of monsters from each respective family.


        Anakim are the fear of powerlessness. They're not so much the creature who starts smashing everything in sight, but rather they are the kind who stand in front of an entire squad of hunters and says "You know what? I'll be a good sport and give you the first blow!" as they stand there with arms lowered to their sides. Anakim are the unstoppable, the uncontrollable. They are chaos, they are a force of nature, they are the riddle you can't crack, the chains you can't remove, they stand above the law. They give their victims a 10 minute head start, because they know it won't make a difference. The Anakim always get what they want, you can not stop them. That's the horror they represent.


        Remember: the prophecy of Ragnarok says that Giants are destined to claim victory. Our so called gods (i.e 'Heroes') die brutally at their hands. And when their work is finished, the only thing we can do is try to rebuild what was lost.


        Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
        ​Or at least those are my understandings; I don't actually have the book. I still can't figure out why Eshmaki can breath fire, when blending into the shadows makes WAY more sense for LURKERS.
        Eshmaki are the fear of destruction, and one possible monster for them is that of the dragon. The creature who swoops down and starts burning everything around them until the whole city lies in flames.
        Last edited by Nyrufa; 03-05-2017, 07:12 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
          Anakim are the fear of a foe you cannot defeat; someone/something that can crush you without a second thought.
          Makara are the fear of being out of your element, literally or figuratively; being in a place or set of circumstances that you are simply not built to survive in.
          Eshmaki are the fear of an unexpected danger; it's out there, and you might even KNOW it's out there, but you don't know for sure where or when the threat is going to strike.
          Ugallu are the fear of having no where to hide; you are exposed, literally or figuratively, and there is nothing you can do about it.
          ​Namtaru are the fear of being alone and unwanted; it will make you ugly, like it is ugly.

          ​Or at least those are my understandings; I don't actually have the book. I still can't figure out why Eshmaki can breath fire, when blending into the shadows makes WAY more sense for LURKERS.
          Because in the old days when fire wasn't taken for granted, being hit by a huge glob of it was one hell of a surprise. It is still now, since most people don't really expect fire to attack them. It's why so many people throw lit cigars in the forest, and leave their stoves open and burning. That, and the blinding light generated by fire can blind people just as much as darkness can. Hiding in plain sight and daylight is counter-intuitive, but if anyone tries that with success it's going to be the Lurkers.

          Gorgons can emerge from the shadows because that's where the unloved, unwanted, and unbidden are shunted off and forgotten. They crawl out of the same place that people dare not to look at, lest they be consumed by it. This isn't a surprise attack. People feel terror while expecting the darkness to contain something nasty. So the Gorgons oblige, and realize that terror into a horror.


          MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
            Eshmaki are the fear of an unexpected danger; it's out there, and you might even KNOW it's out there, but you don't know for sure where or when the threat is going to strike.
            Could you make an argument for an Eshmaki horror being a living-natural-disaster-type, then? After all, for all that you hear about hurricanes and tsunamis and so on, no-one really expects it to happen to them. That might just be a thing over here in the 'enlightened and indolent West', but still...


            Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

            Comment


            • #21
              Ironically, most sea monsters would be Eshmaki:

              It's down there in the water. Somewhere.
              You can't see the bottom.
              Was that a tickle against your toes?
              Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Incendax View Post
                Ironically, most sea monsters would be Eshmaki:

                It's down there in the water. Somewhere.
                You can't see the bottom.
                Was that a tickle against your toes?
                Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit.
                that's why i said it's kind of a issue. Since it's not really intuitive.

                Comment

                Working...
                X