Family working together: Beasts with other Splats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family working together: Beasts with other Splats

So, since there is a Beast vs. other Splats thread, I thought we could also talk about how Beasts could be useful to others, why others might tolerate them etc. and work out little concepts for that.

So why would Werewolves find it useful to integrate a Beast into the pack, what would make the highly suspicious vampires accepting of a Beast, and for what reason might demons team up with Begotten?

I think for Vampire, the most likely covenants to accept a Beast are the Circle of the Crone and the Ordo Dracul. The former celebrates being a monster, and Beasts are quite unapologetic about being monsters for that matter. Furthermore, the Dark Mother and Crone parrallels can make for some reciprocal of the kinship Beasts feel.
    Why would a circle allow a Beast? It gives them the upper hand in a variety of areas, not least of which is daylight activity. Furthermore, a Dragonbreath Beast would be an incredible asset to have. Nyrufa actually posted a Wyrm of the Circle idea I really liked.
    For the Ordo, a Beast is actually a similar state to what they are trying to achieve: free of weaknesses like Sunlight and Fire, but still capable of supernatural feats. However, this sort of relationship might turn sour rather quickly, as the Dragon might be looking to resort to less than comfortable means of... research, and might not bother with trivialities like consent.
    The Lancea might actually be willing to team up with Beasts that are big on teaching a lesson similar to their own beliefs, so that might work out, too.

Werewolves might appreciate the Beast's ability to change the playing field, and giving them a homefield advantage.

Demons most likely would not directly interact, but someone outside the G-M's grasp is a useful tool to have.

Any other ideas`? What makes Changelings, Mages, Prometheans and Sin-Eaters likely to team up with Beasts?
    How could Hunters and Beasts team up?

Outside of splats: What would make a Beast an interesting candidate for Ghosts, Spirits, and the like?

Hunters and beasts might team up if their both pursuing the same supernatural (who the beast wants to teach a "Lesson") They might team up, a clueless hunter might not even see that the beast is anything unusual.

Comment

My Beast currently has the following Broodmates: Ordo Dracul Mekhet Vamp - Broodmates because of a longstanding friendship and they are now professional colleagues.

Anakim Beast w/ Hunger for Power: She is his ten year old daughter. Self-explanatory.

And his associates (but not broodmates): Makara Beast, Hunger for the Hoard. They are peers and equals in most every way, and they mostly talk about regular guy stuff when they get together and sometimes Beast things.

Unchained. Don't know much about her and he is not aware that she is unchained because she has managed to spoof him every single time they met so far, but even if/when he disovers the truth he'll be strongly inclined to give her a free pass despite not being kin because she saved his life when she could have left him to die.

two Changelings, don't know much about either except that they are Changelings. Just associates of circumstance with no other connection, but are cordial and converse peacefully over drinks.

He has never met a werewolf, has only encountered a handful of mages and knows a few other Beasts in town. Never met any of the other splats, except for a Pandoran inhabiting a murder house that was a chamber, which he killed to attain custody of that house.

Pretty diverse reasons, all told. Doesn't need to be anything super-special, either; sometimes supers are just friends (And thus inclined to work together) because they get along regardless of super type.
      Last edited by Eternal Darkness; 09-29-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

A Beast and Mage relationship has a lot to offer each other. A Beast is drawn to explore the supernatural and such holds many mysteries for a Mage to obsess over. A great benefit the Mage gets is a friend who has access to the Skeleton Key.

Comment

The chances of Beasts teaming up with Hunters / Heroes of their own volition is highly unlikely, when you think about it. Hunters and Heroes typically want to kill their victims, where as Beasts typically wish to enlighten them.

Enlightenment is wasted upon the dead, so these two goals are mutually exclusive to one another. The only way I could see them working together is if they have been threatened with mutual destruction unless they call a truce and work together to resolve the situation. It's not too far fetched, as there are plenty of stories involving this exact scenario where the "heroes" and "villains" team up in order to confront a more dangerous adversary.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
            Werewolves might appreciate the Beast's ability to change the playing field, and giving them a homefield advantage.

Demons most likely would not directly interact, but someone outside the G-M's grasp is a useful tool to have.

Any other ideas`? What makes Changelings, Mages, Prometheans and Sin-Eaters likely to team up with Beasts?
            How could Hunters and Beasts team up?
            Well, a Beasts might be able to aid a pack socially, using charm and Nightmares to get access to things a werewolf might have a hard time getting due to rage. And since a Beast can have many supernatural contacts, one could maybe find the info about a spirit's weaknesses that the pack might not have found through their normal methods.

I think you've pretty much answered the Demon question, especially since Beasts can't make deals. Heck, I have a theory that the Merrick Institute's creators were linked to the God- Machine.

Again, Changeling might want someone who can better interact with mundane people, and to act as a go between with other supernatural factions. Though, Beasts would naturally have to overcome more than a little suspicion from Changeling (especially if a Beast lets slip that they see True Fae as Kin... though that might not be as big of a problem once 2nd edition finally gets released...). Further, a Beast could act as Keeper interference; and I'm sure a Nemesis would be glad to punish Oath-breakers.

Prometheans would love to have a buddy who isn't affected by Disquiet, even if a Beast might not understand the significance of the Pilgrimage. Heck, I've thought of writing a short story about a Beast with Dragonfire saving a Promethean from a some gangbangers. Also, Lairs tend to make great hideouts until the Wasteland burns off.

Mages and Sin-Eaters... I see less of a reason to team up, though Mother's Kiss can always be helpful in a sticky situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangaholic13 View Post
              Mages and Sin-Eaters... I see less of a reason to team up, though Mother's Kiss can always be helpful in a sticky situation.
              Mother's Kiss is a nice power up for Mages performing any rituals they want to perform that furthers their goals. That's a rather attractive boon to gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradim View Post
                Mother's Kiss is a nice power up for Mages performing any rituals they want to perform that furthers their goals. That's a rather attractive boon to gain.
                Particularly when you consider that a Beast already acts, in an admittedly unspecified way, as a Yantra a Mage could employ already.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                Work Blog Coming Soon
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                  The chances of Beasts teaming up with Hunters / Heroes of their own volition is highly unlikely, when you think about it. Hunters and Heroes typically want to kill their victims, where as Beasts typically wish to enlighten them.

Enlightenment is wasted upon the dead, so these two goals are mutually exclusive to one another. The only way I could see them working together is if they have been threatened with mutual destruction unless they call a truce and work together to resolve the situation. It's not too far fetched, as there are plenty of stories involving this exact scenario where the "heroes" and "villains" team up in order to confront a more dangerous adversary.

The goals of several compacts and conspiracies do not necessarily require the monster be killed. For example, the Null Mysteriis wants to study monsters. And the Ascending Ones are willing to talk monsters out of what they're doing or act as intermediaries between groups of monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    Particularly when you consider that a Beast already acts, in an admittedly unspecified way, as a Yantra a Mage could employ already.
                    If the Beast was well fed and had a Kinship Condition on the Mage, then that could result in a pretty amazing benefit to the Mage. Could potentially double their dice pool for using Supernal magic! O.O;

Comment

Originally posted by vernuf View Post

The goals of several compacts and conspiracies do not necessarily require the monster be killed. For example, the Null Mysteriis wants to study monsters. And the Ascending Ones are willing to talk monsters out of what they're doing or act as intermediaries between groups of monsters.

Come to think of it, what kind of goal would actually compel them to work together? Hunters and Heroes typically go after monsters, while Beasts typically go after humans. Considering how Beasts operate, I don't see them calling a truce for a monster who just happens to prey on mortals, nor would hunters be particularly invested in a human that just went around doing bad things.

Whoever their opponent is would have to be a mutual threat to both of them. Maybe a monster / mortal who's reckless behavior is getting dangerously close to igniting an open war between mortals and supernaturals.

Comment

Come to think of it, what kind of goal would actually compel them to work together? Hunters and Heroes typically go after monsters, while Beasts typically go after humans. Considering how Beasts operate, I don't see them calling a truce for a monster who just happens to prey on mortals, nor would hunters be particularly invested in a human that just went around doing bad things.

Whoever their opponent is would have to be a mutual threat to both of them. Maybe a monster / mortal who's reckless behavior is getting dangerously close to igniting an open war between mortals and supernaturals.
                        You can have a Beast with a Hunger for Prey who came to hunt other Supernatural creatures. Just because you're Kin, doesn't mean you get along after all. You could be associated with a Hunter that registers as Kin as well (the Lucifurge I think or something like that?) In this way, a Beast can get a pretty large feeding from hunting a dangerous target, especially if it results in a kill.

This could be a rather beneficial arrangement for the Hunter, since they have a strong ally, and it's feeding their ally at the same time as it's removing another monster so that the Beast doesn't need to feed on humans.

Comment

Excuse me, but what are the Slashers then? They are sterotypical 'immoral humans' that need to be teached the Lessons. And Hunter 2E is making Slashers it's central antagonists, so... So I think Slashers are perfect material for Beast-Hunter alliiance.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                          My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
                          MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

In order for a Beast to work with a Hunter you would need at least one of two conditions to be met.*
                            1)The Hunter is unaware that the Beast is one of the Beghotten.
                            2)The Beast is not seen as a present threat particularly when compared to the current target.

If the first case is met then the Hunter has no issues with the Beast, outside it not being a Hunter, so if the Beast can talk them into letting them come along then it's all fine. The biggest complication the Beast would have would be limitations on using its powers in case something like willing a lightning storm into existence causes a problem.

*Possibly more depending on the various compacts, but my lack of knowledge on Hunter prevents me from going into specifics. These feel the best in overall cases.

Comment

I would say that their lair is the biggest offer the beast can make to others. First of all it is beyond the reach of most antagonists the other splats face - with the exception of mages familiar with the astral space. In case someone does manage to enter the lair comes with a powerful guardian - the horror - and is filled with hostile environmental traits some of which can quickly kill an intruder, but don't affect guests. Furthermore it lacks any native enemies, unlike say the hedge or the shadow. The beasts lair is a fortress and access to it would be valuable to just about any other splat.

Comment

Working...
                              X