Beast Player's Guide on DTRPG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    It's certainly not even close to Werewolf 1e's murderous stillborn ghost-babies, which have thankfully been relegated to discontinuity.
    I absolutely hated that about Forsaken 1e. It took the isolation angle a bit too far, and utterly murdered a lot of potential inter-character plots by making packs into people who absolutely must not get TOO close while simultaneously expecting them to be closer than lovers in a way. It was such a weird disconnect for me and made absolutely no sense. I know it was done to enforce the idea that Uratha need to stay close to their human sides (i.e. human family) and because Apocalypse did it too, but as a person who is naturally Polyamorous and prefers very character-driven stories i utterly hated it to the point that it actually drove me away from ever touching Forsaken.

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
    Something I really liked about using sex to make Horrorspawn was it was not a natural ability the Horrors have. They are asexual, and totally lack things like chromosomes or (in most cases, probably) genitals...a.k.a. the things you need for sexual reproduction. The Horrors can only perform this function because they are connected to a human, for which this is totally natural.

In other words, the Horror is gaining superpowers by merging with a human being.

It's a total inversion of the usual line that happens in not just the CofD, but most speculative fiction. In this case, we're alien being with bizarre, unnatural (to a Horror) powers that the Horror can only access because of the bond. We get Atavisms and Lairs, they get Merit: The Monster with Two Backs.

And I, uh, think that's pretty neat?
    I loved this part, too. It really highlights how Horrors are otherworldy beings of nightmare, as malleable as dreams and also shows where they gain from their symbiotic relationship with humans in a very clear way, even beyond gaining access to a partner (the Beast) who can wield Nightmares.
    Last edited by Eternal Darkness; 03-09-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blakemikizuki View Post
      How does one bring out the minion or thrall lair trait out into the real world.
      Get a physical vessel, either a person, animal, or part of the Beast's human body (which causes a little Aggravated damage). Tell the spawn to inhabit it. Profit!

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
      Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
      He/him pronouns, please

Comment

i don’t have the money to buy the book and I want to see if it’s worth buying can someone give me a list to see what’s there
        Last edited by Konradleijon; 03-09-2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
          i don’t have the money to buy the book and I want to see if it’s worth buying can someone give me a list to see what’s there
          Isn't the Table of Contents available as a preview on Drivethrurpg?

Comment

Originally posted by branford View Post

Isn't the Table of Contents available as a preview on Drivethrurpg?
            Indeed it is. And if you play/enjoy reading Beasts, yes it is worth buying.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
              To give a brief rund down there's more discussion on different aspects like Life, Legend, the devouring. It goes into different ways Beast's express their family and hunger in feeding and lessons ,should they choose lessons, new birthrights, new atavisms, new nightmares, new kin nightmares, new realms, answers to commonly asked questions, new inheritances, new families, new hungers. Other things too..

Comment

Finaly got my copy. So an Atavism named Shadow Stalker? Is this a worm reference?
                Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 03-09-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Aside from the issue I mentioned earlier I'm really liking this book, the cults and dream minions will be especially helpful considering I run Beasts as hungry rakshasa trying to create grand kingdoms in the primordial dream.

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                  Finaly got my copy. So an Atavism named Shadow Stalker? Is this a worm reference?
                  It is not. It's for shadowing people by literally taking the place of their shadow.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                    Aside from the issue I mentioned earlier I'm really liking this book, the cults and dream minions will be especially helpful considering I run Beasts as hungry rakshasa trying to create grand kingdoms in the primordial dream.

It is not. It's for shadowing people by literally taking the place of their shadow.
                    Neat as hekk

Comment

I must say that I am very happy to see Promethean representation in the kinship writeups for the Families. I am doubly pleased to see that some Beasts aren't alienated by the Pilgrimage. The Bond the Talassii can form with the Created seems particularly strong, which says to me that the Beast would likely respect their Promethean friend's journey even if they don't understand it. Meanwhile, the Ugallu seem positively thrilled to act as mentors on the Pilgrimage. That is awesome and suggests some complex family dynamics between the Created and the Begotten. I really hope those positive relationship carry over to the Necropolis of Hawara in Dark Eras 2.

Anakim, Inguma, Makara, and Ugallu all have kinship sections on mummies, some of them quite lengthy. I think we can safely say that the Arisen were not forgotten in this book. I think it's neat how many times psychics are mentioned in the kinship section as well. It's a nice little touch to remind us that the kin aren't just the core splats.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

I don't even think the writers know what Worm is. It's called that because you become a stalker by replacing a shadow.

Though, now I wanna see a fanfic in which a brood of Beasts is turned loose on Winslow. Blackwell will be in an asylum by the end of the week. Hee.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post

Get a physical vessel, either a person, animal, or part of the Beast's human body (which causes a little Aggravated damage). Tell the spawn to inhabit it. Profit!
                          No not the horror spawn. The lair traits that they introduced in this book.
                          But thank you for your help regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Blakemikizuki View Post
                            No not the horror spawn. The lair traits that they introduced in this book.
                            But thank you for your help regardless.
                            "While they can do no damage to intruders, minions can attempt to apply the Knocked Down, Stunned, or Immobilized Tilts."

This seems to be the most useful thing to get out of the trait in the outside world, so I'd probably say that, like other Traits, when you impose it the Minions/Thralls sort of appear out of nothing (or through some suitably theatrical means, i.e. rising out of ground or clawing in through the walls) and can start interacting with that area as if it was part of the Lair. So, if you're trying to impose those listed Tilts they begin grabbing at the enemy, or maybe they can start messing with the scenery. The rest of the trait description mentions "maintaining or breaking down Chambers," so maybe you could have them start breaking stuff or even build things up (like a bridge from nearby materials).

Thralls can actually engage in combat and use one Atavism each, so you would just "summon" them into the scene and then order them around as you would in your Lair. At least, that's my interpretation!

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

I don't even think the writers know what Worm is. It's called that because you become a stalker by replacing a shadow.

Though, now I wanna see a fanfic in which a brood of Beasts is turned loose on Winslow. Blackwell will be in an asylum by the end of the week. Hee.
                              I'm... actually halfway to writing that on Spacebattles, under QafianSage. Great minds, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

I'm... actually halfway to writing that on Spacebattles, under QafianSage. Great minds, yes?
                                Please send me a link!

Comment

Working...
                                X