Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old World of Darkness Beast ?

Hello,

A thought had been nagging me for a while. There had been C/WoD crossover discussions and even translation books, but no such thing for Beast as of yet. Yes, I understand that some things better left alone. Still, what do you think about BtP in WoD setting?

In the case of translation books it's because Beast is an original CofD gameline. There's no oWoD gameline to trabslate to or from.

Comment

In answer to the actual question, I think Beast would do well in the oWoD. Changing the themes from gothic horror to gothic punk aren't difficult, but owing to oWoD being less innately capable with improvisational mechanics, there'd be a lot of homebrew to come up with concrete lists for the deliberately lackluster line of Beast abilities. It would probably also help if the game line's direction were similarly solidified, given the shift in mechanical focus. The metaplot in particular would be interesting to weave Beasts into,but again it could take some work.
      Primary among thematic shifts, though, I would personally have to be bringing hunger back to the fore and ditching the concept of 'lessons to teach'. Second would probably be ramping up isolationism, since that was a key feature in the classic game. Probably go to the Homecoming idea for those. Probably would want to add more options/exceptions for ways mortals can see the monster and its capabilities. Those are just personal ideas though, whatever direction you or anyone else would want to go in is fine.
      Last edited by Necrophear; 03-15-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Necrophear View Post
        snip.
        thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

their was an enemy in wta 2nd edition that loomed very beastlije her only vulnerability was her hand and she ate peoples livers.

Comment

You'd also have to buff Beasts: oWoD splats are often more powerful than their nWoD Counterparts, e.g. in comparison to humans (at least, at character creation).
            Weaving it into the metaplots shouldnt be too hard, but there would be a few things to consider, as Necrophear already brought up.

sounds interesting though. You might want to add some general feeling of doom, like the antediluvians Looming as a threat over their progeny, or Garou's apocalypse, the downfall of the underworld die to the nemesis (was it?) In wraith.
            Just so it's not too Jarring in its difference. Maybe increasing numbers of heroes? Less and less Homecomings? A Power creep effect? Go wild.

Comment

It could be worthwhile to explore a Lilith/Dark Mother connection...

Comment

In WoD games there is a bunch of strange ocurrences and things that aren't completly described. You could say the majority of this things are Beasts working for Lilitth getting instructions through dreams and visions. I would reforce the kinship aspect of the game, making them pass as some other supernatura.

Comment

I've actually used Changeling: the Dreaming to build some loose Beast analogs for use in CWoD.

Comment

Speaking of "Changeling: the Dreaming", I've heard it said that Beasts fit the description of Fomorians - antagonists who never got a detailed write-up. Is this accurate?

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

The Fomorians are a group of beings also referred to as the "Elder Darks". In ancient times they were the most potent champions of horrific dreams, perhaps even evil gods of a sort. Creatures of winter and destruction, they can be seen as the progenitors of the Unseelie. Some say that they might now awaken.
                      Formorians sound, from the synopsis on the wiki, less like Beasts than the Horrors themselves. The lesser Dark-kin are laid out in Denizens of the Dreaming, set after the apocalyptic timelines, and while they're called Beasts by some sections of the text they're displayed more as monstrous Changelings/Fae than anything with more than a superficial resemblance to either Beast or Horror. A Formorian might be closer to the Dark Mother, or at least a description of the highest children of the Dark Mother; this could be similar to the Pangaean relationship to their creator, depending on cosmology.

Comment

Originally posted by Teatime View Post
                        Speaking of "Changeling: the Dreaming", I've heard it said that Beasts fit the description of Fomorians - antagonists who never got a detailed write-up. Is this accurate?
                        ​Fomorians had a book; Freak Legion; A Players Guide to the Fomori. They had more in common with W:tF's Hosts than anything else, really. Or maybe Deviants. Humans, and sometimes animals, that were twisted into monstrous forms as a result of being infected/infested/possessed/claimed/ridden/whatever by malignant spirits and/or toxic/mutagenic substances..

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post

​Fomorians had a book; Freak Legion; A Players Guide to the Fomori. They had more in common with W:tF's Hosts than anything else, really. Or maybe Deviants. Humans, and sometimes animals, that were twisted into monstrous forms as a result of being infected/infested/possessed/claimed/ridden/whatever by malignant spirits and/or toxic/mutagenic substances..
                          Apocalypse's fomori aren't the same thing as Dreaming's fomorians, though there is a bit of in-character puzzling over whether there's a connection.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

nice. thanks everyone!

Comment

you know, I'm pretty surprise nobody mentioned Bygone Beastry as Beast's analog. Sure, it wasn't a full gameline- but it did gave you the rules to play a dragon.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P

Comment

Working...
                              X