Predators and Feeding question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predators and Feeding question

So, me and the boys have just started up a crossover chronicle with 2 Beasts, 1 Werewolf, and 1 Atariya. During a session zero, one of my Beast players, who's playing a Makara Predator, said that a Predator's prey doesn't need to be aware of the fact that he's being hunted in order to feed. He believes this means that he can sit atop a clock tower with sniper in hand, watching his prey until he goes inside a building without the prey ever knowing that he could have been killed and that should qualify as a success for feeding. Page 40 in the Beast core under On the Hunt for the Predators description would seem to back this up. However, on page 108 under Feeding, it says that the prey must experience the shock. The victim must realize what is happening. This would seem to make what is stated about Predators on the hunt false. The victim must know.

So my question is this. Is this some kind of contradiction? Are we reading it wrong? We need this to be clarified because it has us scrathing our heads. Thanks for any help.

I would highly disagree with your interpretation of the On the Hunt section. Partially because you have to take a trophy afterwards, and partially because it denotes you need to see their fear. He definitely needs to inflict shock on the victim for feeding to work.

Comment

Is nothing has been taken, then you have not fed.

Comment

In addition to what the two posts above me say, if your player wants to feed passively, he might want to try arranging Family Dinners.
        Last edited by Manic Pixie Dreamcast; 07-29-2017, 06:00 PM.

she/her

Comment

I second Manic Pixie Dreamcast: Family Dinners allows you to feed by watching others do things. Neither hunter nor hunted need to know you are there.

Feeding normally, however, works if the Prey experiences serious, profound shock.
          Pulling on someone's chair when they are sleeping would not qualify, except maybe in very specific cases.
          If he would actually shoot (their car, their bad, a lamp close to them) that would certainly frighten them, and probably make them aware they are being targeted by a nefarious force. That might do it.
          The not being aware part probably refers to things like Beasts who climb into your house when you sleep, or even are awake, and then do something like cut a lock of your hair. But here, you have a trophy, and the target might still experience a shock when they realize what happend.
          Also, remember that Feeding is easier when running low, but when fattened up, it gets harder, as the horror becomes a picky eater.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahuman101 View Post
            So, me and the boys have just started up a crossover chronicle with 2 Beasts, 1 Werewolf, and 1 Atariya. During a session zero, one of my Beast players, who's playing a Makara Predator, said that a Predator's prey doesn't need to be aware of the fact that he's being hunted in order to feed. He believes this means that he can sit atop a clock tower with sniper in hand, watching his prey until he goes inside a building without the prey ever knowing that he could have been killed and that should qualify as a success for feeding. Page 40 in the Beast core under On the Hunt for the Predators description would seem to back this up. However, on page 108 under Feeding, it says that the prey must experience the shock. The victim must realize what is happening. This would seem to make what is stated about Predators on the hunt false. The victim must know.

So my question is this. Is this some kind of contradiction? Are we reading it wrong? We need this to be clarified because it has us scrathing our heads. Thanks for any help.
            1) What the heck is an Atariya?

2) Beasts feed by inflicting fear responses. If you hold up a knife to someone's throat while they sleep, that won't cause any such response. Same with playing sniper with blanks.

Comment

Long and short they don't need to know you're there, but they need to know you were there. So leaving photos or something establishing you were there, they were followed, and completely unaware of your presence. If you can get photos that imply you were at the table when they had their morning coffee or in their car on the way to work, that'll work perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
                1) What the heck is an Atariya?
                An Atariya is an exceptionally lucky mortal, their unique merits are in Hurt Locker.

Comment

Originally posted by Draca View Post

An Atariya is an exceptionally lucky mortal, their unique merits are in Hurt Locker.
                  Atraya are ones who get Damn Lucky, Mr. Lucky, 9-Lives, and a few other merits. They're near "The Plain Ones" and a few others, basically for people who just want to be "slightly more special humans"

Comment

Working...
                  X