Do the lessons a Beast teaches have to agree with each other

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the lessons a Beast teaches have to agree with each other

Is it ok for different beasts to have different views on what their teaching?

as far as I know, their's no Centralized authority the lessons come from

Im sure one who teaches lessons that get too eccentric will probaly be viewed like one who feeds their horror without teaching.

A beast can try to teach whatever they want. Each beast can try to teach different things.

Comment

But if say, one trys teaching Traditional gender roles, another trys teaching Gender equity?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
        But if say, one trys teaching Traditional gender roles, another trys teaching Gender equity?
        Yes, there is no reason that cannot happen, since lessons are just the justification and intention of a beasts actions. They aren't an actual objective "thing" in the world.

Comment

So... wait!
          If someone has bad luck and two beasts start teaching him opposing lessons every night, that person basically get's mind-screwed constantly because they can't do anything right?

Comment

Beasts tend to avoid going after the same person repeatedly. That attracts Heroes.

Comment

If the Beasts want to keep picking on the person, yes. Beasts are generally not nice people. Now, its unlikely to keep going on, since they'll probably quickly fill their Hunger and move on, but its theoretically possible if you really want to make a story of it.
              Last edited by MCN; 07-11-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Most people targeted by beasts probably have no idea what "lesson" they're meant to learn or that there is meant to be a lesson to begin with.

Comment

Not only can Beasts teach opposing lessons, some of the additional material outside the core rulebook posits that this happens all the time.

In the Dark Era "A Fearful Lesson", it outlines that in the Reconstruction South that there existed Beasts that were either teaching anti-slavery lessons or pro-slavery lessons, pro-North or pro-South. And how uncomfortable and awkward it is when Beasts with opposing ideologies have to deal with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Davesknd View Post
                    So... wait!
                    If someone has bad luck and two beasts start teaching him opposing lessons every night, that person basically get's mind-screwed constantly because they can't do anything right?
                    Under theoretical circumstances, yes.

in practice NO

The two beasts would notice each other and go at each other...

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                      Under theoretical circumstances, yes.

in practice NO

The two beasts would notice each other and go at each other...
                      Would they? The lesson is mostly just a justification for feeding, so at least according to my reading it's pretty difficult to imagine beasts fighting over them. Unless it's putting the other beasts in the area in danger, or it's already a highly charged conflict like the slavery example given above.

It seems like a beast trying to teach mortals to work hard and a beast trying to teach mortals to enjoy life would probably just agree to disagree unless they had another reason to come into conflict.

she/her

Comment

Every once in a while, there'd be a Beast who saw his lessons as not a tool to turn his monstrosity into something worthwhile, but a sacred goal on its own. That's the type of Begotten who'd go at other Beasts who disagree with him.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

You could also have two Beasts with opposing lessons decide that a given mortal will be the battleground between them. Whichever lesson is learned determines the winner. I'd certainly pity that poor bastard.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                          Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                            Every once in a while, there'd be a Beast who saw his lessons as not a tool to turn his monstrosity into something worthwhile, but a sacred goal on its own. That's the type of Begotten who'd go at other Beasts who disagree with him.
                            You're right and that's an easy situation to imagine at the table, but I thought Prince was describing common beast behavior.

she/her

Comment

Most Beasts I can't imagine going after each other. Except in the highly charged situation mentioned above, Beasts seem to be more inclined to talk things out as "family" instead of being mutually opposed. Its really not like there's limited resources to fight over or natural territorialism, so its not like the instictual rivalry vamps and wolves have for each other. So, barring major idealogical differences (like with Slavery), I don't see most beasts responding with violence when their hunting crosses with another Begotten. Especially when their natural inclination is towards Good impressions with monsters at least.

Its probably not smart to focus on the same people, because I can see that having the potential to mess up the Dream and call down Heroes and maybe hunters, but I don't think its going to be that huge of a problem to come to blows most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X