No announcement yet.

[w/Princess] Odd Friends-Don't Mess with a Princess and Her Dragon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody has posted on here in a while... Whelp, I'm about to change that, with this thought I had regarding Beasts and Alhambra!

​The Last Empress's Beastly Servants
    Wherever there is fear, there are Beasts to feast upon it, and in The City Under Siege, there is plenty of fear to go around, even if those fears are never spoken of before the Ever-Flowing One. Thus it is no surprise that there are Begotten in Alhambra, but they too are firmly under her Majesty's thumb. Shortly after a Homecoming (And it is always a Homecoming, for the Beasts of Alhambra would never think to Devour another... at least without a proper writ), a newly Begotten can acpect a visit from the Spotted Hyenas, where upon they are brought before the Queen and her Court. There, standing before the Lady and her nobles they are told of their purpose: They are monstrous souls, similar yet different from the Darkness, and their duty is to serve Alhambra by turning the powers of the Darkness against itself. Those who except this duty are rarely praised for it, for many citizens naturally fear them for their monstrous nature, and while they will never rise to the ranks of nobility, a hardworking and skilled Beast can look forward to some status and rank.

​Anakim generally are poached by the Order of the Spotted Hyena, where their great strength put to use on the field of battle. The Order of the Beaver also have an interest in the Giants, for they make excellent workmen.
    The Eshmaki also commonly become recruits of the Hyenas, as their knack for hit and run messing well with Alhambra's conservative style of battle. Their ability to blend in and move about undetected is also seen as a great boon by the Ghost Owls.
    Makara rarely serve any order besides Order of the Otter, they're swimming skills deemed too valuable for harvesting from Alhambra's salty sea to be wasted.
    Namtaru are the least desirable of all Beasts, and are generally forced into the Order of the Raccoon
    Ugallu are a first choice for the Ghost Owls, as their powers of perception allow them to easily spot the tiniest hint of weakness in others.

​An Alhambran Beast will often find themselves sent out to the Rebellious Providences, especially locations deemed too dangerous for Princesses or Sworn, for while their powers are useful they lack the connection with Alhambra's Glorious History to be deemed irreplaceable.

​Any Beast will find that Alhambra's people provide plentiful but bland nourishment as one might expect, giving one less Satiety per feeding, though any feeding using the dark add a bonus to the roll. Further, the aura of dread that hangs in the are seems to slow down their Horror's digestion; they lose Satiety at a third the normal rate.

​What do you guys think of that?

​==Edit==
    ​why do I keep confusing accept with except? They aren't even homophones.
    ​Also, I keep getting my there's mixed up, damn it!
    Last edited by Mangaholic13; 03-10-2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• I wasn't aware that this thread needed to keep going?

ANyways, that's pretty neat, but I have to wonder what's the point of playing that stick so hard. If your family clearly doesn't appreciate you and keeps that ceiling low over you, a Beast is more likely to get out of the house than stick around, particularly since any Beast is going to see the problems pretty quick and feel the pull of their hunger away from it. Just because folks are family doesn't mean you have to live under the same roof.

That said, the idea that Alhambra explicitly keeps a gaggle of Beasts as sappers and subversives against the Darkness is pretty neat. They just need to better incentivize them, because a Beast has got way too many options to settle on a poor deal.
      Last edited by ArcaneArts; 02-08-2018, 07:31 PM.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
      Work Blog Coming Soon
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
        I wasn't aware that this thread needed to keep going?

ANyways, that's pretty neat, but I have to wonder what's the point of playing that stick so hard. If your family clearly doesn't appreciate you and keeps that ceiling low over you, a Beast is more likely to get out of the house than stick around, particularly since any Beast is going to see the problems pretty quick and feel the pull of their hunger away from it. Just because folks are family doesn't mean you have to live under the same roof.

That said, the idea that Alhambra explicitly keeps a gaggle of Beasts as sappers and subversives against the Darkness is pretty neat. They just need to better incentivize them, because a Beast has got way too many options to settle on a poor deal.
        ​Good points Arcane.

​I was also thinking they'd use Beasts as recruiters for people from the Rebellious Providences, as their fear-based powers would make it easier for them to convince people, "This place isn't safe, but you know where is? Alhambra."

​Most of this came from me randomly thinking, "Now, how would Alhambra use Beasts/fear to their advantage.

​Also, I think a Beast might try to teach a Tears Princess, "It's not worth it." Maybe even getting a Kinship Nightmare called ​Was It Really Worth It?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mangaholic13 View Post

​Good points Arcane.

​I was also thinking they'd use Beasts as recruiters for people from the Rebellious Providences, as their fear-based powers would make it easier for them to convince people, "This place isn't safe, but you know where is? Alhambra."

​Most of this came from me randomly thinking, "Now, how would Alhambra use Beasts/fear to their advantage.

​Also, I think a Beast might try to teach a Tears Princess, "It's not worth it." Maybe even getting a Kinship Nightmare called ​Was It Really Worth It?
          That would be an awesome Nightmare!

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

That would be an awesome Nightmare!
            ​Actually, going back to lessons and kinship nightmares, I had a few ideas for other courts:

​Clubs​: That sometimes, conflict is necessary
            Diamonds: Not all problems can be solved with knowledge. ​There Are Things Man Was Never Meant To Know!
            Hearts​: Some rules are made to be broken.
            ​Spades: There are things you can't laugh off. Dude, Not Funny!
            Swords​: Sometimes, love isn't enough. ​Failure Is The Only Option

Storms​: Hatred cuts both ways. ​You Are What You Hate.​
            Mirrors​: You can't go it alone. ​You Ain't So Special.

​Also, here's something I thought might be interesting: We know what stereotypes Nobles have for Beasts, but what stereotypes do Beasts have for Nobles? Here's some ideas...

Anakim: Want to see who can burn the longest?
            Eshmaki: Would you mind turning that down a bit? Some of us happen to prefer the dark.
            Makara​: Watch your mouth! Some of my best friends are squids!
            Namtaru: Your powers make you beautiful, and tell you how rotten everyone else is... Don't know if I envy or pity you.
            Ugallu​: I wonder, if I fly close to you, would I burn up?
            Last edited by Mangaholic13; 03-10-2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• My own take on Beasts looking at with Princesses:

Anakim: You show them where they can go. I'll pick you both up when you fall.
              Eshmaki: You leave the light on for them, give them a place to go. I'll make sure they're strong enough to get home at night.
              Makara: You call it love, but does he make you breathless? Does he leave you clawing for purchase, unable to know where up is? It's not love unless it's the deep end, dear.
              Also Makara: No, seriously, that's not what my tentacles are for.
              Namtaru: You fight for truth, but have trouble with leaking wounds. I'll try to be gentle.
              Ugallu: You shine a light and I pull back the curtains. The winner is sense overload.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

My own take on Beasts looking at with Princesses:

Anakim: You show them where they can go. I'll pick you both up when you fall.
                Eshmaki: You leave the light on for them, give them a place to go. I'll make sure they're strong enough to get home at night.
                Makara: You call it love, but does he make you breathless? Does he leave you clawing for purchase, unable to know where up is? It's not love unless it's the deep end, dear.
                Also Makara: No, seriously, that's not what my tentacles are for.
                Namtaru: You fight for truth, but have trouble with leaking wounds. I'll try to be gentle.
                Ugallu: You shine a light and I pull back the curtains. The winner is sense overload.
                ​Yours are way better than mine, much more in the spirit of Beast. Mine were too antagonistic...

Comment

• TO be fair, the reason this thread exists is because I like both Beast and Princess and deeply rail at default assumptions of antagonism. I like the rough and hard relationship between them, and doing this little thing did remind me that they are at odds and ends in a lot of ways, but also reminded me that they aspire to same things at different ends.

Princesses blaze towards the heights. Beasts provide a stability and clarity at the bottom. They are both caretakers of humanity, and if one is a low form of the other, it is still a comfort to know that if one fails, the other succeeds. Whoever they are.
                  Last edited by ArcaneArts; 02-10-2018, 12:11 AM.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

• Yeah, when Princesses see what happens when Beasts aren't monstrous, I still think they'll look at their own Sensitivity and commiserate over lots of booze about both having powers that basically force them to act a certain way, with both ways being taxing on the mind and conscience. Then, maybe they'll try to help them minimize damage and maximize good, but the act will give them lots of shadows.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Thinking about Beasts and Princesses being friends is interesting to say the least. Partially because I get this mental image of a shaky friendship at first where the Beast and Princess try to understand things from each others point of view, but also understand that they can't change who they are without dire consequences.

But mostly for the mental image of the Princess on the losing end of a fight about to get killed or worse and suddenly there's the Beast shielding them from the Darkness.

"So you feed on fear huh? Cute, now let me show you what true fear looks like."

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                        Yeah, when Princesses see what happens when Beasts aren't monstrous, I still think they'll look at their own Sensitivity and commiserate over lots of booze about both having powers that basically force them to act a certain way, with both ways being taxing on the mind and conscience. Then, maybe they'll try to help them minimize damage and maximize good, but the act will give them lots of shadows.
                        Well, yeah. One does not expect the Nobility to hang out with Beasts without walking away a little dimmer for it. Wisdom and place there may be among the Eldest, but that wisdom flows like blood rather than water, and keeps the place shaded in kind.

Then again, any good family member is gonna take note, and try to find a way to help lighten the load*. Compromise is the thing this sort of shit is built on.

*Okay, admittedly, on the opposite side of family is nature, as in the scorpion saying "It's just my nature." This shit ain't easy, even if they are the most likely to try,

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

• Honestly more invested in them as drinking buddies complaining about the shit their urges did to them this week

Comment

Honestly more invested in them as drinking buddies complaining about the shit their urges did to them this week
                            Down for it.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

• Cause sometimes, Family is about sharing pain as well as love

EDIT: Especially if they spend the rest of the week trying to undo each other's work

EDIT: Would not be the first time people put aside deeply-held moral convictions to find someone who seems to understand. And I mean that on both sides.
                              Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 02-15-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I think most Radiant Princesses would really disagree with Beasts until they saw what happens when they don't act like bullies and such. Then they'd share a lot of drinks and bemoan how fucking unfair the universe is to both of them in different ways. Then I guess they would try to help them at least channel it into semi-appropriate channels or maybe even try to "cure" them.

Mirrors and Storms though...label them as Creatures of Darkness. No contest. the hit to their sensitivity for slaughtering them is probably gonna be a big surprise.
                                Seeing as people are now actually listening to me, thought I'd show my original comment about the relationship

Comment

Working...
                                X