Gateway Lair Traits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway Lair Traits

For my own reference and hopefully others', I've decided to compile a list of 'gateway' Lair Traits, the ones that are fairly easy to re-create by mundane means or Beast powers in order to impose the others on a location or open a pathway, regardless of the location's original features. Don't waste time and effort searching for locations resonant with your Lair, create them. Especially useful for nomadic Beasts and Broods or when a character or group is away from any known location that was used to create or strongly resembles any of their Chambers.
    Blazing Light: fireworks or portable spotlight
    Blizzard: Storm-Lashed
    Burning: fires, Dragonbreath
    Crosswinds: Storm-Lashed
    Crushing: Caught in the Webs, Crushing Coils, or Vengeful Earth (Satiety expenditure)
    Darkness: cut off power, break lights, Death of Light
    Diseased: Plague Bearer
    Engulfing: Caught in the Webs, Crushing Coils, or Vengeful Earth (Satiety expenditure)
    Extreme Cold: Storm-Lashed
    Extreme Heat: fires, Dragonbreath
    Downpour: sprinklers, Storm-Lashed
    Earthquake: Vengeful Earth (low Satiety)
    Electrified: ripped power cables, Storm-Lashed
    Exposed: Weakness Exposed
    Fog: fires or smoke bombs
    Hurricane: Storm-Lashed
    Infected: Plague Bearer
    Isolated: You Are Alone
    Jagged: rubble from Cyclopean Strength or Titanic Blow
    Murmurs: sound effects, Siren's Treacherous Song
    No Exits: Illusion of Safety (low Satiety)
    Poor Light: cut off power, break lights, Death of Light
    Razored: broken glass or pieces of barbwire
    Slick: oil or other lubricants
    Stench: stink bombs or tear gas
    Stinging: pepper spray or tear gas, Infestation or Bugs Everywhere
    Swarm: vial of fruit flies, Infestation or Bugs Everywhere
    Thunderous: loud music or fireworks, Siren’s Treacherous Song or Storm-Lashed
    Toxic: Basilisk's Touch
    Unstable: bag of marbles, Titanic Blow (Satiety expenditure) or Vengeful Earth

Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Last edited by Irioth; 05-03-2018, 05:50 PM.

The 'Blazing Light' trait is easy enough to make if you use a bright enough flashlight or lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Solaris View Post
      The 'Blazing Light' trait is easy enough to make if you use a bright enough flashlight or lamp.
      Excellent idea, how could I have missed this.

Comment

Siren's Treacherous Song can be used to trigger a chain off Thunderous

Comment

Originally posted by Solaris View Post

I'd say you need full-on floodlights for that.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

sorry, double post

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

I'd say you need full-on floodlights for that.
              You may have a point, and of course stadium floodlights would often be far too bulky and fixed for a traveling Beast or Brood. The point of the exercise is to pick the Lair Traits a character would be able to activate anywhere with equipment carried in a backpack at most. I wonder if portable floodlights exist with LED technology.
              Last edited by Irioth; 11-01-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
                Yep, this is a good one. It spares even the need to carry a boombox or such around.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
                  Storm-Lashed as well, I'd say. The wind could set it off if it's strong enough. But also any lightning strikes all be accompanied with thunder.

Comment

Well the right fireworks would probably be able to set off a number of lair conditions though you'd need to time it for stuff like blinding light and thunderous since those will only have a few seconds at while they'd be active whereas an ensuing fire will probably last a bit longer. You'd only need to carry one or two depending on the strength of the fireworks involved.

Comment

I've updated the OP list according to input.

Originally posted by Paradim View Post

Storm-Lashed as well, I'd say. The wind could set it off if it's strong enough. But also any lightning strikes all be accompanied with thunder.
                      Another good idea.

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                      Well the right fireworks would probably be able to set off a number of lair conditions though you'd need to time it for stuff like blinding light and thunderous since those will only have a few seconds at while they'd be active whereas an ensuing fire will probably last a bit longer. You'd only need to carry one or two depending on the strength of the fireworks involved.
                      Yep, fireworks seem a a feasible way of triggering Blinding Light or Thunderous although as you say one would need to time them. Extreme Heat or Burning can be set by starting fires through various possible means. I'm uncertain if there is any portable lighting equipment that may qualify for Blazing Light so I'd say this would be a ST's call.
                      Last edited by Irioth; 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

You may have a point, and of course stadium floodlights would often be far too bulky and fixed for a traveling Beast or Brood. The point of the exercise is to pick the Lair Traits a character would be able to activate anywhere with equipment carried in a backpack at most. I wonder if portable floodlights exist with LED technology.
                        They do! One of my beasts uses a spotlight. Limited uses before the battery dies, and it's pretty obvious, but still a thing.

Comment

I'm told fire extinguishers are pretty cold if you get hit with the spray directly, so would going into the spray qualify for the freezing cold trait?

Swarns: I actually did have to carry a few vials of bugs around one time in high school. (Genetics class we had to take notes on how many died each hour from alchohol poisoning.) Later project revealed two or three of those vials could store up a lovely little cloud of fruit flies.

Razored: Take apart the barbs on a barbwire fence and you have some lovely improvised caltrops.

Would a large bag of marbles qualify for the unstable condition? I mean depending on the enviorment of course.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                            I'm told fire extinguishers are pretty cold if you get hit with the spray directly, so would going into the spray qualify for the freezing cold trait?
                            I'm uncertain about this.

Swarns: I actually did have to carry a few vials of bugs around one time in high school. (Genetics class we had to take notes on how many died each hour from alchohol poisoning.) Later project revealed two or three of those vials could store up a lovely little cloud of fruit flies.
                            It seems a lovely idea on paper but I wonder how much effort it is going to require for a Beast or Brood to make themselves supplied with a few vials of fruit flies at all times. Edit: it seems pet shops sell them, so little effort at all.

Razored: Take apart the barbs on a barbwire fence and you have some lovely improvised caltrops.
                            Outside of certain rural environments barbwire fences aren't that common. In urban environments it would often be simpler just to smash some glass and throw its broken pieces around. But I guess characters might keep themselves supplied with some barbwire they have cut or torn apart with their Strength-boosting Atavisms and throw it around to make improvised caltrops.

Would a large bag of marbles qualify for the unstable condition? I mean depending on the enviorment of course.
                            I think it would, although as you point out, it would only work in certain environments.
                            Last edited by Irioth; 11-02-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

Outside of certain rural environments barbwire fences aren't that common. In urban environments it would often be simpler just to smash some glass and throw its broken pieces around. But I guess characters might keep themselves supplied with some barbwire they have cut or torn apart with their Strength-boosting Atavisms and throw it around to make improvised caltrops.
                              $80 bucks US will buy 1320 feet of barbed wire. So I mean probably not have it shipped to your place, but not impossible to get in less rural areas.

Not that raiding a recycle bin and some trash cans for a few discarded bottles wouldn't work and be fairly cheap too.
                              Last edited by nalak42; 11-03-2017, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X