Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beast Player's Guide on DTRPG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oh, something I wanted to add: At first, I was skeptical about the Obcasus Rites--do Beasts really need a type of ritual magic?--but I think their presentation, as a way to bring the community of nightmares together, is really neat. They aren't witchcraft, they're religion. That's a nice twist.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
      Oh, something I wanted to add: At first, I was skeptical about the Obcasus Rites--do Beasts really need a type of ritual magic?--but I think their presentation, as a way to bring the community of nightmares together, is really neat. They aren't witchcraft, they're religion. That's a nice twist.
      I agree, and I think it's why I prefer them to my Primordial Sorcery - quite apart from the fact that they're better-written.


      Comment


      • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        The revelation that Horrors are transmogrified Dreamtime goetia explains a lot about the degree of influence they have over the world — these are entities that have spanned the breadth of the Astral through the circumstances of their birth, making their way to a singular dreamer from the inchoate dreams of the world (where, in 1e, the resident primal entities could manage feats like lending their Influences and forging Platonic exemplars of the raw elements).
        This is only tangentially related to Beast, but I can’t help but wonder that if this is the case (still haven’t boughtg it yet), what are its implications regarding the Dreamtime entity that empowers the Morphean Continuity from Mage...


        MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
          The revelation that Horrors are transmogrified Dreamtime goetia explains a lot about the degree of influence they have over the world — these are entities that have spanned the breadth of the Astral through the circumstances of their birth, making their way to a singular dreamer from the inchoate dreams of the world (where, in 1e, the resident primal entities could manage feats like lending their Influences and forging Platonic exemplars of the raw elements).
          Just finished the book. I read the Inheritences section pretty early on, so this was the last part I read and the part I was most looking forward to. It did not disappoint. There's some really interesting crossover between Beast and Mage here that throughly enjoyed. One of the reasons I pitched adding Mage to 1001 Nights in Dark Eras 2 was to get this type of crossover explanation, so I am just tickled to see it here.

          The larval Beast/Goetia but does make sense and offers multiple plot hooks for how you can have "legacy" horror. Maybe it was shaped by its chamber? Maybe it survived its Beast's death? Or maybe it once was the Goetia of a particular monster in the Bright Dream, before being changed by the Mother's land into horror? Appropriately enough, that feels very reminiscent of Dream of the Endless. If the Goetia of Chimera disappears from the Bright Dream by becoming a Horror, a new Chimera eventually appears. It's not the same Chimera, but they are spiritual successors and may even share some of the same memories. If more than one Chimera ends up becoming a Horror and joining with a Beast, I wonder what would happen if the Beasts met? That's a fun plothook to build around.

          Ooo and we get a bit of an idea where the Insatiable fit in this twisted dreamscape. Cool!

          All in all, this is an excellent book. Definitely on my list to get a hardcopy of.


          CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

          3D Printing CofD | DC Chronicles | Marvel Chronicles | CofD Quotes | The Giftbox

          Comment


          • SPEAKING OF 1001 NIGHTS:

            Couldn’t help but noticed the mention of djinns and ifrits in the cultural section for Tyrants. A small taste on what’s to come for that Dark Era?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
              No, there isn't. Gellydog was saying that it would have been distasteful to include such a passage in response to another user disliking that Tasallii downplayed the rape angle instead of playing it up.
              Ah good, thanks.

              Originally posted by LostLight View Post
              I must say that after reading the Inguma, I find it kinda funny that everyone call them the "youngest family", simply because they were born only after humans made cities for the first time. Relativity is important, after all.
              That is amusing, yes. I wonder if some Beasts might have a theory that the Inguma's Horrors are "evil twins" of goetia from the Bright Dream, because for a while, community represented safety from the dark, and it's only relatively recently (relative, like you said) that it's become a possible source of fear as well. I do like that they Inguma don't just represent foreign or subaltern Others, but also paranoia about People Like You.

              I've read the whole thing now, and I like it a lot. The new social groups are a good addition, the extra context on the why of lessons is great, and I lovelovelove the new information on the Primordial Dream and other astral realms.

              The only thing I'd have liked to see was an Inheritance that left an ex-Beast with a Lair but no Horror.

              Comment


              • I skimmed it...and this thread.
                Anyone mention the layout seemed odd? Just the one thing I gleaned..."A Carnivorous Diet" was set in the middle of Chapter two in the "Families" section. It goes from the "Ugallu" to it..After "Hunger Pacing" it continues with the "Collectors."

                Also it seems "lessons" are omitted from Inguma and Talassii...

                As I said, I just skimmed it so maybe I'm missing something. (and I didn't have my morning coffee yet too)


                Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Shadowflame View Post
                  I skimmed it...and this thread.
                  Anyone mention the layout seemed odd? Just the one thing I gleaned..."A Carnivorous Diet" was set in the middle of Chapter two in the "Families" section. It goes from the "Ugallu" to it..After "Hunger Pacing" it continues with the "Collectors."

                  Also it seems "lessons" are omitted from Inguma and Talassii...

                  As I said, I just skimmed it so maybe I'm missing something. (and I didn't have my morning coffee yet too)
                  It's not the middle of the Family section, it's the end. Carnivorous Diet is just the title of the Hunger half of the chapter. I'm not sure why it got a fancier name than the Families section, but there you have it. It's possibly a bit counter intuitive because the write-ups for the four new character-types come at the end of the chapter, starting with the new Families.

                  And the Family two-pagers (if that's what you're referring to?) didn't have lessons in the core book either. It's just the Hungers that relate to lessons.



                  Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

                  VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                  I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                    It's possibly a bit counter intuitive because the write-ups for the four new character-types come at the end of the chapter, starting with the new Families.
                    I did find that a little odd! It seems odd, to introduce them after you've read through a bunch of stuff describing how to play them, but I guess it also would be somewhat inelegant to just plop them before the chapter title...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Gellydog View Post

                      I did find that a little odd! It seems odd, to introduce them after you've read through a bunch of stuff describing how to play them, but I guess it also would be somewhat inelegant to just plop them before the chapter title...
                      I believe they were set just after the chapter 2 intro in drafts, but sometimes layout has to rejigger things. It's not the biggest deal in the world, I think, since most people are probably viewing it via PDF, and the hyperlinks/bookmarks are pretty prominent.



                      Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

                      VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                      I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

                        This is only tangentially related to Beast, but I can’t help but wonder that if this is the case (still haven’t boughtg it yet), what are its implications regarding the Dreamtime entity that empowers the Morphean Continuity from Mage...
                        That wouldn't be surprising. After all, this spirit is driven by the all-consuming fear of disappearing: that could explain a potential "synchronization" with the Primordial Realm, which is so tied to both fear and survival.

                        And now that you point it out... it may not be the only Primordial Dreamborn to do so.

                        Rising from the murky depths of the Dreamtime
                        to touch a mage’s subconscious during sleep or deep
                        meditation, the Unforgotten manifests as a vast,
                        undefined shape moving beneath a cold, black sea or
                        glimpsed in silhouette behind thick ice. Cloaked in
                        such perceptual metaphors, the Unforgotten murmurs
                        in the polyphonic cacophony of every genius whose
                        works have perished. In this borrowed chorus, the
                        Unforgotten communicates its respect for the mage’s
                        greatness and echoes his outrage that such greatness
                        should ever fade from the world.
                        *cough cough* Makara/Inguma Enabler *cough cough*

                        ​Unlike most Legacies, the Unforgotten
                        Scions exist as components of a self-aware
                        ideology greater than the sum of its parts. In
                        practical terms, this means a mage doesn’t
                        need another member of the Legacy to initiate
                        her or teach her new Attainments, as most
                        learn directly from the Unforgotten.
                        Dreamers all carry a direct mental link to
                        the astral entity they call the Unforgotten. The
                        exact nature of this being remains unknown,
                        but evidence gathered by the Mysterium
                        strongly points to it being a kind of evolved
                        concept spirit similar to those created with
                        Eternal Dreams, embodying the idea of the
                        Legacy itself as a central nexus of the viral
                        meme. Even if this theory is correct, it doesn’t
                        explain where the Unforgotten came from,
                        though that doesn’t deter wild speculation of
                        mad Oracles or the transcended daimon of
                        the Legacy’s original founder. About the only
                        thing scholars can definitively agree upon is
                        that the Unforgotten has no ties to the Abyss,
                        which seems strange given its association
                        with corrupting madness. The perverse truth
                        is that Dreamers actually oppose the Abyss
                        by preserving and disseminating magical lore
                        through the world, though most Awakened
                        would quite happily do without such “help,”
                        if given the choice.
                        Born in the Depths of the Astral? Check.
                        Tied to fear and quenching desires? Check.
                        Being the center of a mental web connecting the very souls of many peoples and shaping them to give them powers (like a Brood's Lair) ? Check.
                        Even that Attainment about raising Goetia from grimoires resemble some weird, Kinship-influenced way to create Horrorspawns.

                        Perhaps you should wait to check the Player's Guide before doing those write-ups, 21C Hermit
                        Last edited by Adrasalieth; 03-16-2018, 07:00 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Adrasalieth View Post

                          That wouldn't be surprising. After all, this spirit is driven by the all-consuming fear of disappearing: that could explain a potential "synchronization" with the Primordial Realm, which is so tied to both fear and survival.

                          And now that you point it out... it may not be the only Primordial Dreamborn to do so.



                          *cough cough* Makara/Inguma Enabler *cough cough*





                          Born in the Depths of the Astral? Check.
                          Tied to fear and quenching desires? Check.
                          Being the center of a Lair Mental web connecting the very souls of many peoples and shaping them to give them powers ? Check.
                          Even that Attainment about raising Goetia from grimoires resemble some weird, Kinship-influenced way to create Horrorspawns.

                          Perhaps you should wait to check the Player's Guide before doing those write-ups, 21C Hermit
                          * starts checking finances


                          MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

                          Comment


                          • ... Dear Mother of Monsters, this book is good. The parts about the Astral is enchanting me.


                            MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

                            Comment


                            • In other news, PoD for this bad boy drops this Wednesday.

                              Comment


                              • PoD's live for those interested.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X