Beast Storyteller's Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beast Storyteller's Guide

So, let's say that the next book I was going to outline was the Beast STG. What sorts of things would you find useful in such a book?

Matthew McFarland
    Writer, developer, etc.
    Undead for Chill 3rd Ed now on Kickstarter!

Incarnate Lore and more story hooks for them would be pretty great
    American guide about finding old Lairs and conquering them
    a guide to make battles against heroes more complex affairs
    More creatures from the primordial dream that ate related to beasts but not beasts.
    perhaps some kind of covenant for beasts, a huge organization with a common goal

Comment

Originally posted by blackhatmatt View Post
      So, let's say that the next book I was going to outline was the Beast STG. What sorts of things would you find useful in such a book?
      Setting Shards. They let one play with various facets and concepts without having to worry too much about affect the "proper" setting.
      More cross-over support. Not that it is particularly lacking, but as "the Cross-over splat" more mechanics and advice about integrating the other supernaturals (and their supporting Themes) into Beast would always help.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

It depends on what's in the Player's Guide, to be honest. I think most of what I want to see is likely to be in that book, but since you asked...

More information about Hives and how they work, more information on the Primordial Dream and how it fits into the Astral (I fucking love the Astral), maybe something to play up the territoriality of Beasts, I'd definitely like to see how Beasts fit into the themes of other supernaturals as well, some advice on how to portray Heroes as villains (like maybe they tend to get their groupies killed in a blaze of glory or something -- relatively mundane stuff that makes them assholes, you know?).

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
        [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
        [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

More information on what beasts do narrative wise. I've struggled to understand what beasts actually do in games aside from feed and deal with heroes, so help in that area would be appreciated.

Comment

More, even non-canon, parts of Beasts society. Basic BtP is low on their own lore to make them jive in crossovers, but what about us wanting to run a rather strict Begotten games? Some new society variants would be great.

Examples scenarios to run, like those in Werewolf the Forsaken 2E corebook. Nothing more than 2-3 pages, but springing and highlighting some specifics of Beast gameline as story inspirations.

And when we are at this - Brood creation rules, similar to WtF Pack creation. Beasts broods maybe are not so extensive as packs, but idea how to connect different beasts would be golden!

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
            My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
            MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Plot seeds that make the legends of the Dark Mother actively relevant in-game. Bonus points these also provide crossover hooks.

More on Hive politics and social structure.

Beast relations with non-player "Family" (Strix, Shartha, Gentry, Simulatai, etc etc)

Alternate setting Shards, including possibly appropriate rule hacks

Primordial Dream phenomena to explore/harness/be threatened by/etc

(This is assuming a Players Guide is also doable. Because if not, throw in more Nightmares [especially Kinship ones] and Atavisms, and any new Families or Hungers you may have planned)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                (This is assuming a Players Guide is also doable. Because if not, throw in more Nightmares [especially Kinship ones] and Atavisms, and any new Families or Hungers you may have planned)
                The Player's Guide is currently in development, which is the step before it goes into editing!

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

We had a thread like for the Player's Guide in fact.

Something posted in it by YeOfLittleFaith that I thought would make better ST Guide material, so will repost here, was:
                  I really want to see more on the Primordial Dream as an environment and ecosystem and specific instances of the impact it can have on the world in addition to Beasts and Heroes. A deeper look at how both deal with the Dream and the relationship of the Begotten to the rest of the Astral would be great. Also, if there's room for it, more on dreamers. What happens to a proto-Beast who refuses her own primordial self? How does the experience of Beasts-to-be with it differ from dormant Heroes or from Beasts who, for some odd reason or tragic twist, never come to be? Are there other dreamers still in these modern times where the lessons of fear are drowned by the bluster of numberless humans?

Some discussion of the non-"all Beasts must die and I get to be the awesome who kills them" type of Hero (perhaps the comparison between the two culd parallel the that between regular Beasts and Insatiables).

Some Dread Systems for building supernatural family and other phenomena. Beasts might be the crossover critters, but that side of the game shouldn't have to require books from outside the line.

Originally posted by blackhatmatt View Post
                  I'm faintly amused by the fact that you phrased this so it's possible to interpret it as it not being the next the thing you're woking on, and you just fucking with us.
                  Last edited by SunlessNick; 04-18-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I'd definitely like to see some setting shards and hacks that give other ways to run the game. Families as actual bloodlines passed down from generation to generation, Heroes that fulfill their original purpose in the Primordial Dream, Horrors with agendas of their own that don't necessarily relate directly to their immediate Hunger. Heck, while I've never been that bothered by the rarity of physical transformation, I know that there's a lot of people who were, so a hack for that could fit into a shard easily enough.
                    Assuming it isn't already covered in the Player's Guide, I'd like to see more information on Hives and the effects that the Apex has on one.
                    I'd like to see more on the Primordial Dream. I know there's some of that in the Player's Guide, but until I see that, I'm just going to have to assume that there can never be too much on that. I'd especially like to see some weirdness related to the Primordial Dream that baffles even Beasts.
                    I'm seconding the request for information on how Beasts relate to the more alien creatures lurking in the world.
                    Antagonists that aren't Kin that also aren't linked to the God Machine could be an interesting addition. That could be either a new type of critter, or an odd occurrence with existing ones.
                    White Oak Dragon as one of the writers. I think that one might be personal bias, though, and probably doesn't reflect the desires of the others. I'll just go get back to work now.
                    That's what I came up with off the top of my head. If I come up with any more thoughts, I'll be back to suggest them.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                    Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Something I really liked in the Demon STG was the additional crunch for angel NPCs; I think Heroes could use some extra stuff in their arsenal, too, and maybe even some alternate rules.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                      I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

More settings to show off the new rules that get introduced and the themes discussed. That was one of my favourite parts of The Pack, and I would love to see it here too.

CofD booklists:
                        Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Advice on running both "Beast-only" games, and crossover heavy games.
                          More on the Primordial Dream and their creatures.
                          New Hero powers by the gajillion.

(Also, thank you so much for all your work Matt. I've been re-reading the core book and it's so good. Beast is now my favorite CoD line - and Promethean is just behind, so, you know, double thanks )
                          Last edited by Daigotsu Max; 04-17-2017, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                            More information on what beasts do narrative wise. I've struggled to understand what beasts actually do in games aside from feed and deal with heroes, so help in that area would be appreciated.
                            Man, this is how I feel about Vampire, too. Like, what do I actually do with this game?

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post

I'm faintly amused by the fact that you phrased this so it's possible to interpret it as it not being the next the thing you're woking on, and you just fucking with us.
                              Sounds like something I'd do.

No, really, there are a couple of projects that I could outline next, but I'm waiting to hear from OPP about a couple of them, so I figured I'd get some ideas from folks in the meanwhile. Every time we announce a book, someone on the forums says "Oh, I hope it includes [something awesome]," and then I'm like "balls, I didn't think of that," so I figured I'd try and head that off.

Matthew McFarland
                              Writer, developer, etc.
                              Undead for Chill 3rd Ed now on Kickstarter!

Comment

Working...
                              X