Christmas Bonus: Klaus & Krampus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Bonus: Klaus & Krampus

This was an idea I had yesterday and I had to fit it between work, family and obligations, so it might not be top notch and need some refining, but I really wanted to get it out in time for today. Forgive me if it needs some polishing, but time was not on my side. It's my little, silly way to wish happy holidays to the forums. An extra, outside all my plans and open threads. Since there are plenty of gamelines I'm able to do passable work with but I made writing enough Beast material to annoy everyone my resolution for the New Year, it seemed appropriate to do it this way.

It also is not meant to be taken that seriously, in case you were wondering. Lemme know if you like all this weird stuff and, again, happy holidays!

New Hunger: Holiday Spirit

Beasts with Hunger for Holiday Spirit, also knowns as Festives, are an odd and small group of Begotten whose Horror craves for remembering others how to behave during the days of celebration. Whether a Festive channels the spirits of the cold days nears the Winter Solstice, the chaotic upheaval of Carnival or the optimistic celebrations for a New Year, it does not matter. Christmas, Yule, Lunar New Year, Saturnalia...holidays have been a part of human culture since the times of old. A Beast with Hunger for Holiday Spirit act as a reminder about what those celebrations are about and punishes those who forget in order to make them learn their lesson and change their behavior.

A Festive with low Satiety can feed on small demonstrations of festive spirit, like little heartfelt traditions, actions and decoration, but one whose Satiety is higher needs more complex plans and reprimand the most egregious defilers of the holiday spirit they relate to.

Klaus and Krampus (as Incarnates)

Two figures arrive into town as days become shorter and the nights grow colder.

One is a big, heavy-built man with an impressive beard. His strong appearance commands respect and awe, but it’s evident his heart is kind and generous. Anyone would feel safe in his company.

The other one is equally tall, but he’s gaunt, with an hawkish nose, a short black goatee and sharp features. He’s dressed impeccably and moves with grace, but he’s also intimidating. People look the other way when he passes and nobody would dare to cross his gaze.

They’re that but also something else. A giant made of ice and wood, coming from an immense snowy mountain and the endless forest that surrounds it. A horned demon with cloven hooves, a monstrous goat-like skull for a face and a fiery breath that reeks of coal and terror, inhabiting the deep, dark caves underground.

They’ve been at this for centuries, friends and partners, even if they disagree on certain points of their duty. Whether it was a choice of theirs to take on this mission or they were appointed to it by someone else, none can say, but the two remain Legends under all aspects.

Klaus

There's no such thing as bad children”

Name: Klaus

Legend: Generous

Life: Parental

Family: Anakim (an argument can be made for Ugallu, but I could not let go the idea of Santa barging in through doors and walls by using the Anakim's Birthright and shouting "Ho! Ho! Ho!". I'm a simple man)

Hunger: Holiday Spirit (Hoard and the upcoming Hunger for Secrets are the best alternatives, if you hate fun)

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 5, Wits 8, Resolve 10

Physical Attributes: Strength 8, Dexterity 10, Stamina 10

Social Attributes: Presence 10, Manipulation 4, Composure 9

Mental Skills: Academics 5, Craft 5 (Toys), Investigation 5 (Behavior), Medicine 3, Occult 4 (Winter Solstice) , Science 5 (Carpentry)

Physical Skills: Athletics 5 (Flight), Brawl 4, Drive 5 (Sleigh), Larceny 5, Stealth 5 (Night), Survival 5 (Polar Regions),

Social Skills: Animal Ken 5, Empathy 5 (Children), Expression 4, Intimidation 4, Persuasion 4, Socialize 3, Streetwise 2,Subterfuge 2

Merits: Allies (Elves 5), Area Of Expertise (Toys), Danger Sense, Danger Sense (Advanced), Direction Sense, Direction Sense (Advanced), Eidetic Memory (Advanced), Encyclopedic Knowledge (Empathy), Fame 3, Fame (Advanced, 3), Fleet Of Foot 3, Giant, Good Time Management, Guilty Pleasure (Milk & Cookies), Indomitable, Inspiring, Iron Will, Multi-Lingual, Safe Place 5, Striking Looks 2, Striking Looks (Advanced) Sympathetic, Trained Observe 3, True Friend.

Atavisms: Alien Allure, Cyclopean Strength, Eye Of Heaven, Frozen Heart (Modified Heart of the Ocean, see below), Ice Under The Skin (Modified Infestation, see below), Looming Presence, Mimir’s Wisdom, Need Must, Relentless Hunter, Storm-Lashed, Titanic Blow, Wings Of The Raptor

Nightmares: All Your Teeth Are Falling Out (Too Many Candies!), Flying And Falling, They Are All Around You (You Better Watch Out), You Are Not Alone, You Can’t Wake Up, You Cannot Run,

Willpower: 10

Lair: 10 (Blizzard, Crosswinds, Extreme Cold, Maze, Thunderous, Exposed, Mirages)

Beast-Shapes: Flight, Impenetrable Skin, Legendary Size, One With Shadows, Piercing Sight, Splinter, Titanic Onslaught, Uncanny Speed, Unnatural Healing

Krampus

Let’s agree to disagree, old friend.”

Name: Krampus

Legend: Judgmental

Life: Hard-Working

Family: Eshmaki

Hunger: Punishment

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 5, Wits 7, Resolve 10

Physical Attributes: Strength 8, Dexterity 9, Stamina 10

Social Attributes: Presence 9, Manipulation 2, Composure 8

Mental Skills: Academics 4 (Scare Tactics), Craft 5, Investigation 5 (Behavior), Medicine 1, Occult 3 (Demons),

Physical Skills: Athletics 5 (Flight), Brawl 5, Drive 4, Larceny 5, Stealth 5, Survival 4, Weaponry 4 (Club)

Social Skills: Animal Ken 4, Empathy 4, Expression 3, Intimidation 5 (Children), Persuasion 4, Streetwise 3,Subterfuge 3

Merits: Area of Expertise (Intimidation, Children), Danger Sense, Demolisher, Direction Sense, Direction Sense (Advanced), Double Jointed, Double Jointed (Advanced), Eidetic Memory, Encyclopedic Knowledge (Intimidation), Fame 3, Fame (Advanced 3), Fast Reflexes 2, Fist Of Nightmares, Giant, Indomitable, Iron Skin 2, Iron Skin (Advanced 2), Iron Will, Multi-Lingual, Safe Place 5, Striking Looks 2, Striking Looks (Advanced), Trained Observer, True Friend.

Atavisms: Cyclopean Strength, Coal Furnace (Modified Dragonfire, see below), Eye Of Heaven, Limb From Limb, Relentless Hunter, Shadowed Soul, Unreakable, Wings Of The Raptor

Nightmares: Behold My True Form!, Run Away, You Are Alone, You Deserve This,

Willpower:10

Lair: 9 (Cramped, Echoing, Maze, Sealed Exists, Noxious Gasses, Darkness)

Beast-Shapes: Impenetrable Skin, Noxious Poison, One With Shadows, Petrifying Gaze, Piercing Sight, Splinter, Terrible Mien, Uncanny Speed, Unnatural Healing

Atavisms

-Frozen Heart

Frozen Heart is a modified version of Heart Of The Ocean. Frozen Heart represents an affinity to ice and snow, culminating in the slow, silent and inexorable destruction caused by the neverending cold. It works the same as Heart Of The Ocean unless specified.

Normal Effect: The Atavism grants immunity to cold and to all sorts of penalties caused by snow and ice. While surrounded by snow or within a blizzard, the character add its Lair rating as a bonus to all physical actions. It can also run through the snow effortlessly and burrow through thick ice as if it was water and move at double its normal speed. While the Atavism grants immunity to cold, the character still needs to breathe while swimming in icy waters

-Ice Under The Skin

Ice Under The Skin is a modified version of Infestation. Instead of a swarm of ravenous creatures, the skin of the character hides a unforgiving blizzard. It works the same as Infestation unless specified and helps get through chimneys, fireplaces and small windows

Low Satiety: The Beast takes bashing damage from all sorts of mundane attacks except fire-based ones. The damage caused by the gusts of frozen winds and ice inflict bashing damage rather than lethal

Satiety Expenditure: the character becomes a sentient blizzard. If condensed to attack a single character, it inflicts bashing damage each turn equal to its Lair. Those enveloped by the Beast also suffer from the Blizzard, Extreme Cold and Heavy Winds Tilt. As the Beast moves, it leaves behind a layer of ice that lasts for a number of hours equal to its Lair and causes the Ice Tilt.

-Coal Furnace

Coal Furnace is a modified version of Dragonfire. The breath of the character is not a turrent of fire but rather a burning cloud of black choking smoke and coal embers. It works the same as Dragonfire unless specified

Normal Effect: Coal Furnace is still a vicious attack than can burn people alive, but its flames are more subdue and tame, if not less vicious. Without Satiety expenditure, Coal Furnace ignites flammable materials only on an exceptional success. A successful attack applies the Blinded Condition and moderate Poisoned Condition for a number of turns equal to the Beast’s Lair to targets. Wearing eye and nose/mouth protection protection protects from gaining these Conditions respectively.

Satiety Expenditure: Coal Furnace ignites flammable material regardless of successes, but ignores no Durability. The damage of Coal Furnace is Lethal instead of Aggravate. It still applies the Blinded Condition, but those hit by it also gain the grave version of the Poisoned Condition. Protections don’t help this time: the might of the Beast cannot be stopped by such simple measures.
    Last edited by Cinder; 12-27-2017, 09:09 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Well, seems like people liked this! Considering I had doubts about it, I'm glad I was wrong.

Might I ask what you think about the Atavisms? I'm working on my crunch skills since I want to start posting more mechanics and I could use some criticism about those, no matter the less than serious premise of the thread.

Comment

Is Claus's Lair populated by Night Terror elves representing the fear of not getting the present you want?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        Is Claus's Lair populated by Night Terror elves representing the fear of not getting the present you want?
        I envisioned it as populated by animals and a race of elf-like beings (something between folklore elves and goblins) spying you from the trees, but sure, I can write a couple of those while using my Night Terror rules. Seems like fun.

Comment

I don't think this is a huge spoiler, so here's a thing: Krampus appears as an example of a Whisper (Hunger for Secrets) in the Player's Guide. Slightly different take, but definitely the same DNA. I didn't go for Santa because it felt a bit too Changeling, but I really like your takes here, and the custom Hunger.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
          Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

The little tidbits on Klaus' and Krampus' relationship I really dig: comes off to me as very Xavier and Magneto from X-Men, before they became sworn enemies of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
              I don't think this is a huge spoiler, so here's a thing: Krampus appears as an example of a Whisper (Hunger for Secrets) in the Player's Guide. Slightly different take, but definitely the same DNA. I didn't go for Santa because it felt a bit too Changeling, but I really like your takes here, and the custom Hunger.
              Thanks! Not gonna lie, getting some appreciation by one of those who actually write the books is always cool. Looking forward both the Player's Guide and your own take on Krampus. I'm sure I'll like it. And I'm glad you liked that slightly less than serious Hunger: I enjoy it but was not sure people would agree with me.

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
              The little tidbits on Klaus' and Krampus' relationship I really dig: comes off to me as very Xavier and Magneto from X-Men, before they became sworn enemies of each other.
              Thank you. Those were indeed just little touches but I'm glad they still delivered. Now that you mention it, I might have taken some of that without even being aware of it. That "old friend" in Krampus quote was probably said by Ian Mckellen's Magneto at some point, if I remember well. Subconscious inspiration.

That said, in my head, my Klaus and Krampus have learned long ago how to deal with each other differences, coexist and collaborate. Family is still family, especially at Christmas.

Comment

Maybe the ghosts of Christmas Past,Present and Future were not ghosts at all,but Beasts with holiday spirit hunger

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                  Maybe the ghosts of Christmas Past,Present and Future were not ghosts at all,but Beasts with holiday spirit hunger
                  Sure, it works. After all, Scrooge is pretty much the perfect target for Beasts with this Hunger

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                    Alternatively, they were Kin to one, and helping Family out with their Christmas dinner.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
                    X