Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justifications, a more developed beast society- or my first homebrew fluff!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justifications, a more developed beast society- or my first homebrew fluff!

So!

Back when Beast was in its...controversial....phase, I came up with a vague extra axis for beast. I will put it here to be critiqued/insulted/erased from the internet as appropriate.

Disclaimer- while there's nothing graphic, a lot of these deal with the justifications people come up with for doing horrible things. If that is something that upsets you, you may wish to stop reading.

So! it began with the idea that Nemesis doesn't quite seem to fit in the rest of the hungers- see countless online discussions. So what if it wasn't a hunger, but a justification? A way for the Beast to say they're not a monster, they only hurt people who deserve it. In the core book, we have another apparent justification, the "teaching lessons" one. You're not a monster because you're not just hurting people, you're giving a harsh lesson so it's ok. Given beasts don't really have a social group on par with Packs or Covenants, I though making more Justifications to form, if not political groups, at least vague associations of similar-minded beasts could work.

An axis based on justification fits in with the theme of beast quite well, I feel, trying to live as a monster as well as different ways of fitting in the story they're inadvertently trapped in.

(yes, this means a new hunger needs to be made. I settled on The Hunger For Corruption, personally.)

Here is what I came up with. I have vague ideas for mechanical benefits/penalties, but am not sure on the exact crunch for them or whether they're a good idea. I put them at the end of each Justification anyway

The Teachers- See the core book. For this homebrew, assume it's written from their perspective. For a mechanical thing, they can minor minor alterations to the mind of those they feed on, but are bound by their own lessons (e.g. if they teach that material goods are fleeting, they can't hoard things themselves)

The Nemeses- Those who justify through punishment. They see the Dark Mother as the grim avenger, the monster who shows the consequences of sin. They are the harpies who befoul the profits of the greedy, the demons who drag sinners to hell, the Big Bad Wolf who eats those who stray from the path. At their best, they are righteous avengers destroying the worst of humanity. At their worst, they're capricious monsters tearing people apart for arbitrary and nonsensical crimes. They can sense whether people have committed a specific wrongdoing, but have a certain group of innocents (victims of that wrongdoing, children, a specific religion...) they cannot feed from.

The Servants- Those who justify through obedience. The servants fall beneath a human authority- maybe a group, maybe an ideal, or maybe something like the genie trapped in a lamp or the demon bound by a ritual. They serve this authority without question, and if they need to feed on those who get in their masters way- well, that's a win-win situation, right? They see the Dark Mother as the primordial darkness. She was bound into coherent form by human stories, and her children are still repaying that debt today.
    At their best, they are loyal friends and allies, at their worst brutal thugs who will kill or worse on their master's slightest whim. They have a bonus to actions directly ordered by their master, but must spend a willpower to disobey anyone with the symbol of that mastery (A uniform of the organisation, the beast's lamp, a lock of hair in the summoning circle, etc)

The Warlocks- Those who justify through humanity. As far as the Warlocks are concerned, they're still human. Humans with terrifying powers and a need to feed on suffering, granted, but still ultimately humans. They may be bad people, but they aren't nightmares incarnate, and that's what matters. The Warlocks try to continue their pre-devouring lives, having jobs, families and goals, and feeding to support those goals.
    They see the Dark Mother as something like Lilith- a powerful and maybe immortal woman, but still ultimately just a woman. Hopefully, her children can still say the same. At their best, they are parents, friends and lovers who still see humans as something to identify with and care about. At their worst, they're greedy and selfish, using their powers for their own gain and crushing all who oppose them. They have a price break on "human" merits (status, resources, contacts, fame) but have penalties in their lair (as it's hard to argue you're just a weird human when you're a ice giant ruling a forest of blood)

The Gargoyles- Those who justify through protection. The Gargoyles choose an area- a neighbourhood, a forest, a tenement block- and set themselves up as its guardian. They work to tend it and those within it, promoting its growth and ensuring its safe from those who would damage and corrupt it. When people try to exploit, destroy or corrupt the Gargoyle's territory, the hunt begins.
    They see the Dark Mother as something primal, a last echo of humanity's evolutionary past. Her children remind humanity of what's truly important- the territory and the tribe. At their best, they are beloved guardian angels, defending those under their care. At their worst, they're tyrants, crushing the inhabitants of the area for "its own good" and destroying anyone who tries to unseat them. They can travel near-instantly through their territory, but if the area is damaged or hurt the Gargoyle can be too.

And my villain justifications! (because beast needs more antagonists, and because I came up with various ones that seemed unplayable so they're here now)

The Chained- those who justify through stories. The Chained have almost completely lost their human lives. They are totally subsumed by the Horror and the monomyth, with only a few scraps of memories keeping them from undergoing the merger. They act exactly like the monster they were devoured by, and follow its story to the letter. They track down and kill those who don't reblog chain posts, or stalk the woods looking for teen couples, or climb through mirrors when their name is said three times in the dark.
    Their justification, such as it is, is that they are simply fulfilling their role in the story- they didn't write the tale, they're just playing their part as well as they can. They see the Dark Mother as the primal antagonist, the incarnation of everything humans work against, the enemy in every tale. They aren't her children, they're her minions. They can tell when someone fulfils the requirement of their story nearby, but also suffer a permanent anathema laid on them by the human subconscious.

The Ravenous- Those who don't bother to justify. The Ravenous don't see why they should justify their feeding to anyone. Do humans justify themselves to cattle? They are monsters, and they act like it. They feast, endlessly and indiscriminately, spreading destruction and misery before moving on to new hunting grounds.
    They see the Dark Mother as simply the biggest predator in the woods, a savage thing that is nothing but teeth and hunger and gave her children only one command- try and out-do her. The Ravenous are ruled by their hunger, even more so then other beasts. While they never get the slumbering condition, they lose satiety twice as fast, and if ravenous they take aggravated, not lethal, damage.

The Prophets- those who justify through authority. The Prophets believe beasts are the ultimate creature- shepherds of humanity, first among monsters, walkers of every world. And they want everyone to know it. They build cults to their glory and feed on those who join, as is their divine right. They send out missionaries to spread their glory and inquisitors to purge those who will not worship them.
    They see the Dark Mother as The Goddess herself, the queen of reality, and the Beasts as her dark and terrible angels. They don't need to roll to use nightmares on their cultists, and can see/speak through them, but their power is tied to them- each dot of lair requires 10 cultists, and collapses if the cult drops below that (down to one- a Prophet doesn't die or lose their template if they lose all cultists)

The Hydes- those who justify through denial. The Hydes have split from their Horror entirely. While the Warlocks know they are supernatural, the Hydes see themselves as just humans possessed by a terrible thing, a monster that makes them hurt people and tempts them with terrible powers. They work living normal lives, avoiding things that might spark the hunger, but it never works. The Tyrant puts someone down, the Ravener starts a fire, any beast bumps into kin, and the Horror takes over completely, feeding wildly until the Hyde can reclaim control. Hydes search far and wide to find a way to banish their Horror, and rarely react positively to other beasts reveling in their "tormentor's" power.
    Hydes see the Dark Mother as a Satan figure, a horrifying thing come to ruin them and steal their life. They can, at least partially, take on the form of their horror physically when it claims control. The "possession" is downside enough.

The Kinslayers- those who justify through monster hunting. The Kinslayers reason it's wrong to hurt humans- but a beast has lots of potential prey that isn't human. The Kinslayers track down the supernaturals of the area and attack them, feeding on those the other beasts call brethren, and sometimes even those other beasts themselves. Some will only go for the truly inhuman, some will go for anyone so much as touched by the supernatural, but all can devastate the relationship between beasts and their kin.
    The Kinslayers see the Dark Mother as a mother of abominations, unleashing horrifying creatures that her true children must now deal with. The Kinslayers have a bonus to resisting supernatural powers, but they invert Thicker then Water, and always start with a hostile first impression unless they manipulate events otherwise (luckily for them, other kin-based powers work normally)

So there you go! Opinions? Suggestions? Wild Ad Hominims?

hum... it's seems something nice. But I think they choose the concept everyone it's family so there are no sub groups.
    But really have the problem that even in a family we have sub groups. At least in a huge family.
    Don't have a solid opinion yet because it's 4:22 AM and i have made two homebrew atavism and read a lot today

Comment

Working...
    X