Beast Player's Guide?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beast Player's Guide?

So i looked around online for a projected release date, but i haven't found anything definitive. Is this thing coming anytime before the next ice age? I check every single day for over a year now, eagerly waiting for this book, but every day I am sad and disappointed. Is this book just on the backburner permanently because it's Beast and nobody cares about Beast? And yes, i saw the image for one of the new Hungers last month, but this book has been in the works for a loooong time and i'm wondering what's up. Usually this far into development, we start seeing more about a book's impending release, and Beast desperately needs more content and stuff to fill in some blanks mechanics and setting-wise.
    Last edited by Eternal Darkness; 11-26-2017, 09:14 PM. Reason: Grammar and forgot something

It actually just moved into layout in the last couple of weeks, which means the pdf is being assembled. It was stuck in art direction for quite awhile. After layout, it'll be proofed and corrected, and then sent to White Wolf for approval, and then off to DTRPG. Onyx Path doesn't do projected released dates, but it's at a point where it's sooner rather than later. Some books just take longer than others; that's just the nature of the beast (pun intended).

I'm looking forward to it coming out myself, as I think it really opens up the game!

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
      It actually just moved into layout in the last couple of weeks, which means the pdf is being assembled. It was stuck in art direction for quite awhile. After layout, it'll be proofed and corrected, and then sent to White Wolf for approval, and then off to DTRPG. Onyx Path doesn't do projected released dates, but it's at a point where it's sooner rather than later. Some books just take longer than others; that's just the nature of the beast (pun intended).

I'm looking forward to it coming out myself, as I think it really opens up the game!

Thanks for the update. i am so incredibly psyched for this book, you have no idea. Beast is my all-time favorite WoD game, even eclipsing my previous love, Mage. I can't wait to get my hands on the PG.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

As a matter of fact, according to Monday Meeting News blog, it should have moved into layout a couple of months ago, at the end of September. Assuming this is correct, I seem to remember Richt recently stating about some supplement or another I assume should be roughly similar to BPG in size and complexity that eight weeks should be about usual time for the book to clear layout if there are no special problems. So I'm hopeful it can happen soon.

I kinda share Eternal Darkness' feelings, although for me Beast and Mage are in a tie for by far most preferred CotD game. So the supplements in the OPP pipeline I'm especially impatient to get are BPG and Signs of Sorcery, which I had equally big expectations about. But I've lost almost all hope of ever seeing SoS leaving development hell.
        Last edited by Irioth; 11-27-2017, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Development cycles like this make me wish I could just pay a monthly fee or something to access dev drafts of works in progress.

Comment

While I don't really want to derail the thread to get into the details of it, there's been some unrelated to development issues with Matt. Regardless of one's views on that, it has to have at a minimum caused some issues with anything he's working on with Beast (assuming he hasn't passed them on to someone else anyway, which delays things in their own ways).

----------

This is actually a reason why I'm glad we don't see too much of the sausages being made. CtL 2e is suffering a lot from David Hill being very open in his development process getting people very excited for it, then he and Onyx Path parted ways less then amicably, and now the actual CtL 2e went in a different (though not bad) direction from what Hill was going to do, so there's a damper on excitement because people liked Hill's work even if Rose and Megann's work is looking pretty good if different.

I think paying to see development progress would be really bad, because lots of things happen in development. Good ideas don't work out. People leave projects. Etc. Paying to watch would give a lot of people the idea that they have a say in that process.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              While I don't really want to derail the thread to get into the details of it, there's been some unrelated to development issues with Matt. Regardless of one's views on that, it has to have at a minimum caused some issues with anything he's working on with Beast (assuming he hasn't passed them on to someone else anyway, which delays things in their own ways).
              Hmm, IIUC the shitstorm that engulfed Matt emerged in late Summer/early Fall when BPG had already reached layout stage or at the very least art stage. I would guess you don't need much of an active developer at that late point, and so the book was mostly safe from scattershot coming from that mess. At the worst I'd expect they may need someone else to do the proofing, but we're not at that point yet. Now, things may get worse for any other Beast book in the pipeline, but I'm not mindful of any confirmed at this point.

Comment

I mean this thing has spent months in art direction, as far as I know the draft itself should basically be done, no? It first moved into the art phases roughly a year ago, didn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                  I mean this thing has spent months in art direction, as far as I know the draft itself should basically be done, no? It first moved into the art phases roughly a year ago, didn't it?
                  It moved into art phases in July, 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    It moved into art phases in July, 2017.
                    Gotcha. The waiting just makes it seem like it's taking forever, then.

I remember having an active BtP chronicle around December of last year that we ended up shelving for a bit because we figured the Player's Guide would be coming relatively soon (we figured maybe March or so). We'd hoped it had more information on playing through some of the Inheritances, which we were rapidly approaching at the time.

I thought we made that timeline guesstimate because it had moved into art, but I guess we were just blindly optimistic.

Comment

Let's just say that months ago I had the certainty that I could order a Print On Demand of the Player's Guide as a birthday gift for myself, but that's on the 18th and I don't think chances are on my side. My bad for making an estimation, I guess.

Oh well, won't lie and say that I'd really like to have the book in some shape already and that I feel this took longer than usual, but we'll get it when it's done and I'm sure it's gonna be awesome.

The previews were great and so was the art: gonna buy it the moment it drops in
                      Last edited by Cinder; 11-28-2017, 08:26 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                      Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

Art direction and Layout are two different phases. Layout can be a bottle-neck in the OPP production line, and take a little longer than some other phases. I’m confident BPG is moving through the process, and hope that it makes it out soon. (It still needs things like WW approval before being published, of course.)

Trust me, we want you folks to see what’s in there as much as you want to see it. (Plus, publication means getting paid, which is nice, if you like that sort of thing!)

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
                        WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades
                        The Trinity Continuum | Æon

Comment

Good things are worth doing right, and BPG will deliver given the time it needs.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                          Work Blog Coming Soon
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

I would have hoped for it sooner as well, but it can only be getting closer. Can't wait for the new options and materials.

Comment

Well, by now BPG has spent as much time in layout as it did in art direction. Let's hope it can clear this stage very soon as well. Once I dearly hoped I could spend part of the holidays reading this book, but it grows increasingly unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                              X