X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicolas Milioni
    started a topic A New Hunger Has Been Revealed

A New Hunger Has Been Revealed

See This guy ? He's a new beast who was previewed on the Monday Meeting notes of 10/11/2017. And in the image URL it's stated that image represents "The Hunger for Transgression"
    Interesting enough this guy is feeding his hunger by... feeding his hunger. By eating too much bacon he's trangressing the rules of society and the church and in this way he feeds his beastly hunger,that's clever!

• ajf115
    replied
    Originally posted by SoulGambit View Post
    Will we finally get merits and things to populate Lairs with minions and props? Can there be a Lair Trait where inanimate objects in your Lair gain sentience like the Beast's Castle in Beauty and the Beast?
    Well, you can already represent that in part with Lair Traits - hell, you could make up a specific one like 'Animate' or something - but that would be nice to have as something with a little more distinctiveness to it.

Leave a comment:

• SoulGambit
    replied
    Will we finally get merits and things to populate Lairs with minions and props? Can there be a Lair Trait where inanimate objects in your Lair gain sentience like the Beast's Castle in Beauty and the Beast?

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by Haberdasher View Post

At this point, I think we could really benefit from a Dual Hungers Merit. I think it could give a lot of wiggle room for character concepts: a Beast like the one you described above could be an Enabler/Nemesis, tempting people to break their taboos and then humiliating them as punishment, or a Beast with the Hungers of Transgressions/Ruin, who loves watching people ruin their reputations by giving in to their darkest, most shameful desires.
    I dearly wish we can get a Dual Hunger Merit in the Player's Guide, since it would enable many character concepts. In the meanwhile, here's my own proposal:

Broad Palate (•••)
    Prerequisite: Beast, Composure 3, Resolve 3
    Effect: This Merit gives your character a second Hunger, an alternate method of gaining Satiety.
    Drawback: The Horror's expanded palate makes it gluttonous. Add +1 to the character's threshold for Low Satiety for the purpose of Inflicting Nightmares (i.e. the character's Horror goes wandering for sustenance at Satiety 4 or lower). Additionally, the character adds +1 to the threshold for High Satiety for the purpose of gaining and resolving Satiety Conditions (i.e. the character must reach Satiety 8 to resolve the Sated Condition and gain the Gorged Condition).

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Well, you can grapple things with Monster from the Deep, but it severly eats away at your Satiety.
    So yeah, something that helps constricting and stuff would be fun.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Actually, Monster from the Deep is a straight up attack. You slam the target with a tentacle, or similar appendage.
    On second thoughts, you're actually right. Monster from the Deep is a tentacle-based damaging Atavism, so there is plenty of room for a tentacle-based entrapping Atavism tied to the Fear of Confinement. Of course, it might be tentacles, multiple limbs, constricting spires.

Leave a comment:

• The Kings Raven
    replied
    Webbing feels straight forward to me.

Normal: Roll Dexterity + Firearms vs Dexterity + Athletics, on a success you apply the immobilized tilt, characters may try to break free like normal. The Durability of your webbing is equal to Lair.

Low Satiety: Anyone caught may make at most Stamina attempts to escape, after that they're physically tired, paralysed by venom, psychically compelled to give in. Whatever fits your charachter.

Satiety Expenditure: You make a medium burst as per the autofire rules.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by Irioth View Post

As it concerns Atavisms tied to Fear of Confinement, I suppose web-slinging or spitting sticky goo would be an excellent fit, and in a reverse way so would the ability to become extremely flexible and if wished constrict a victim. Another good fit in this regard would be manifesting entrapping tentacles or multiple limbs, but Monster from the Deep already covers this to a good degree, so I'm not sure how to deal with the overlap issue. A third good idea would be a paralyzing gaze.

Actually, Monster from the Deep is a straight up attack. You slam the target with a tentacle, or similar appendage.

I've actually wanted a web / goo based Atavism for a while now. Tried to home brew it twice, but couldn't think of proper mechanics for it.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-14-2017, 09:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Fortunately the human doesn't have to have any physical similarities to the Horror.
    Sorry, I meant a Gorgon Gorgon, not a Namtaru.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
    Sometime, I will play a Gorgon and rationalise this as the curse wearing off.
    Fortunately the human doesn't have to have any physical similarities to the Horror. Medusa could easily make herself at home in the soul of a handsome man. And the Primordial Dream aspect allows you to have both an ancient and horrifying Gorgon as well as the new wave pretty and only incidentally harmful one in the same setting.

I'd guess that somewhere in the Player's Guide would be Merits to allow some aspect of the Horror to shine through your physical aspect, though. If not it seems like something easy to do, you could crib a little from Changeling.
    Last edited by nofather; 10-13-2017, 06:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    As Atavisms tied to the new Families go, I tend to assume the ones tied to Fear of the Other might be related to impersonation and shapeshifting. It is an area corebook Atavisms were sorely deficient in (apart from Siren's Treacherous Song allowing voice imitation) despite being a typical 'physical' power of certain mythic monsters. Such powers would have a solid thematic and mystical tie with the infiltration and social contamination paranoia Fear of the Other often expresses. Another possible expression might be charming and seduction, but Alien Allure and Siren's Song already deal with this to a good degree. I'm not sure how 'physical' powers such as Atavisms that are supposed to express bodily features of the Horror (if under a flexible dream logic) might otherwise express the supernatural aspects of social paranoia, other possible expressions of the concept seem best dealt with by Nightmares.

As it concerns Atavisms tied to Fear of Confinement, I suppose web-slinging or spitting sticky goo would be an excellent fit, and in a reverse way so would the ability to become extremely flexible and if wished constrict a victim. Another good fit in this regard would be manifesting entrapping tentacles or multiple limbs, but Monster from the Deep already covers this to a good degree, so I'm not sure how to deal with the overlap issue. A third good idea would be a paralyzing gaze.
    Last edited by Irioth; 10-14-2017, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Well, the original Gorgon turned people to stone because they were unspeakably hideous. But over time, the myth has changed to making this an activated power, with the Gorgon's eyes starting to glow as they emit death rays.
    Likewise, the reflection thing was originally Perseus tracking Medusa by her reflection in his bronze shield because it would have been just a blur - enough to tell where she was, but not enough to discern her appearance.

As long as the modern Gorgon isn't actively trying to petrify you, it's fine for you to look at them. And they're usually more attractive than the myths describe them as.
    Sometime, I will play a Gorgon and rationalise this as the curse wearing off.

Leave a comment:

• MCN
    replied
    Go back far enough, and Medusa is a cthonic sea goddess who heals people, and was later demonized. So, originally, the Gorgons aren't even gorgons, but closer to Sirens! There's a lot of wiggle room in the Families. I don't put much faith in certain critters = certain Families. It is true that families have specific birthrights only they have, and without other Beasts, can only learn the four affinity Atavisms. So, I really focus on those five things for families, to get a feel of them.

But Hungers? Ehh.... Considering that you are supposed to personalize all the existing Hungers for your PC anyways, and there's no real mechanic tied to a Hunger... its not really that hard to just ignore the split of different kinds of Hunger in the first place, and just personalize the idea you want to hunt in the first place. So, new hunger idea leaves me bleh.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
    I have always found that to be a weird interpretation of the Gorgons. I feel like Alluring is more Makara. Gorgons should not be pretty, or popular, imo. Famous, sure, succesful and envied, no problem. But not 'popular' as in 'adored, has fans, is admired as a person', But then, that's just me, I guess.

The fear of becoming 'infected' (e.g. the aforementioned 'fallen woman') is different from disgust. So I can definitly see potential there.
    For now, I am more curious about that Hunger for Secrets, which sounds like THE go-to Hunger for the stereotypical Ugallu for me so far.

Well, the original Gorgon turned people to stone because they were unspeakably hideous. But over time, the myth has changed to making this an activated power, with the Gorgon's eyes starting to glow as they emit death rays.

As long as the modern Gorgon isn't actively trying to petrify you, it's fine for you to look at them. And they're usually more attractive than the myths describe them as.

Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-13-2017, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
    @SunlessNick: it doesn't have to remain secret, but exposing it can be more sating depending on the Beast. Some Whispers never reveal a secret beyond themselves and their victims, whether to mitigate harm...or to store up leverage.
    Thanks for the extra data.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X