Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beast Player's Guide on DTRPG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beast Player's Guide on DTRPG!

    Like a bat out of hell, I’ll be gone when the morning comes! When the night is over like a bat out of hell I'll be gone, gone, gone. The Player’s Guide is finally here.

    Discuss.
    Last edited by Second Chances; 03-07-2018, 03:29 PM.


    Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
    He/His Pronouns
    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

  • #2
    Stand up, child, and turns towards the lightning and the thunder, so I can see what I have known for all these years.

    Dis' gonna be good.


    Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
    Work Blog Coming Soon
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm taking a quick skim through, but having reached the merits section, they all look interesting! In particular, the horrorspawn and primordial cult merits made me stop skimming and actually read them.

      EDIT: And now Lair merits and Kinship merits on top of that! These will be fun to build with! I am particularly happy to see the two ghost kinship merits!
      Last edited by Second Chances; 03-07-2018, 03:52 PM.


      Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
      He/His Pronouns
      CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

      Comment


      • #4
        Any winners or surprises so far?


        Call me Regina or Lex.

        Female pronouns for me, please.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
          Any winners or surprises so far?
          For surprises, this is the one I've had to keep quiet about: Beasts have a sub-splat now-- Heralds. (Two, I guess, if we're counting Horror Spawn).



          Sam | Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

          VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
          Podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love by giving them away

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            Any winners or surprises so far?
            From my quick skim, there was a surprising amount of world building/cosmology for a player book. I saw some references to explaining how Beasts and Mages understanding of the Astral overlap with each other.


            Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
            He/His Pronouns
            CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

            Comment


            • #7
              I have just settled on buying Enemy Action- and now you made the Player Guide to sound awesome. That's too much for me. I'm out :P


              My Homebrew Signature

              "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

              I now blog in here

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

                For surprises, this is the one I've had to keep quiet about: Beasts have a sub-splat now-- Heralds. (Two, I guess, if we're counting Horror Spawn).
                I'm really happy Heralds and cults made it in. This gives Beast a lot more options in terms of stories to tell.

                Also, I really want to see a writeup for the Lodge of the Red Owl in the Contagion Chronicle. An Iron Master lodge with a Beast as a totem! That's awesome.


                Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                He/His Pronouns
                CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

                  For surprises, this is the one I've had to keep quiet about: Beasts have a sub-splat now-- Heralds. (Two, I guess, if we're counting Horror Spawn).
                  What do Heralds do?


                  Call me Regina or Lex.

                  Female pronouns for me, please.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

                    What do Heralds do?
                    A Herald is the high priest of the Beast's cult (or manager, if it's secular). They act as the spiritual go-between for the Beast's Horror and her human cultists, and defend the Begotten's Life while also perpetuating her Legend. From a mechanics point of view, they're like Primordial Dream Stigmatics. They also, from a narrative point of view, act in the role of the monster's second in command/trusted lieutenant/scheming general. Like many examples of those characters, they sometimes get different ideas about who should be in charge.
                    Last edited by Yossarian; 03-07-2018, 06:13 PM.



                    Sam | Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

                    VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                    Podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love by giving them away

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

                      What do Heralds do?
                      Heralds are to Beasts as Sadikh are to Mummies. They get a different suite of powers since the source is dramatically different, but they have similar niches.


                      Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                      He/His Pronouns
                      CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

                        A Herald is the high priest of the Beast's cult (or manager, if it's secular). They act as the spiritual go-between for the Beast's Horror and her human cultists, and defend the Begotten's Life while also perpetuating her Legend. From a mechanics point of view, they're like Primordial Dream Stigmatics. They also, from a narrative point of view, act in the role of the monster's second in command/trusted lieutenant/scheming general. Like many examples of those characters, they sometimes they get different ideas about who should be in charge.
                        So they are The Dragon to the Beast's Big Bad. I've been reading it on my phone and I've only been able to do the lightest of skims, but this looks GOOD.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                          I'm really happy Heralds and cults made it in. This gives Beast a lot more options in terms of stories to tell.

                          Also, I really want to see a writeup for the Lodge of the Red Owl in the Contagion Chronicle. An Iron Master lodge with a Beast as a totem! That's awesome.
                          I'm not a writer on the Contagion Chronicle, but I do have some Mystery Cult Initiation mechanics for all the little sample cults that are mentioned in that section, which I will post soon with some other cut/extra Cult material.



                          Sam | Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

                          VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                          Podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love by giving them away

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have to admit I was uneasy about the Player Guide, but a friend who got the book has been sharing snippets of the writing, and it sounds like it's much more conscious of the harmfulness of Beasts and of showing characters and factions (!) who are constructive and grappling with their inherent moral difficulties.

                            I mean, I expected it to be, knowing people were working hard on it to make it a worthwhile, redeeming, supplement, but it's an immense relief to know those perspectives are integral to the Player Guide.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

                              I'm not a writer on the Contagion Chronicle, but I do have some Mystery Cult Initiation mechanics for all the little sample cults that are mentioned in that section, which I will post soon with some other cut/extra Cult material.
                              Yay!

                              Kinship merits are an awesome idea! Its neat to have a way to pick of some of the characteristics of other splats if you are trying to emulate a specific type of monster. Scour Your Body is a particularly interesting and non-obvious one for Mage.

                              Legendary Horror is also AWESOME! Ways to get access to Influences are always fun.


                              Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                              He/His Pronouns
                              CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X