Lots of Beasts Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of Beasts Questions

I'm running an all splat game for CoD and no one (including myself) have ever played it before (though I've run 1st ed) Needless to say the mass amount of info one needs to retain is staggering. I've only glanced at the book.
    1. When you become a Beast does it consume you and become you? Are you still human?
    2. Can a vampire feed from a Beast, embrace a Beast (I'm guessing if they can, then they are no longer beasts), ghoul a beast?
    3. Do Beasts have souls?

3. Beasts do not have souls. The Horror devours the Soul.
    2. Not sure.
    1. You are not a human, you are a Begotten. Although you are human in appearance, you are soul-less and are one of the Children of the Dark Mother.

Comment

Well let's clarify.
      1) Not really. I mean you can view it as sort of how I understand Geist where you have the human part merged with the Horror, but for all intents and purposes you're one of the Beghotten which makes you a non-human. That said you're still possessed of a human mind, so not completely inhuman, even if your other half is literally the stuff of nightmares. Though if it's a concern, the original human is still present. It's not like one goes through the Devouring and it's an entirely new being wearing your skin. Some details change, but you're still there. Kind of like vampires there.

2)Yeah sure Beasts still have blood, so I don't see why not. I mean might be a bit more problematic if you're going against a Beast in their lair (or an overlay) who's merged with their Horror because then you have no clue what that thing is, but you have bigger concerns than can you drink from it if you're fighting it in those circumstances. As far as ghouling goes the only requirement I'm aware of is that one needs to biologically be human, also not dead, so as the Beghotten is a trait that is on the metaphysical side bleeding into the physical side I'd say it is possible to get a Beast turned into a ghoul.

Also yeah, if the ST rules that Beast can be embraced completely and turned into one of the Kindred then they won't be a Beast anymore. Though they'll probably take really easily to being gangrel if that's the clan that gets them.

3) Not as such. Technically speaking your Horror is what you have in place of a soul, though whether it's as simple as EldritchMinister says and your Horror ate your soul, or if your soul became your Horror, or if you never had a human soul and have always had a Horror are things open to debate. That's why in the first draft when the Devouring was called the Homecoming your Horror was actually called your Soul. This was muddied up a bit so people could have some debate on the prospect.
      Last edited by nalak42; 03-11-2017, 12:09 AM.

Comment

The Horror occupies the place where a Beast's soul would be, but in some ways this is a less dramatic change than you might expect. The Beast retains all human memories and likely most of their pre-devouring personality. How physically human they remain depends on what Atavisms they learn, but by default they're less altered than many other splats.

Not only can vampires drink Beast blood, a Beast with the Relentless Hunter Atavism is an ideal partner for vampires because they regenerate extremely quickly. Embracing and Ghouling probably wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
          Embracing and Ghouling probably wouldn't work.

For the same reasons that embracing the other splats probably don't work. Also, the fact that the Beast needs to be clinically dead for the embrace to take hold, and that's not going to be easy to achieve voluntarily.

---------------------------------

The Beast's human soul is destroyed when they become a Beast. Their horror tears it to shreds and absorbs it. So instead of a human soul, you have a literal nightmare guiding your actions.The devouring is referred to as "their last nightmare" which leads me to speculate they don't actually dream.

As for physically becoming a Beast, there are ways for them to do so (Inheritance, for one). But normally, they appear to be human with access to monstrous capabilities (Atavisms) and psychological powers (Nightmares). Using powerful versions of Atavisms can make you appear less human, depending on what kind you're using, but if you expect to take the form of a great dragon, a tentacled kraken, or a hideous gorgon in the physical world, you're going to need to claim an Inheritance, which is end game Apotheosis type stuff.
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 03-11-2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
            Using powerful versions of Atavisms can make you appear less human, depending on what kind you're using, but if you expect to take the form of a great dragon, a tentacled kraken, or a hideous gorgon in the physical world, you're going to need to claim an Inheritance, which is end game Apotheosis type stuff.
            Or be in an opened Primordial Pathway to your Lair, since your Lair and the physical world overlap then.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradim View Post

Or be in an opened Primordial Pathway to your Lair, since your Lair and the physical world overlap then.

Beast is also the only splat (as far as I know) where you can claim apotheosis straight out of the gate. You can make a brand new character and immediately after finishing them, you can decide "fuck this, I'm out!" and claim your inheritance. BUT, you should probably hold off on doing so, because two of those three inheritance options are double edged swords.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Beast is also the only splat (as far as I know) where you can claim apotheosis straight out of the gate. You can make a brand new character and immediately after finishing them, you can decide "fuck this, I'm out!" and claim your inheritance. BUT, you should probably hold off on doing so, because two of those three inheritance options are double edged swords.
                I suppose that's still "end game".... though if a player of mine wanted their character to go out that way, I'd enjoy letting them have the spotlight as their Horror went Rampant or Unfettered for the scene. ^.^

Comment

You can't ghoul anything with a major template. Just flat out does not work.

Comment

Working...
                  X