Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Begotten of the Past

It is a time of Bone and Stone
    The gods have left. Some very few people still remember a time that never was, but most of them have to much on their plate fighting to survive to dwell on that. The wilderness is not kind to humans. They don't have fangs, their teeth are a poor excuse for a weapon, and they lack the strength of bears, cave lions and other predators. Seeking strength in numbers, utilizing tools and their superior intellect, they managed to carve out a niche for themselves. But resources are tight, and good places heavily contested by tribes. Guerilla warfare, hunting, gathering were this age's people's life.
    Regardless of their tribe, at night, around the campfire, they told each other the stories of Dah, the Cripple, who would eat children that strayed too far from their parents, and of Takkar, the Lord of the Woods - do not hunt in his woods unless the full moon shines, or the Lord will punish you. They told of Kerm, the Giant Crocodile, which sat on a treasure of it's challengers' posessions - black-stone knifes with very sharp edges, strong and big bows, axes, and even mounds of fur! They warned each other of the Red-Faced Bear, who collapsed caves and burned huts, forcing them out of their shelter and into the elements.
    They praise Shanya, who took down the evil Ogre Ull, and brought back the stolen women and children.
    This is an age in which it is easy for a Beast to further it's Legend, for there are few tribes, few people, and fewer Beasts. Their powers are more relevant, because it is harder for humans to even attempt to level the field: modern humans can rely on guns and grenades, but neopaleolithic hunters have to rely on themselves and their tribe. And so, Beasts that survive long enough are sure to spread their Legend quickly.
    And yet, it is a dangerous time, because Beasts have to fight against the same odds as everyone else: scarcity of food and water, sickness, the elements, wild animals and supernatural predators. Few can survive in these conditions, fewer still thrive. In addition to that, if their tribe doesn't flourish, it can be hard for even Beasts to feed and survive, but unless they want to risk their tribe's capabilities to work and survive, they cannot Feed on their own tribe nor become Ravenous. A flourishing tribe, however, quickly incites their neighbours' fear and envy, leading to conflict. Most Beasts primarily Feed on other Tribes if possible, which tends to spark tribe wars.
    Sooner or later, someone will lose.

It is a time of Salty Waters and Gold
    The seas have always called out to humanity, but lately humans traveled it more than ever. The giant body of water was a challenge, a danger - and highly lucrative, for travelling and carrying goods from a to b paid a pretty, pretty penny. Sure, the ship and crew might not make it, but what did that matter? Most people toil away all their lives in fruitless labour, anyway. Why not risk it all for the chance to experience riches and glory aplenty for a time?
    Surely enough, that's how they got you to serve on a ship, spining tales of beautiful girls in every port, wine and beer and meat, the adventures and bonds on the sea, never once mentioning the drudgery that is everyday work, the boredom, the sickness and death. Most of all, the fear: fear of storms, fear of drowning, fear of pirates and fire and treachery and death.
    But even if they did, gold's siren's song was powerful.
    Many a Beast likes ships, and joins the crewes: the cook, the captain, the new guy - every positioned held a chance to spread fear and Feed. Being hunted by a Hero was dangerous, but smart Beasts found clever ways to escape them easily, and those blessed with Aquatic Horrors or Lairs could always just jump into the sea.
    In many ways, it is the age of the Makara: knowledge and riches, drowning (in water, mistakes, bills, riches...) and the seas coming together in a union that was just made for them.
    A particular Brood decided to man a pirate ship, abusing their skillset to spread fear into the hearts of seafarers far and wide: A Kraken, a mouldy ratman, a Roc and a sea-snake coming together practically guaranteed doom for most ships.
    The Captain, an Ugallu Tyrant, relied on his Hurricane and Blazing Light Lair Traits and Storm-Lashed ability to give a significant advantage to his crew during their battles, and with Needs Must was sure to sniff out their next target somehow. Their recruiter's Siren's Treacherous Song allowed them to get many a good hand on ship, and the snake was a pretty horrific brawler thanks to being a Relentless Hunter, which helped in one or two recruitment cases. Being a Makara Enabler, he enjoyed the young men's suffering for their rash actions thouroughly. For some reason, he seemed to like Extreme Heat - when everyone else was down in the shade, sweating, he seemed to just laugh it off. The lieutenant was a Namtaru Nemesis, and due to possessing Mimir's Wisdom, it was impossible to keep anything hidden from him. A ship, even a pirate ship, only worked if everyone did their due, and he made damn sure that was the case. Worst of all, he had a habit of popping out of nowhere, and thus no one ever relaxed on duty- you just couldn't be sure he'd not be around when you fooled around. Damn his Shadowed-Soul! When there was a real Downpour, the Captain would get him to help navigate.
    The last one in their midst didn't have any tasks as a crewman - indeed, he got to relax when there wasn't a raid on. This is because the Kraken was the secret weapon - this Anakim Collector would single-handedly sink ships with Titanic Blows, bursting them open from underneath - with his Heart of the Ocean, holding his breath or not freezing to death wasn't a problem at all. Worst of all, when the ships Flooded, they and everyone inside felt especially Heavy.

So far, there was comparatively little Dark Eras Beast material, so I just wanted to share some basic concepts I thougt you guys might like.
    In which Eras do you think Beasts could carve out a nice place for themselves? What Eras would allow particularly interesting stories about Begotten in your opinion?

I know I'm a broken record on this one, but the Zanzibar Sultanate would be an awesome Beast era. Archaic Greece (aka Twelve Laboura of Heracles) would be cool. Epic of Gilgamesh would be perfect. I'll give it some thought and be more substantive later.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

There are three elevator pitches for Beast Eras. I'm quite pleased with them.

Where the Wendigo Walks (Rupert's Land, 1670-1870)
      Canada may have confederated to the east, but the forests and plains of the west remain wild. Dominated by the fur trade of the Hudson's Bay Company, British Imperial power continues to creep its way along the trade routes even as the fur traders and Metis seek to keep themselves free from the Crown's oversite. This is a feeding ground for Beasts of all kinds, be that European, First Nations, or Metis, as the wilderness of the far North is fraught with danger even for the most experienced of hunters. That danger is starting to take a new form that makes even the Begotten tremble, however. The Wendigo stalks the lands and if it is a Beast, it is certainly the most powerful Apex seen in generations, but some Begotten wonder if it isn't the avatar of the Dark Mother herself.

The Cold, Icy Ocean (the Atlantic Ocean, 1909-1985)
      Unsinkable. The Wonder Ship. The Last Word in Luxury. Titanic.

When the 2200 souls went to their graves on an icy morning in April 1912, it sent shockwaves around the world. Amidst the sheer tragedy of the moment, Kindred elders were stranded under icebergs, mummy tombs were lost to the bottom of the sea floor, and Awakened artifacts were lost in the doomed ship's hull. Humanity was reminded that not to let their hubris make them think they could conquer nature. The supernatural were reminded that they were hardly any better off. This is the heyday of the Atlantic Makara, as humanity fears the oceans once more. While no one thinks that there was supernatural cause to the loss of the Titanic, Beasts of all stripes are compelled to hunt for the wreck of the lost ship and the treasures hidden within. They are not the only ones. In addition to every supernatural treasure hunter you can think of, the Insatiable are also compelled to search for the lost Titanic for unknown reasons and Beasts regularly clash with their Lair-stealing foes.

The Astral Network (the Internet, 1995-2005)
      Humanity was globalized by the Primordial Dream long before the first book was bound, let alone the first computer chip manufactured, but that doesn't mean the World Wide Web was any less of a game changer. The information age marches relentlessly on, changing the collective consciousness, broadening horizons, and introducing new fears to the world. Heroes and Beasts are both driven into a frenzy by the churning wake digital globalization. New conflicts, chambers, horrors, and villains arise as one thing is for certain. The World will never be the same.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

The Satanic Panic, 1980s
        Rock music will seduce your children to Satan. So will Dungeons and Dragons. Preschools and kindergartens are riddled with demon-worshippers who perform depraved acts of abuse on helpless children, and through hypnotic regression and dream interpretation your own repressed memories of violent trauma can be dragged to light.

Even in the World of Darkness, it's more of a ludicrous moral panic than actual crusade against cultists. But the Primordial Dream doesn't differential between hysteria and genuine threats, and the Begotten find the face of fear reshaped in unexpected ways as new terrors sweep the country. I...don't actually have much of a plot to suggest, mostly just the image of the local Apex looking at a brood of newly Devoured Children whose horrors consist of a Beholder, a Mind-Flayer, and some kind of zombie Ozzie Osbourne. To which she just huffs, "Kids these days..."

Comment

I don't have a built up write-up for it, but still- the Cath Maige Tuired, first conflict between the Fir Bolg and Fomorians against the God-Heroes that are the Tuatha De Danaan, would be epic.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            I don't have a built up write-up for it, but still- the Cath Maige Tuired, first conflict between the Fir Bolg and Fomorians against the God-Heroes that are the Tuatha De Danaan, would be epic.
            I would pay good money for this. Are you proposing that the Firbolg and Formorians be the Beasts and the Tuatha de Danaan be some kind of unprecedentedly large alliance of heroes, or otherwise?

I'm voting that Balor be the Apex, for the record.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
              I would pay good money for this. Are you proposing that the Firbolg and Formorians be the Beasts and the Tuatha de Danaan be some kind of unprecedentedly large alliance of heroes, or otherwise?

I'm voting that Balor be the Apex, for the record.
              The Fomorians, without a doubt. The Fir Bolg, very probably.

As for the Tuatha De Danaan? Possibly that, or we might go bigger and weirder. I never imagined them as human, honestly.

The big goal is an end of empire setting, more aking to Wolf and the Raven or Dog Kings of Sumer but with more Sundered World possibility. THe Fomor owned that world, and the alliance of monsters under their banner could have been the greatest defiance of human supremacy known-only for the tragic fate of Beasts to take on new scale, with frightening implications-maybe it's not humanity, but genuinely the world that defies the Eldest. Maybe monomyth really is that deep.

EDIT: It also puts a spin on a classic desire, an era of monsters, but delivers in an unusual and different way. Much as I dig Classical Greece, I would really rather avoid chasing the obvious options, and the early proto-history of Ireland mixed in with the mythology sounds like a good place to do it.
              Last edited by ArcaneArts; 02-26-2018, 04:07 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                The big goal is an end of empire setting, more aking to Wolf and the Raven or Dog Kings of Sumer but with more Sundered World possibility. THe Fomor owned that world, and the alliance of monsters under their banner could have been the greatest defiance of human supremacy known-only for the tragic fate of Beasts to take on new scale, with frightening implications-maybe it's not humanity, but genuinely the world that defies the Eldest. Maybe monomyth really is that deep.

EDIT: It also puts a spin on a classic desire, an era of monsters, but delivers in an unusual and different way. Much as I dig Classical Greece, I would really rather avoid chasing the obvious options, and the early proto-history of Ireland mixed in with the mythology sounds like a good place to do it.
                Suddenly a stone emerges from the plains before the Apex:

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Here's another one off the beaten trail...

Rise of the Thunder Lizards (the Dinosaur Renaissance, 1969-1996)
                  Dinosaurs have always gripped people's minds. In the late 1800s, it was not uncommon for Horrors to take the form of terrible lizards. As dinosaurs dropped out of the public consciousness in the early 1900s, these Beasts appear less and less frequently. The discovery of Deinonychus in 1969 changed everything. It was impossible to see the newly found raptor as a slow, dumb, brute of a reptile. As the scientific community recognized that dinosaurs were dynamic, power, and likely intelligent, ripples spread outward through the Primordial Dream, calling to young minds everywhere. Dinosaurs were terrifying once again, but they were also hypnotic and beautiful creatures to be admired. Somehow, the call went out, and the prehistoric Beasts returned. Some were new horrors, born in modern nights. Others were Begotten who had hibernated in their Lairs since the turn of the century. In 1985, they converge on Drumheller, Canada for the opening of the Royal Tyrrell Museum and pay tribute to the creatures their Horrors have borrowed the forms of. The rising tide of beasts reaches its crescendo in 1993 with the release of Jurassic Park and the release of a new generation of dinosaurs in the dreams and nightmares of the world. The torrent finally slows in 1996 with the discovery of Sinosauropteryx fossils with feathers, definitively showing that birds were actually non-avian dinosaurs, but this time the prehistoric Beasts were here to stay.

Damnit, now I want an entire book of Beast Dark Eras like Requiem got!

Comment

(I might make my own fanmade Dark Era on the below someday, but whatever)

Tyrants of the Rising Sun (Occupied Japan, 1945-1952)

In August 1945, the world and the Primordial Dream was changed forever. The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the world was introduced to a brand new fear that would dominate the rest of the century: the fear of nuclear annihilation. That weapons technology had reached a point where tens of thousands of people could die in an instant. The people of Japan know this better then anything else. Especially since the radiation still lingers on in the sites where the bombs dropped. This is further exacerbated when American forces occupied Japan for half a decade, increasing anxiety and lethargy on losing in a major world war. The combination of new and old fears would create...an unusual effect on the Horrors created in this time. Years later the Japanese Begotten still wasn't sure what it was, but the Horrors all grew to enormous size, almost as tall as buildings. Whatever they were, a new kind of Beast was created in the embers of the dying Empire of the Rising Sun: kaiju. From oversized insects, to mutated lizards and dinosaurs, to sea dragons that crawl on land, Japan is about to face a new kind of fear.
                    Last edited by tasti man LH; 02-26-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                      (I might make my own fanmade Dark Era on the below someday, but whatever)

Tyrants of the Rising Sun (Occupied Japan, 1945-1952)

In August 1945, the world and the Primordial Dream was changed forever. The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the world was introduced to a brand new fear that would dominate the rest of the century: the fear of nuclear annihilation. That weapons technology had reached a point where tens of thousands of people could die in an instant. The people of Japan know this better then anything else. Especially since the radiation still lingers on in the sites where the bombs dropped. This is further exacerbated when American forces occupied Japan for half a decade, increasing anxiety and lethargy on losing in a major world war. The combination of new and old fears would create...an unusual effect on the Horrors created in this time. Years later the Japanese Begotten still wasn't sure what it was, but the Horrors all grew to enormous size, almost as tall as buildings. Whatever they were, a new kind of Beast was created in the embers of the dying Empire of the Rising Sun: kaiju. From oversized insects, to mutated lizards and dinosaurs, to sea dragons that crawl on land, Japan is about to face a new kind of fear.
                      Ha, I had the exact same idea with the exact same timespan! Awesome!

Comment

The fear of the atom bomb almost borders on Insatiable territory, imo -- it's that kind of raw power on an inhuman scale, for all it's been harnessed by human hands. I wonder if, in addition to kaiju-styled Horrors, there would also be a new Moment: the Moment of Deadly Glare, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                          The combination of new and old fears would create...an unusual effect on the Horrors created in this time. Years later the Japanese Begotten still wasn't sure what it was, but the Horrors all grew to enormous size, almost as tall as buildings. Whatever they were, a new kind of Beast was created in the embers of the dying Empire of the Rising Sun: kaiju. From oversized insects, to mutated lizards and dinosaurs, to sea dragons that crawl on land, Japan is about to face a new kind of fear.
                          Would not all Kaiju being all Anakims, in new shells? It's all Fear of Helplessness, in the end

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

It's all Fear of Helplessness, in the end
                            All fears involve some form of helplessness against them. Doesn't mean Anakim are the only Beasts.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

BtP corebook literally write title under Anakim as 'Nightmares of Hopelessness'...
                              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-27-2018, 11:43 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X