Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    all the trouble that comes with human sacrifice
    This is a ritual that's not supposed to be seen by non-participants in a game where every PC has a personal killing floor, relatively easy access to destructive forces, and no mechanical compulsion against killing outside of fairly specific circumstances. Somehow I get the feeling Beasts don't have a lot of trouble making a murder into a missing persons case.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      This is a ritual that's not supposed to be seen by non-participants in a game where every PC has a personal killing floor, relatively easy access to destructive forces, and no mechanical compulsion against killing outside of fairly specific circumstances. Somehow I get the feeling Beasts don't have a lot of trouble making a murder into a missing persons case.
      I'm largely in agreement, except as it concerns the fact beasts do not have much of an easy option to erase or muddle forensic evidence (short of unleashing the right kind of Lair Traits on the area), or an organized Masquerade to get it buried. So they may still need some caution to avoid turning a murder into a kidnapping case. As an aside, if everything goes wrong, Beast abilities are also great to stage a jailbreak, if the character does not mind living as a fugitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irioth View Post
        I'm largely in agreement, except as it concerns the fact beasts do not have much of an easy option to erase or muddle forensic evidence (short of unleashing the right kind of Lair Traits on the area), or an organized Masquerade to get it buried. So they may still need some caution to avoid turning a murder into a kidnapping case. As an aside, if everything goes wrong, Beast abilities are also great to stage a jailbreak, if the character does not mind living as a fugitive.
        You have a pocket dimension where most people keep their soul. That tends to be a fairly secure place to bury the bodies.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Organizing my list of existent Nightmares - “You Don’t Belong Here” is used as an example of a character specific kinship one, but I think it works more generally as a perfect Promethean kinship Nightmare!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            You have a pocket dimension where most people keep their soul. That tends to be a fairly secure place to bury the bodies.
            I was thinking more of stuff like fingerprints, bloodstains, and DNA evidence, rather than bodies (which I wholly agree with you about). How is a careless beast supposed to deal with them, short of unleashing destructive Lair Traits on the area to wipe them away? One more reason to always have a couple of them in your Lair arsenal, thematic purity be damned.
            Last edited by Irioth; 03-10-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Man, Changelings are not going to respond well to Inguma with the Doppleganger Atavism...

Comment

I'm largely in agreement, except as it concerns the fact beasts do not have much of an easy option to erase or muddle forensic evidence (short of unleashing the right kind of Lair Traits on the area)
                The Enemy Within Atavism will help.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it. WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

I think a Beast would need to be pretty sloppy to leave a strong enough earthly evidence trail for mundane police to link a disappearance to their mortal identity.

Now, enough evidence for a competent in-the-know Hunter Conspiracy to make the connection - that’s another story... hook... entirely.

Comment

Anyone think we should make a Homebrew Obascus Rites thread?

My first idea would be something to actually allow Beasts to do more with Dreams.
                    I agree with this as well. Shall I make the thread? I've got an idea for a first Rite, one that interacts with a Temple to make it easier for all Beasts involved in the performance of the Rite to open Pathways to and from the Temple, as well as protecting it from damage due to Lair Traits. Does that sound like an Intermediate Rite or an Advanced one to you?

Comment

• Id say basic or even intermediate. And please do

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Id say basic or even intermediate. And please do
                        I have made it now, here: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-obcasus-rites.

Comment

• Just started reading the Atavisms. Alien mindset is cool! That Satiety Expenditure would be neat trick for ensuring your hunger is fulfilled but you don't drive it all the way to 10.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            Kinship merits are an awesome idea! Its neat to have a way to pick of some of the characteristics of other splats if you are trying to emulate a specific type of monster. Scour Your Body is a particularly interesting and non-obvious one for Mage.

Legendary Horror is also AWESOME! Ways to get access to Influences are always fun.
                            Legendary Horror and Horrorspawn certainly bring awesome benefits (although you only get access to Influences and Numina in your Lair), but they carry a serious Satiety bill, esp. if you have both of them, use a lot of Essence, and/or keep your Horrorspawn minions around a lot of time. You are going to work your ass off hunting or using Family Dinner if you have these Merits. Legendary Horror is doubly useful for Incarnates since they are merged with their Horror and hence can tap spirit powers all the time.

Well-Stocked Lair is another nice Merit to have, in order to draw extra usefulness from your Lair as a hideout.

Kinship Merits are an awesome idea in theory, but just like kinship Nightmares, in practice the usefulness of specific Merits may vary significantly. Ghost (Look Between Worlds, Walk Lightly), Werewolf (Scent Your Prey, Step Sideways), and Mage (Scour Your Body) Kinship Merits seem rather good to have, Vampire Kinship (Feign Death, Sanguivore) ones not so much. I'd assume 'ghost' kinship actually refers to sin-eaters in most cases. Usefulness of Know Their Falseness may vary considerably depending on how much deal-making the Beast does.
                            Last edited by Irioth; 03-11-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Kinship Merits are an awesome idea in theory, but just like kinship Nightmares, in practice the usefulness of specific Merits may vary significantly. Changeling, Ghost, Werewolf, and Mage Kinship Merits seem rather good to have, Vampire Kinship ones not so much. I'd assume 'ghost' kinship actually refers to sin-eaters in most cases.
                              I am very certain that ghost was intentional since they are the most pop culture of the three ephemeral entities that are in every single 2e corebook (expect Requiem).

As for the usefulness, chronicles are scenario dependent as it is. Trying to whiteroom merits doesn't work since you need context. Feign Death could be useful for evading enemy combatants, avoiding airborne toxins, or travelling underwater for extended periods. There are lots of creative things you could do with not needing to breathe. Sanguivore gives you an extra weapon that can't be disarmed and is much more subtle than most Atavisms. If you're playing a game with vampire politics, you could use it to frame vampire for breaching the masquerade, then avoid suspicion if the Kindred know you're not a vampire. Or alternatively, you could use both merits together to reinforce your Passing Resemblance as a vampire. Instead of just appearing not to breathe, Feign Death lets you actually not breathe. I can see scenarios where those little details could be lifesavers.

Actually, that idea of using kinship merits to reinforce passing resemblance is interesting. I'm going to think on that some more.
                              Last edited by Second Chances; 03-11-2018, 01:41 PM.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
                                Personally, I'd prefer it if my RPG books didn't include a passage called, "And here's how you play a rape monster!"
                                I haven't read all of it yet - in as far as I have the curse has had relatively little airtime in favour of imprisonment imagery. But is there really a passage called that?

My own problem with Family from I've read so far is that it seems more like a Hunger - kidnapping and imprisoning people could come under any of Power, Hoard, Prey, or Punishment, but with that many others it could be, I'd say it's powerful enough to be its own. But that's what it seems like - an action rather than a nature, and a Hunger rather than a Family. A Family seems more like it should reflect other forms of entrapment: not just imprisonment, but stifling claustrophobia, or being lost underground, or buried alive.

I like the Inguma, though. And the two new Hungers are excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X