No announcement yet.

A New Hunger Has Been Revealed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regardless of intent or motivation, a character who exists to ruin people by outing them - even if those people are monstrous! - is awful and offfensive.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
      I could have chosen a better example than closest homosexuals. I just couldn't think of one at the time, so I wrote the first one that came to my head. Thinking about it now, my original post could have made its point just as clearly as if I simply used the term 'hypocrites', instead of giving a specific example. If you'd like me to edit my post to something like that, I'd be happy to do so, before this explodes into something entirely unnecessary.
      No. The fact that you said,
      To be honest, I actually expected a reaction kind of like this, when I proposed the character idea.
      Clearly indicates that you were fully aware this example would likely result in empassioned responses, but chose to use that example anyway, which makes the example a violation of rule 2.

Even if I did apologize, it wouldn't be sincere. Basically, this is the same scenario as somebody who apologizes once they've been found guilty of a crime. They're not sorry they did something wrong, they're sorry they got caught.

But I want to clarify that I don't see my post as being wrong, which is why the apology would be insincere.
      Not that an apology would have made this any less of a rules violation, but this clearly indicates that you are not going to learn anything from an infraction. Usually, when the mods suspect disciplinary action won't lead to a change in behavior, we issue a permanent ban. I'm going to give you this chance, however, to drop this subject now. I don't care if you think you did anything wrong in bringing up the concept or not, but bring it up again and you're done.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Not that an apology would have made this any less of a rules violation, but this clearly indicates that you are not going to learn anything from an infraction. Usually, when the mods suspect disciplinary action won't lead to a change in behavior, we issue a permanent ban. I'm going to give you this chance, however, to drop this subject now. I don't care if you think you did anything wrong in bringing up the concept or not, but bring it up again and you're done.

Fine, subject dropped. Didn't mean for it to get this out of hand, anyways.

Comment

To change the subject somewhat, what kinds of Horrors would people expect from the new Hungers? Transgression lends itself well to tempters (succubi, sirens and so on), of course, but what shapes would a fear of the Other take? Would there be lots of 'uncanny valley' situations, with beings that are almost human but not quite? Like, for example, the AI from Ex Machina and such?

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
            Transgression lends itself well to tempters (succubi, sirens and so on), of course, but what shapes would a fear of the Other take? Would there be lots of 'uncanny valley' situations, with beings that are almost human but not quite? Like, for example, the AI from Ex Machina and such?
            The Other nicely can come up with Lovecraftian 'Innsmouth look', etc.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
            My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
            MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Dopplegangers seem like a good fear of others. Really peeve off the Unchained too if they had a power that let them appear to be others.

Comment

To change the subject somewhat, what kinds of Horrors would people expect from the new Hungers? Transgression lends itself well to tempters (succubi, sirens and so on), of course, but what shapes would a fear of the Other take? Would there be lots of 'uncanny valley' situations, with beings that are almost human but not quite? Like, for example, the AI from Ex Machina and such?
                I should point out that Fear of the Other is one of the new Families, the other of which is Fear of Confinement. The second new Hunger is the Hunger for Secrets.

Both axes have their influence on the Horror's form, of course, but the particulars are different for "what it eats" versus "what it is."

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                  I should point out that Fear of the Other is one of the new Families, the other of which is Fear of Confinement. The second new Hunger is the Hunger for Secrets.

Both axes have their influence on the Horror's form, of course, but the particulars are different for "what it eats" versus "what it is."
                  Oh. Whoops. I think I got confused there. Apologies.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

How about Body Snatchers, almost-humanlike animals, slenderman and other similar uncanny valley people? Basically most of what Horror movies developed during the Red Scare is probably a valid inspiration, as a lot of it was coloured by that Fear of the Other.

While you could probably tackle tons of racism or ideology stuff with the Inguma, and I can see them take any side of that particular 'debate', I think the Other doesn't even have to be an outright monster (Deep One Hybrids for example) or somehow different, but rather be 'off' in a significant way. Like Hannibal and similar criminals are to us. But also any situation where sharing space with a stranger is uncomfortable, but dialed up to eleven, basically.

Lessons aplenty, from forcing people to broaden their horizon (not a nice thing to do at all) to making people question their own customs, all through to reinforcing existing customs and narrowing their horizon ("Don't talk to strangers" is a valid lesson. An Inguma Collector could easily come to the conclusion that teaching this is important, and that kidnapping people is a valid way of teaching it).

Comment

Inguma will be great for all the Islamo- and Homophobic tension in Center and Western Europe - just saying as man living in Poland...

I will also use Inguma extensively in Conquest of Paradise fan Dark Era - as people of future Spain and Portugal were very terrified of Muslims and Jews in their ranks. Original Spanish Inquisition was looking for Jews in first place, general heretics as second.
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-13-2017, 07:53 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                      My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
                      MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                        Yeah, not sure how much I love the idea of a Beast whose entire character concept is stigmatizing homosexuality.
                        It sounds like an ideal antagonist to me. I wouldn't want to play him, but I if he showed up as an antagonist I think it could easily be an enemy I'd love to hate.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                        My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                        Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

To change the subject somewhat, what kinds of Horrors would people expect from the new Hungers? ... what shapes would a fear of the Other take? Would there be lots of 'uncanny valley' situations, with beings that are almost human but not quite? Like, for example, the AI from Ex Machina and such?
                          The earlier idea of appearing as multiple copies of yourself might work for a Horror form rather than an Atavism or Nightmare - manage to manifest your Lair and you surround everyone.

Which reminds me, is the Player's Guide coming with new Lair Traits as well?

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                            The earlier idea of appearing as multiple copies of yourself might work for a Horror form rather than an Atavism or Nightmare - manage to manifest your Lair and you surround everyone.

Which reminds me, is the Player's Guide coming with new Lair Traits as well?

I think I proposed a Beast in the Concept thread whose body is made up of tiny, compacted mirrors that reflects the image of whoever is looking at them. They pretended to be the victim's guilty conscience by tormenting people in their dreams with memories of their misdeeds. I don't remember what family they were (Namtaru, or Eshmaki, probably), but now it sounds like there's one just perfect for them!

Comment

Hmm... thinking more. Is there going to be a Fear of Infection Family? Because there's some nasty things you could do with that, like Nazism themed antagonists.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                              My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                              Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                                Hmm... thinking more. Is there going to be a Fear of Infection Family? Because there's some nasty things you could do with that, like Nazism themed antagonists.
                                Don’t existing Atavisms already pretty strongly tie that as an aspect of the Gorgons?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                                X