No announcement yet.

Beast Storyteller's Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In general, I'd also like to see highlighting "Beasts vs Beasts" conflicts.

Whether it be for hunting grounds, for the same prey, or even a Beast (or a brood) feeling like another Beast or brood is going too far with their choice of feeding.

Comment

If setting hacks aren't good for you, a couple of interesting settings and some ideas/hooks on using them would be good. Something that gets the reader really thinking about how they can use this game?
      Heck, a small (cannot stress that enough) part of me is interested in seeing how the Begotten deal with the large crossover mess that is Chicago where the Kin knows each other already. Tokyo is actually cleaner than that and the Heroic phenomenon takes point (as it should).

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
        In general, I'd also like to see highlighting "Beasts vs Beasts" conflicts.

Whether it be for hunting grounds, for the same prey, or even a Beast (or a brood) feeling like another Beast or brood is going too far with their choice of feeding.

This is definitely getting some ink, yeah.

Comment

Bit of a necro but I figured this was worth revisiting now that the Player's Guide is out. Having seen all the cool new options there, does anybody have new questions they want answered? Did it check off some of the items on your hypothetical wish list?

For me, I'm still hungry for more information on the interaction between Hunger, Legend, and the Beast's choice of Lessons as it relates to building their Myth. The new content on the Incarnate path was great (the Inheritances were in general) but I would still love to see more words devoted to the question of how much a Myth is something you create vs something you become. Are Horrors on the verge of Incarnating pretty much the same as they were at Lair 1 only... moreso? Or can the path there change them into something almost unrecognizably different?

Also more content on Heroes, both in terms of discussion of their place in the Primordial/Bright Dream and more powers to increase their potential threat factor.
          Last edited by HelmsDerp; 03-27-2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I still feel like Beasts don't really have many things to do aside from "Feed" and "Fight Heroes". They added "Make a cult" to the list, but cults are a thing common to a decent number of gamelines to begin with.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

More content on Heroes and Insatiables both would be great, but I'd second the idea the "What does a Beast do?" thing, maybe framed through the question of how broods are organized. The BPG talks about joining lairs as being this intimate experience...but like, what's the daily functioning of a brood like? What are some ways a brood could interact? One of the Demon books breaks down some approaches for how a ring could come together, and that was helpful for conceptualizing what a ring really is beyond "a Demon-specific term for the party." So what makes a brood a brood, beyond the metaphysical connection?

Comment

Additionally, there's all this mentions of Beasts that "explore the greater Chronicles of Darkness" and its Otherworlds (Hisil, Astral Realms, Hedge, Underworld, etc)...but the materials thus far have devoted insufficiently the fluff or the crunch to fully satisfy that avenue of play. All that there is some very scattered, limited plot hooks.
                Last edited by tasti man LH; 07-08-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                  Additionally, there's all this mentions of Beasts that "explore the greater Chronicles of Darkness" and its Otherworlds (Hisil, Astral Realms, Hedge, Underworld, etc)...but the materials thus far have devoted sufficiently the fluff or the crunch to fully satisfy that avenue of play. All that there is some very scattered, limited plot hooks.
                  While everyone has agreed on this point, I'd say tasti man says it best. Beast have great crossover potential, like how they are nightmares and changelings are fantastic dreams, yet the focus is on the daily lives a beast.

A storyteller guide should embrace how beast want to explore their relations to their kin, and we have that through the athaeneum faction, always discovering new things and having built vast knowledge stored in an eldritch library of lairs. Enough that mages have tried to raid it.

The guardian beast could be used to explore the morality of beast. Why are they made to cause deep emotional pain to people, why are these mythic horrors attracted to them, and mkst importantly, what does the dark mother want from them so much as to ruin their lives and expecting obedience.

Finally, while I'm short on ideas for this one, the Empusae could be used to explore beast at their most raw form, truly embracing what they are and having a very deep self understanding of themselves that the other factions can't say they have. These are the guys that see their kin and think "what can I learn from them, and what can they learn from me". They may see similarities with the crone goddess and the dark mother, explore why they affect the hedge in a way the fae fear, and see similarities the primordial dream and divine fire have in heroes and disquieted mobs. Lastly, while yes, the athaeneum would also explore these, it would be in a more disconnected, academic way, with less potential than Empusae can have (which could be a reason for a team-up)

Comment

Working...
                  X