Building a Legend now on DTRPG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Legend now on DTRPG!

Building a Legend is now available to those who didn't get it in the Kickstarter. This is a sweet little book. Even if you aren't a regular Beast player, it has awesome setting building advice so you probably want to pick it up.

Discuss.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

So... What precisely does Building a Legend contain?

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Chapter One is about building a Signature Setting, for your game. It includes things like where to look for inspiration, how to brainstorm as a group, the different thematic elements of the region, how to use (and not overuse) history, introducing other supernatural actors, and how to let the region evolve over the course of a chronicle.

Chapter Two focuses on the Primordial Dream, examining Dreamscapes, Lairs, Chambers, and how to put them all together in a game.

Chapter Three looks at the structure of the chronicle itself, how to structure and focus them, how to use allies & NPCs, how to build relationships and design plots.

At the end of each chapter, there is an example of a group building a chronicle set in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul. It is very different by necessity in format from the other Signature Settings in the corebooks, but I think it is quite neat.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Is the first chapter like Damnation City then?

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
          Is the first chapter like Damnation City then?
          From what I understand (having never read Damnation City), apparently yes.

To the point that Damnation City is directly referenced in the "Inspiration & Resources" section in the first chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
            From what I understand (having never read Damnation City), apparently yes.

To the point that Damnation City is directly referenced in the "Inspiration & Resources" section in the first chapter.
            Damn, never understood all the fanfair behind Damnation City.

Might still give this a look considering how cheap it is though.

Comment

Damn, never understood all the fanfair behind Damnation City.

Might still give this a look considering how cheap it is though.
              It's certainly a less intensive read then Damnation City.

That book clocking in at +400 pages, while BaL is only +60 pages.

Again, haven't read Damnation City myself, but the material in BaL I find to be good enough on its own to not need to worry about not reading DC.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                It's certainly a less intensive read then Damnation City.

That book clocking in at +400 pages, while BaL is only +60 pages.

Again, haven't read Damnation City myself, but the material in BaL I find to be good enough on its own to not need to worry about not reading DC.
                I've always found the size of Damnation City super intimidating. This is way more digestible.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Having given it a look, Building a Legend is definitely worth it for the stuff on Chambers alone. That section is gold which caused me to change how I viewed the primordial dream completely.

Comment

Having given it a look, Building a Legend is definitely worth it for the stuff on Chambers alone. That section is gold which caused me to change how I viewed the primordial dream completely.

How exactly does the book present Chambers and the Hive? I must admit, the Astral Realms don't exactly strike me as places that adhere very strongly to geography in contrast to, say, the Shadow. However, Chambers are rather explicitly based off of real locations where Integrity has been lost to the supernatural or a Beast has inflicted a serious Nightmare. Just as a note, I like what Chambers being a part of the deep Temenos bordering on the Anima Mundi says- Integrity loss to the supernatural gets imbedded in humanity's collective unconscious with a big fat NOPE sticker, leaving it to be collected by the creatures which are signposts of "You are now leaving the world of human influence".

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post

How exactly does the book present Chambers and the Hive? I must admit, the Astral Realms don't exactly strike me as places that adhere very strongly to geography in contrast to, say, the Shadow. However, Chambers are rather explicitly based off of real locations where Integrity has been lost to the supernatural or a Beast has inflicted a serious Nightmare. Just as a note, I like what Chambers being a part of the deep Temenos bordering on the Anima Mundi says- Integrity loss to the supernatural gets imbedded in humanity's collective unconscious with a big fat NOPE sticker, leaving it to be collected by the creatures which are signposts of "You are now leaving the world of human influence".
                      Warped scars in the astral, each a pocket world of it's own all tied together in a maze of burrows and full of "otherness". It even gives reasons to enter chambers which haven't been claimed as part of the lair for things like travelling through the hive, examining the "very biased and warped" history of a location, and a few other neat things (until this book I hadn't even thought of beasts physically travelling into chambers that aren't lair-chambers).

Also, being part of the hive can really suck depending on the Apex and the book actually gives me a sense that trying to alter their Hive is something Beasts can do outside of crossovers and feeding.
                      Last edited by milo v3; 07-07-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

That is very, very interesting. I didn't consider that Burrows would be a thing in the greater Hive. I mean, I figured they might be, but it's nice to have confirmation. Does the book give any ideas on travelling outside the Lair but still in the Hive? Do you still connect with your Horror even if you are outside your immediate Lair but are connected to the local Hive?

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                          That is very, very interesting. I didn't consider that Burrows would be a thing in the greater Hive. I mean, I figured they might be, but it's nice to have confirmation. Does the book give any ideas on travelling outside the Lair but still in the Hive? Do you still connect with your Horror even if you are outside your immediate Lair but are connected to the local Hive?
                          A Beast is always connected to their Horror. If you mean physically turn into the monster they really are, that only applies when inside their own Lair.

Traveling around the Hive is actually enabled in the core book, as any Beast can open a Pathway to any Chamber they're aware of, whether the Chamber is part of their Lair or part of someone else's Lair or an unclaimed Chamber.

I don't actually know if a Beast can temporarily merge their Lair with a Chamber like they can in the normal world, to be honest...

Comment

Originally posted by Paradim View Post
                            I don't actually know if a Beast can temporarily merge their Lair with a Chamber like they can in the normal world, to be honest...
                            As far as I can tell it does, since Primordial Pathways specifically mention that you can use them to go to those chambers (you even get a bonus), and it specifically works by overlapping the two locations.

Comment

As far as I can tell it does, since Primordial Pathways specifically mention that you can use them to go to those chambers (you even get a bonus), and it specifically works by overlapping the two locations.
                              That's a good point! So yeah, a Beast's Lair and therefore the full power of their Horror is always a Pathway away.

Huh... Can multiple Beasts open a Pathway to their own Lair at the same time in a single location? That would get confusing...

Comment

Working...
                              X