No announcement yet.

Beast Player's Guide on DTRPG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back, reading the BPG and, just as I charged some cash for the PDF way before it arrived, I'm gonna do the same for the Print-On-Demand later this evening.

I don't think I have something to say that would be significantly different from what has been said already nor do i think that my detailed opinion would be that interesting to read, but the book's great and gives us all more room to breathe, more canon to explore and brand new material to use. It is no more than what I expected, but that's just because I expected a lot (and was not disappointed in the slightest).

Kudos to all those involved. This is shaping up to become one of my favorite supplements ever.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• Is the 'curse' on Talassi actually defined anywhere? I don't see it in the Family's writeup.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
        I haven't read all of it yet - in as far as I have the curse has had relatively little airtime in favour of imprisonment imagery. But is there really a passage called that?
        No, there isn't. Gellydog was saying that it would have been distasteful to include such a passage in response to another user disliking that Tasallii downplayed the rape angle instead of playing it up.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
          Is the 'curse' on Talassi actually defined anywhere? I don't see it in the Family's writeup.
          It should be. It's in the first few paragraphs of the write-up.

...although that's about it. There are no game mechanics attached to that aspect of the Talassi.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
            It should be. It's in the first few paragraphs of the write-up.
            ...although that's about it. There are no game mechanics attached to that aspect of the Talassi.
            ...is 'the curse' just the fact that they're branded as kidnappers or rapists? I figured that was just kind of something that naturally followed from their nature/likely abilities.

Comment

• aaaaand I got the Player Guide. Can't wait to find time and delve into it :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                ...is 'the curse' just the fact that they're branded as kidnappers or rapists? I figured that was just kind of something that naturally followed from their nature/likely abilities.
                The implication seems to be that its mostly this, but there's also some Heroic Anathema reinforcing it. Not enough to warrant a full-on mechanical writeup, but stronger and slightly more supernatural unease than you would expect.

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Having now entirely read this book, I can stay it is freaking fantastic. definitely expands the game in so many ways. My thanks to the authors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    No, there isn't. Gellydog was saying that it would have been distasteful to include such a passage in response to another user disliking that Tasallii downplayed the rape angle instead of playing it up.
                    Actually this misrepresents my stance. I dislike the Tallassii 'curse' because it singles out the Family for their fear archetype and default M.O. having indirect ties to rape, when other Beasts that have fear archetypes just as viscerally threatening and often cause equal or worse damage and abuse, such as murder or ruining people's lives, do not get any equivalent mystical burden. What I loathe is the prudish/PC meme that violence (and non-sexual violation) is narratively Ok, but sex (and sexual violation) is taboo, and hence rape is a 'special kind of evil'. Hence I'd prefer the 'curse' does not exist at all (and at my table, it doesn't).
                    Last edited by Irioth; 03-13-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irioth View Post
                      What I loathe is the prudish/PC meme that violence (and non-sexual violation) is narratively Ok, but sex (and sexual violation) is taboo, and hence rape is a 'special kind of evil'.
                      Fair enough. I'd say that is misrepresentation of why people take issue with rape in media, but this is not the place for that discussion.

Comment

Fair enough. I'd say that is misrepresentation of why people take issue with rape in media, but this is not the place for that discussion.
                        If you prefer a different way of explaining my stance, I loathe the idea (which conservative fundamentalists and radical feminists seem to share and advocate in a hourseshoe effect way) and I do not want it endorsed at my table if I have a choice that sex is sacred or taboo and hence issues of freedom of choice, violence, and violation of people's bodily and psychic integrity (among others less relevant with the topic at hand) should be treated differently by society, depending on whether the sexual sphere is concerned or not. Explicit representation of these issues at the table may of course vary depending on the group's preferences and comfort zones, but not in a way that endorses the 'sex is sacred/taboo' meme if I have a say. Hence, the Tallassii 'curse' has to go, or alternatively become something most or all Beasts get burdened with, regardless of whether their fear archetypes and hunting M.O. get potentially concerned with people's erogenous zones (so to speak) or not. There would also be an issue about the arbitrariness of singling out the fear of imprisonment archetype as the 'rapist' group, but it is secondary for me.
                        Last edited by Irioth; 03-13-2018, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irioth View Post

If you prefer a different way of explaining my stance, I loathe the idea (which conservative fundamentalists and radical feminists seem to share and advocate in a hourseshoe effect way) and I do not want it endorsed at my table if I have a choice that sex is sacred or taboo and hence issues of freedom of choice, violence, and violation of people's bodily and psychic integrity (among others less relevant with the topic at hand) should be treated differently by ethics, society, and the media, depending on whether the sexual sphere is concerned or not. Explicit representation of these issues at the table may of course vary depending on the group's preferences and comfort zones, but not in a way that endorses the 'sex is sacred/taboo' meme if I have a say. Hence, the Tallassii 'curse' has to go, or alternatively become something most or all Beasts get burdened with, regardless of whether their fear archetypes and hunting M.O. get potentially concerned with people's erogenous zones or not.
                          Meanwhile, my take has never been that sex is sacred. My take is that rape is worse because it involves violating another person for your own sexual gratification in a way that murder does not elicit unless you are a bona fide serial killer sadist. It is the act, the violation, and the trauma you inflict that make it worse, not "sacredness."

But again, this should have its own thread and not override this one.

Comment

But again, this should have its own thread and not override this one.
                            Accordingly, pivoting hard to a different subject…

The revelation that Horrors are transmogrified Dreamtime goetia explains a lot about the degree of influence they have over the world — these are entities that have spanned the breadth of the Astral through the circumstances of their birth, making their way to a singular dreamer from the inchoate dreams of the world (where, in 1e, the resident primal entities could manage feats like lending their Influences and forging Platonic exemplars of the raw elements).

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• I must say that after reading the Inguma, I find it kinda funny that everyone call them the "youngest family", simply because they were born only after humans made cities for the first time. Relativity is important, after all.

Also, I must say that the Heralds are not what I expected them to be. I mean, they seems to be more of a "primordial stigmatics" than Beast's "ghouls"- sure, their creation is intentional, but mechanically they are practically Sitgmatics (they even have a stigmata of some sort), and they fall into the niche of "people marked by the Primordial Dream" (in that case, the Horror directly). It is nice that they can become both Beasts and Heroes, IMO.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Got a bit of a laugh at the mention of the Fomorians in the cultural write-up for the anakim...mostly because I see it as an amusing nod to Beast's Changeling the Dreaming influences.

Comment

Working...
                                X