Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Less...intense ways of feeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Less...intense ways of feeding

    This is probably just from me being hilariously incompetent (or unwilling) at being a monster (I actually had to outsource to my other players in a Vampire game how to destroy someone to fulfill an Obsession condition), but I'm wondering what suggestions you guys have for feeding without it being totally harmful to someone. A Beast requires genuine fear and or pain to sustain themselves, if they don't have any relatives they can fulfill Family Dinner with, but surely there's some way of achieving that condition without requiring them to see a psychiatrist afterwards.

    My only method thus far is to have a Beast play someone genuinely scary in a stage production, a character that is terrifying yet once the play ends the Beast is able to go about the audience again. Even if that's relatively slim pickings for a Beast in terms of actual satiety, a good sized audience who buy into the performance should allow a production to at least give a decent meal.

    I appreciate that this kind of topic is kind of missing the point of Beast, but I like the idea of playing a decent person who has a very indecent hunger, and they manage to strike something of a tenuous compromise with it. Doubtless someone in the audience could be scarred by the strength of the performance, or it could derail the entire play if it's too strong, but...I dunno. It's been on my mind for a while.

  • #2
    The performance thing might be possible.

    I think the important thing here is to think first about what your Hunger is. Beasts don't all feed the same way, and defining what empowers your Beast is a big step towards figuring out ways to feed in minimally harmful ways.

    I mean, you can never completely avoid the potential of sending people to therapy, but a Nemesis that doxxes Twitter trolls probably doesn't do too much long term harm to the minds of said targets (even if this particular example isn't the best due to the distance unless the Nemesis focuses on doing it to nearby targets to observe the impact of their efforts)..

    Comment


    • #3
      I've made a couple of characters that kinda do this.... one of them offers/runs a Tourist Trap Hotel that "Guarantees" you the most terrifying Nightmares. He's makes a point of it being consenual... Because people will pay for just about anything, especially big highs that come from being frightened/adrenaline from fear.
      (Seriously.. people have PAID to be Kidnapped.) He sees this as a Safer alternative to some of the more dangerous things people could do. Also one of the things he states is that you Will be Frightened.. not how. He's trying to get several other Beasts to come join his Hotel... The best way to get many people to feed.
      Last edited by RickmanUK; 04-17-2017, 04:01 AM.


      Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

      Comment


      • #4
        First the easiest method is to keep yourself at low satiety. While this puts you are risk for your Horror lashing out if you don't feed, and you can't use nightmares as effectively, your Horror is less picky this gives you more wiggle room than you might have regardless of what your Horror's preferences are. For example a tyrant anakim might demand the utter cowing of an adversary, so at higher satiety the Horror might want want the utter breaking point to the extent of them collapsing or something like that. However at lower satiety you'd be justified in feeding off complete wins that aren't too horribly devestating to the person. Like a first to 10 one on one basketball game with the Beast performing an utter shut out to force the person to accept that they are that out classed. I mean it might upset the person a bit, but unless being the best at the game was absolutely essential to the person's psyche you're probably not doing much damage.

        Oh nemesis is also a good one if you're trying to run a good person. I mean the Horror might have it's interest in what it determines a crime and the appropriate punishment, but if you're into punishment then you can feed by handling crimes. God knows it's not that difficult for an Ugallu to figure out means providing evidence to the police of various criminal activities to enable to the Beast to feed on the arrests. (For the record dismantling criminal organizations is glorious for a ravager.)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RickmanUK View Post
          I've made a couple of characters that kinda do this.... one of them offers/runs a Tourist Trap Hotel that "Guarantees" you the most terrifying Nightmares. He's makes a point of it being consenual... Because people will pay for just about anything, especially big highs that come from being frightened/adrenaline from fear.
          (Seriously.. people have PAID to be Kidnapped.) He sees this as a Safer alternative to some of the more dangerous things people could do. Also one of the things he states is that you Will be Frightened.. not how. He's trying to get several other Beasts to come join his Hotel... The best way to get many people to feed.
          Heh. This reminds me somewhat of Anteiku from Tokyo Ghoul. The 'ghouls' had no choice but to eat human flesh and many of them were really quite monstrous, but the ANteiku ghouls used the meat of suicides. It's not exactly the same thing, but it reminded me of it.


          Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

          Comment


          • #6
            My character, Hargrove, is a stage magician with a Horror that Hungers for Power, specifically for its victims to be utterly amazed by it. It wants to drive people insane, breaking down the lines between reality and fantasy, but it settles for the amazement and wonder that Hargrove invokes by making people truly believe. Your performance idea could work perfectly, provided that the fear is real.


            Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
            Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

            Comment


            • #7
              There's plenty of nasty things that go bump in the night to easily supply worthy targets for Power Prey and Punishment hungers if running a vigilante would work for you. Prey explicitly allows sport hunting at low Satiety, and you could keep to population control, eat what you kill type behavior as much as possible. Hoard can be pretty manageable, depending on what you specifically collect.

              I have a game right now with a Ravager who mostly contents himself with graffiti and other small scale vandalism against The Man. When he goes bigger with his destruction it's in the form of things like burning down condemned buildings that the city refuses to renovate or tear down despite being a major health hazard. Scares the hell out of people but for a pretty good reason.

              Another Beast collects trophies, and throws herself into every competitive sport she can sign up for. In a pinch she'll take anything somebody is willing to bet on a contest of skill.

              Comment


              • #8
                So, like do these folks horrors whine about their choices?


                A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                  So, like do these folks horrors whine about their choices?
                  Oh please your standard Horror only has the three settings. It's either in a food coma, complaining about being hungry, or eating.

                  Eh for the most part if you're at low satiety then the horror is going to be upset due to being starving. As far as the feeding choices go if you're in the right ballpark that the Horror will eat then it should be fine most of the time, even if it views the food as not as good as it could be, of course there's always the possibility of failing a feeding roll in which case yeah the Horror has decided this particular feed is crap.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My best advice is to think about what low trauma things a Beast can do to satiate their hunger while still providing good plot hooks for the Chronicle.

                    A Makara Collecter I'm playing now steals magical secrets and artifacts either for hire or to keep them out of the hands of ordinary mortals who's lives could be destroyed by their power. In the former he hires himself out as a secret shopper to the local Mage Orders (primarily the Guardians of the Veil) in order to teach young Awakened the value of teamwork and cooperation. He leaves a warning for the cabal phantom thief style and gives them a timeframe of when he'll break into their Sanctum and steal a valuable item from each of them. If they can catch him or prevent him from stealing the items then they win and hopefully come away from that wiser. If he can steal their valuables then he wins and keeps them, hopefully showcasing what they did wrong in the process so when lives are really on the line they can properly work together. Although, if he wins he does get to keep their treasures. That is what's first agree'd upon when the cabal's mentor or Order hires him.

                    This way the fear and loss are real, but it's done in a way that gives all of the chances in the world to the prey. Plus, if he does succeed then he'll have some very naive an pissed of Mages after him. Which is great. ^_^

                    The other method is significantly easier since he's stealing from mortals and doesn't announce his presence like when he's on the clock. But there's a higher chance of collateral damage as while his point is to steal magical relics from mortals who don't know what they're getting into, there's always the off occasion that those mortals really do need those relics to either save themselves or their family from some supernatural threat they would be impossible to do otherwise. By stealing these relics the Beast tries to save them from the supernatural, but in doing so dooms them instead. Which I think is still good because the aftermath of such a mistake can lead to some fantastic story moments with the Beast trying to balance his Legend with his Life.
                    Last edited by Dusksage; 04-18-2017, 02:18 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                      I appreciate that this kind of topic is kind of missing the point of Beast, but I like the idea of playing a decent person who has a very indecent hunger, and they manage to strike something of a tenuous compromise with it.
                      Not at all! This is very much in tune with Beast! There are even some examples in the core book, like the little girl pretending to drown (which, admittedly, would be very traumatic) or the secretary of the school's principal no one wanted to face.

                      Off the top of my head: Be the lawyer everyone is afraid of facing in court, because he always sees to it that justice wins (throw in some daredevil if you feel like it). The Ravager police chef who dismantles one crime syndicate after the other, through strategizing if not through being on the field himself. The Ugallu Nemesis mall security who notices EVERY thief, and lets them know before catching them.
                      The Boxer who only wins against arrogant guys. The fellow student who leaves everyone else feel inadequate through his excellence.
                      The security systems salesman who repeatedly breaks into rich homes to make them afraid - and stops once they have sufficiently secure homes.
                      The old weirdo that is mean and scary to the kids - who keeps them safe from the other things that go bump in the night.
                      How about an art collector, or curator, who presents scary artifacts from all over the world?
                      Hell, why not a family-friendly version of Pickman? Make an artist focused on creating scary art, you're bound to be able to feed a hungry Horror with that similar to your scary performer.

                      You might want to stay away from Eshmaki Predators, though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

                        Not at all! This is very much in tune with Beast! There are even some examples in the core book, like the little girl pretending to drown (which, admittedly, would be very traumatic) or the secretary of the school's principal no one wanted to face.

                        Off the top of my head: Be the lawyer everyone is afraid of facing in court, because he always sees to it that justice wins (throw in some daredevil if you feel like it). The Ravager police chef who dismantles one crime syndicate after the other, through strategizing if not through being on the field himself. The Ugallu Nemesis mall security who notices EVERY thief, and lets them know before catching them.
                        The Boxer who only wins against arrogant guys. The fellow student who leaves everyone else feel inadequate through his excellence.
                        The security systems salesman who repeatedly breaks into rich homes to make them afraid - and stops once they have sufficiently secure homes.
                        The old weirdo that is mean and scary to the kids - who keeps them safe from the other things that go bump in the night.
                        How about an art collector, or curator, who presents scary artifacts from all over the world?
                        Hell, why not a family-friendly version of Pickman? Make an artist focused on creating scary art, you're bound to be able to feed a hungry Horror with that similar to your scary performer.

                        You might want to stay away from Eshmaki Predators, though.

                        I could see a Steven King book about the old crazy man in the neighborhood, in the spooky house, who terrifies the kids with stories, steals any bike or ball that ends up in his yard and so on.

                        Then at the end, when the real terror has cornered the children, reveals himself as an even bigger boogeyman and axes the thing to death, saving the children.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by WaywardPaladin View Post


                          I could see a Steven King book about the old crazy man in the neighborhood, in the spooky house, who terrifies the kids with stories, steals any bike or ball that ends up in his yard and so on.

                          Then at the end, when the real terror has cornered the children, reveals himself as an even bigger boogeyman and axes the thing to death, saving the children.
                          Bigger boogeyman part aside, isnt that the plot of Monster House?


                          A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

                            Bigger boogeyman part aside, isnt that the plot of Monster House?

                            That movie was surprisingly dark and sad. Having to kill the remnant of your wife because she's too lost to her past of abuse to keep from being a threat to the neighbors.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              @Wormwood

                              Nice Pickman's Model reference. Honestly Pickman would make an excellent Beast template wholesale since he's also in the Dream Quest for Unknown Kadash.
                              Last edited by Dusksage; 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X