Beast Cults

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beast Cults

So, since it seems like every other Supernatural gets to have fun with their own brand of cult (baring the obvious exception of Prometheans), why not Beasts?

The basic concept I'm aiming for is a group of mortals who venerate the Legend of the Horror (or the Beast), acting as its agents in exchange for purpose, and perhaps power.

Mechanically, I'm thinking of a number of potential options:
    • Cultists can "feed" the Beast by invoking the same lesson or fear upon others (Room Service?).
    • Cultists can invoke their Beast patron's Nightmares, using their stats own stats, substituting Integrity for Satiety, and spending a point of Willpower.
    • Cultists might be able to acquire one Atavism of their Beast patron (for those nice weird "mutant-cults"). Might be best reserved for some kind of Mystery Cult Initiation level.
    • Cultists can recover willpower using the Beast's Legend as if it were their own.
    • Cultists can get the same immunity to Lair Traits the Beast gains as well (for cultists unaffected by the cold, since their mistress lives in swirling snowstorm).
    The Beast, of course, gets minions, and, due to the close sympathetic connection their Horror has to their cultists, emergency snack - guess who "volunteered" to feed the master whenever the Horror is Starving?

Of course, more bodies on the ground leads to more paper-trail and a larger footprint for Heroes to find.

Anyone more skilled at the lore and mechanics want to weigh in on how to elaborate on this? Other thoughts?
    Last edited by Vent0; 04-16-2017, 07:08 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Without going into the details (but because it's been spoiled elsewhere), there's going to be cult stuff in the Players Guide. You will be pleased, I think.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

As a Style Merit that tries to fit everything in at once:

Beast Cultist (Supernatural, Style, • to •••••)
      Prerequisites: Occult 1
      Effect: You have pledged yourself to one of the Begotten scions of the Primordial Dream, feeding it sustenance in exchange for purpose and power.
      Living the Legend (•): You make yourself a part of you patron's Legend, able to draw purpose and fulfillment from it. You may regain Willpower from the Beast's Legend as if it were your own, replacing either your Virtue or your Vice.
      Just Like Home (••): Repeated exposure to your patron's Lair has inured you to similar hardships. You become immune to any minor Lair Traits, even in the waking world, as if you were a Beast.
      Feeding the Master (•••): Once a day, whenever you terrorize another in a way compatible with your patron's Hunger, you may make Feeding roll. You gain the first point of Satiety as Willpower, and the remainder goes to your patron.
      Herald of Terror (••••): You can invoke Nightmares your patron possesses by spending a point of Willpower per use, using your Integrity as Satiety.
      Mark of the Beast (•••••): You have taken in some of your patron's very nature, gaining access to one of the their Atavisms for a Scene (treating Lair as 1, when needed) by spending a Willpower point.
      Drawback: Your Beast patron now lives in your dreams. At 1 dot, either your Virtue or Vice is gone, replaced by the Legend. At 3 dots, while your Beast patron is awake (not Slumbering), roll your dots in this Merit each night before sleeping - Success means your dreams are haunted by the Horror and you gain no Willpower from sleep that night. At 5 dots, you also suffer from any Anathemas the Beast is under whenever you activate the Atavism.
      Last edited by Vent0; 04-17-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
        Without going into the details (but because it's been spoiled elsewhere), there's going to be cult stuff in the Players Guide. You will be pleased, I think.
        Oh. Do you have the link?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Oh. Do you have the link?
          Nothing specific's been revealed; only that we included them. Everything is [REDACTED] for the time being, but the book's in development, so it's coming along...

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

Nothing specific's been revealed; only that we included them. Everything is [REDACTED] for the time being, but the book's in development, so it's coming along...

Ah. I searched for "Beast Cult" before posting this, and didn't see anything directly related. That would explain why, I guess.

Can you drop if any of these ideas might be covered (powers being granted by cult status, as opposed to "Beast cults exist"), even lacking specifics, or would that run afoul of the dread NDA ninjas?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Ah. I searched for "Beast Cult" before posting this, and didn't see anything directly related. That would explain why, I guess.

Can you drop if any of these ideas might be covered (powers being granted by cult status, as opposed to "Beast cults exist"), even lacking specifics, or would that run afoul of the dread NDA ninjas?
              Those NDA ninjas have very pointy sticks.

Edit: I can say that the material is more oriented toward Begotten characters, but there's definitely stuff for cultist characters.
              Last edited by Yossarian; 04-16-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X