Family working together: Beasts with other Splats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Excuse me, but what are the Slashers then? They are sterotypical 'immoral humans' that need to be teached the Lessons. And Hunter 2E is making Slashers it's central antagonists, so... So I think Slashers are perfect material for Beast-Hunter alliiance.

Then we have some Freddy vs Jason material...

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Excuse me, but what are the Slashers then? They are sterotypical 'immoral humans' that need to be teached the Lessons. And Hunter 2E is making Slashers it's central antagonists, so... So I think Slashers are perfect material for Beast-Hunter alliiance.
      Slashers are explicitly Kin though.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
      My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
      Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

How do you think they see Prometheans goal of achieving humanity?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
          A shame, but if that's their thing...

Comment

The easy answer would be that they are against it, without the disquiet they probably see nothing wrong with the promethean as is. Then again, achieving the golden dawn is as much part of what a promethean is as feeding on fear is for the beast.

Comment

Probably view them as the angsty siblings who whine about how terrible their life is and that nobody understands their pain.
              Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-05-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Probably view them as the angsty siblings who whine about how terrible their life is and that nobody understands their pain.
                Yes.

This thread is building an image of a mixed game in my head: so far, the Beast is basically the group Mom (complete with solicitous demeanor, and optional Fargo accent), the Vampire is the Emo/Goth poseur, and the Promethean is the rebellious teen.

Well, a Chronicle or a Sit-com.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

It depends on the Beast, but I imagine it can be anything from sympathetic (sooo many drawbacks, after all) to envious ("Man, I wish I could do that, too") to derisive ("Why? You're fine the way you are!")
                  I imagine a number of Beasts wouldn't even give a good/bad marking on it, merely accepting it as "the thing they do"/"it is what it is". After all, they didn't chose their situation, and I can see a Beast both not understanding but also not questioning their desire to become human.

On the other hand, Beasts are probably similarly unbothered by Centimani, and might even get along better with them in some cases (e.g. some Predators), what with the themes of acceptance of being a monster and all. Just need to make it past the "Kill" stage.

In general, I can see Beasts ally with Prometheans for a time moreso than forming a long-term brood: especially Nemesis and Vigilante could get along well, and Leaders and Tyrants could potentially learn from each other. But at some Point, the Promethean will (need to) move on, and I can see a Beast being unwilling to leave their budding Legend behind. Add to this the fact that Prometheans are more likely to change their outlooks, modus operandi, goals, perspective etc. as they approach things in new ways to learn more, and you might even get to the point a Beast feels alienated or even betrayed by a Promethean cousin. After all, it is absolutely possible for a Promethean to go from "inspire the masses to stand up for themselves" to "criminal mook and dealer" or vice versa (e.g. in Pursuit of Gold, or Iron, and Cobalt). Or from reclusive hermit to adrenaline-junkie stuntman (Copper to Phosphorus). While this would be a case by case thing, it could totally go from "best buddies doing their thing" to "mortal enemies".

As this opened up another can: Who would a given Beast more likely join in your opinion: Pentacle or Seers? Pure or Forsaken? Why?

Regarding Non-Splats: How could a Beast get to be Friends with Ghosts or Spirits, and why would that be the case? What does either side get out of this Relationship?

Final Question: What is, in your opinion, the most "natural" Ally to a Beast (other than other Beasts)?
                  My Pick would be Uratha, thanks to the Pack-dynamic, that considers every part of the Pack important, and requires loyalty. This focus hits a bit on the themes of family, and the sense of mission the Uratha feel is something the Begotten are likely to be able to relate to. But Autumn Changelings also provide very nice thematic synergy with their focus on Fear, so they are a close second.

Comment

Considering that one of the Inheritance paths allows a Beast to actually become an ephemeral spirit, I would imagine they'd get along quite nicely with the spirit world in general. Although, since they're spirits of terror, I think they'd be more comfortable among the ranks of the Pure than they would the Forsaken.

As for their most likely ally, I would have to say Changeling. Not only are they both creatures derived from humanity's imagination, but they both place a great emphasis on community. Family in the case of Beasts, and Freeholds in the case of Changelings. Plus, there's an entire court that sustains itself on the emotion of fear. They can both enter peoples' dreams, and they can both travel between parallel realities.

Really, the only major difference between Beasts and Changelings is that Beasts are hyper specialized, where as Changelings are a more diversified lot.

Comment

Really, the only major difference between Beasts and Changelings is that Beasts are hyper specialized, where as Changelings are a more diversified lot.
                      And that Beasts can be seen as True Fae - or they servants - to some changelings...

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                      My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
                      MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Considering that one of the Inheritance paths allows a Beast to actually become an ephemeral spirit, I would imagine they'd get along quite nicely with the spirit world in general. Although, since they're spirits of terror, I think they'd be more comfortable among the ranks of the Pure than they would the Forsaken.
                        Even the Forsaken inflict and utilize fear and terror in the hunt. It would be pretty cool to have a pack who turned an inherited beast like this into their totem.

Comment

The fact that Beasts feed by abusing people and Changelings are a walking metaphor for abuse/trauma survivors has some relevence here.

Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                            The fact that Beasts feed by abusing people and Changelings are a walking metaphor for abuse/trauma survivors has some relevence here.

Changelings can also feed by abusing other people by way of manipulating their emotions. You've got a court that feeds on fear, same as the Beasts. A court that feeds on wrath, inspiring mortals to acts of violence. And a court that feeds on sorrow, inflicting mortals with despair and doubt. The only one that's relatively harmless is the spring court, who feeds on desire. And even then, that could be construed as enabling somebody's addictions.
                            Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-06-2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Changelings can also feed by abusing other people by way of manipulating their emotions. You've got a court that feeds on fear, same as the Beasts. A court that feeds on wrath, inspiring mortals to acts of violence. And a court that feeds on sorrow, inflicting mortals with despair and doubt. The only one that's relatively harmless is the spring court, who feeds on desire. And even then, that could be construed as enabling somebody's addictions.
                              Indeed. However, Changelings can and often do also feed without that. A gardnener in a graveyard will meet his fair share of Sorrow without having to inflict additional one, barkeepers will probably have regular access to all kinds of emotions (sportsbar --> lot of anger going around) etc. Those who do cause emotions to harvest Glamour may have to face accusations (by others or themselves) of behaving cruely or even reminiscent of Keepers.

Comment

The cycle of abuse is sadly something that exists, and Changelings are not exempt from it's claws. However three things must be kept in mind
                                1. While Changelings can use abuser tactics to harvest glamour (or for other reasons) unlike Beasts they have a rich selection of alternative more gentle methods as well.
                                2. Just because some Changelings resemble become uncomfortably close to their captors does not mean this behaviour is considered acceptable by wider Changeling society.
                                3. People, and Changelings, are often hypocrites. They could easily make all sorts of excuses for a fellow Changeling or themselves while going full wild hunt on any other monster to show even a hint of True Fae like behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                                X