X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irioth
    started a topic Gateway Lair Traits

Gateway Lair Traits

For my own reference and hopefully others', I've decided to compile a list of 'gateway' Lair Traits, the ones that are fairly easy to re-create by mundane means or Beast powers in order to impose the others on a location or open a pathway, regardless of the location's original features. Don't waste time and effort searching for locations resonant with your Lair, create them. Especially useful for nomadic Beasts and Broods or when a character or group is away from any known location that was used to create or strongly resembles any of their Chambers.
    Blazing Light: fireworks or portable spotlight
    Blizzard: Storm-Lashed
    Burning: fires, Dragonbreath
    Crosswinds: Storm-Lashed
    Crushing: Caught in the Webs, Crushing Coils, or Vengeful Earth (Satiety expenditure)
    Darkness: cut off power, break lights, Death of Light
    Diseased: Plague Bearer
    Engulfing: Caught in the Webs, Crushing Coils, or Vengeful Earth (Satiety expenditure)
    Extreme Cold: Storm-Lashed
    Extreme Heat: fires, Dragonbreath
    Downpour: sprinklers, Storm-Lashed
    Earthquake: Vengeful Earth (low Satiety)
    Electrified: ripped power cables, Storm-Lashed
    Exposed: Weakness Exposed
    Fog: fires or smoke bombs
    Hurricane: Storm-Lashed
    Infected: Plague Bearer
    Isolated: You Are Alone
    Jagged: rubble from Cyclopean Strength or Titanic Blow
    Murmurs: sound effects, Siren's Treacherous Song
    No Exits: Illusion of Safety (low Satiety)
    Poor Light: cut off power, break lights, Death of Light
    Razored: broken glass or pieces of barbwire
    Slick: oil or other lubricants
    Stench: stink bombs or tear gas
    Stinging: pepper spray or tear gas, Infestation or Bugs Everywhere
    Swarm: vial of fruit flies, Infestation or Bugs Everywhere
    Thunderous: loud music or fireworks, Siren’s Treacherous Song or Storm-Lashed
    Toxic: Basilisk's Touch
    Unstable: bag of marbles, Titanic Blow (Satiety expenditure) or Vengeful Earth

Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Last edited by Irioth; 05-03-2018, 05:50 PM.

• Irioth
    replied
    For the sake of completeness and reference, I've added the recently discussed ideas and relevant BPG Atavisms to the OP list.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
    Infected is the minor version of Diseased imho, introduced as one of the new Lair Traits in the Player's Guide.
    Yeah, I'd forgotten the BPG adds a few extra Lair Traits as well, sorry. You are totally spot-on about Infected. As it concerns the other new Traits, You Are Alone seems a natural trigger for Isolated. The right kind of sound effects being recorded and then played out at high volume or imitated with Siren's Treacherous Song may trigger Murmurs. No idea about how to trigger the other Traits, if any.

Good points, totally lost sight of the Earthquake Lair Trait. Could Titanic Blow on Satiety Expenditure also trigger that?
    IMO, definitely yes. As you said, damage to nearby props may even trigger Jagged or Razored, although it depends on the right kind of stuff being around in the first place.
    Last edited by Irioth; 04-29-2018, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Originally posted by Irioth View Post
    The Low Satiety version of Illusion of Safety can trigger Sealed Exits.
    Plague Bearer is custom-fitted to trigger Diseased (I'm not aware of any minor version of this Trait).
    Right, Sealed Exits, not No Exit was the name.
    Infected is the minor version of Diseased imho, introduced as one of the new Lair Traits in the Player's Guide.
    Good points, totally lost sight of the Earthquake Lair Trait. Could Titanic Blow on Satiety Expenditure also trigger that?

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
    The new Atavisms in BPG gave us a number of options for inflicting Traits, so it seems an appropriate time to revisit the thread.
    Indeed. In addition to and to build up on the ideas provided by Anteros and Wormwood (thanks to both), I'd say:
    Caught in the Webs and Crushing Coils can trigger Crushing and Engulfing.
    Death of Light is indeed custom-fitted to trigger Poor Light and Darkness.
    The Low Satiety version of Illusion of Safety can trigger Sealed Exits.
    Plague Bearer is custom-fitted to trigger Diseased (I'm not aware of any minor version of this Trait).
    Vengeful Earth can trigger Unstable, its Low Satiety version is explictly told to cause Earthquake, and its Satiety Expenditure version can trigger Crushing and Engulfing.
    Weakness Exposed can trigger Exposed (certainly the Satiety Expenditure version, potentially even the normal one).
    Last edited by Irioth; 04-29-2018, 05:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Plague Bearer can trigger diseased and the minor Version.
    Storm-lashed can trigger Electrified, perhaps blizzard, downpour or hurricane.
    Titanic blow could certainly trigger jagged, razoured or unstable.
    Vengeful earth could potentially trigger crushing or engulfing?
    Illusion of Safety could trigger No Exit at Low Satiety.

Leave a comment:

• Anteros
    replied
    Death of Light could trigger Poor Light and Darkness.

Leave a comment:

• HelmsDerp
    replied
    The new Atavisms in BPG gave us a number of options for inflicting Traits, so it seems an appropriate time to revisit the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Sorry to Necro, but Would dragging someone highup into the air with Wings of the Raptor be enough to Trigger Exposed?
    Probably. Especially if there is inclement weather.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Sorry to Necro, but Would dragging someone highup into the air with Wings of the Raptor be enough to Trigger Exposed?

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
    You'd probably need to check with your ST on how extreme it needs to be to qualify as resonant with a lair trait, I mean a broken bottle in a parking lot is probably not going to qualify for jagged.
    Probably not. On the other hand, an handful broken bottles or a broken glass window in a room would in all likelihood qualify for Jagged or Razored, and for the former so would qualify overturned and broken furniture.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    You'd probably need to check with your ST on how extreme it needs to be to qualify as resonant with a lair trait, I mean a broken bottle in a parking lot is probably not going to qualify for jagged.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by ArchonAres View Post
    Preparing a few areas for lair similarity is ideal, but being able to create similarity of at least some sort on the fly is a good deal. I think that a sufficient amount of broken things scattered over an area could easily simulate razored, but I'd rule that you need to spend your action spreading them before it was enough.

I'm now imagining a beast who uses a Sunforce spotlight with a disco ball.
    An action spent creating similarity with a Lair Trait with your gear or powers seems appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
    Not to rain on any parades, but.. I dunno, would those work?

It has to mechanically match the environmental tilt, AND be an AoE or it wouldn't even qualify as an environmental tilt. I don't thing jars of bugs, especially fruitflies, would qualify. Some lair traits look easy from the name, but turn out a bit harder to get a full on Environmental Tilt out of.
    Well, RAW indicates sprinklers would suffice to activate Downpour, so by analogy some serious leeway in intensity is usually allowed between the Lair Trait and its equivalent environmental condition.

Leave a comment:

• ArchonAres
    replied
    Preparing a few areas for lair similarity is ideal, but being able to create similarity of at least some sort on the fly is a good deal. I think that a sufficient amount of broken things scattered over an area could easily simulate razored, but I'd rule that you need to spend your action spreading them before it was enough.

I'm now imagining a beast who uses a Sunforce spotlight with a disco ball.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X