[BPG] Inguma – Family of Outsiders – and minorities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [BPG] Inguma – Family of Outsiders – and minorities

BPG means Beast Player’s Guide – and in this book is new Family of Beasts. So called Inguma are embodying the idea of Fear of the Other in a given community. With rise of xenophobia ( and any other minorities –phobia, in reality ) in my homeland Poland – and me writing fan Dark Era Conquest of Paradise about 15th century Portugal and Spain in that were rise of violent actions against local Jews and Muslims – I wonder how much Inguma reflects those fears. As bisexual man I also looks for this Family also reflecting LGBT+ ‘minority as monsters’ in society Eye of Beholder ( pun intended ). Topic is for reflecting this kind character and try to use those Fears in not too much offensive way. But still – as embodied by monstrous Horrors the unreal fears of humanity – some grotesque views probably cannot be missed. Best would be pointing or things like Inguma Horrors could look like.

For example, for Conquest of Paradise I was thinking about Horror reflecting antiJews views as Dybbuk, vengeful spirit from People of Torah myths. Or maybe Golem is good example of Inguma Horror? He would spread irrational fear in humans seeing him, not very different than this of Prometheans.

I have real problem in imaging how could look like Horror reflecting fears about LGBT+ people - What, this being would look like mismatched amalgam of male and women parts? Or something like Warhammer’s Slaanesh? Because ‘man dressed as women’ is clearly not enough as true Horror image.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-08-2018, 03:45 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

A hermaphroditic, goat-headed Satan-figure? An incubus/succubus that changes its gender freely and disconcerts onlookers by appearing as the gender they don't consider themselves attracted to and being attractive nonetheless (i.e. using Alien Allure and some variant of Enemy Within)?

I dunno. I'm bisexual myself, so it's kinda difficult for me too.
    Last edited by ajf115; 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

May a point out that there is a pretty popular movie classic in our community that is all about taking the absurd cishet fears about us to an extreme where we are predatory aliens?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        May a point out that there is a pretty popular movie classic in our community that is all about taking the absurd cishet fears about us to an extreme where we are predatory aliens?
        Point me to it straight ahead - I need a good laugh just before my sleep. What's a title?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Point me to it straight ahead - I need a good laugh just before my sleep. What's a title?
          Rocky Horror Picture Show

I recommend seeing it with a crowd that knows the call backs.

Comment

I think a Horror representing homophobia/fear of queers would not necessary manifest in some way iconic of being queer, but rather, would represent the myths that homophobes spread. Things like: gays are promiscuous, gays are diseased, gays prey on children/virgins/Good Straight People, trans people are sexual perverts, etc. So something like a diseased body with a prolapsed rectum and lipstick....which sounds ludicrous, I realize as I type it.

Alternatively, an Inguma Enabler might actually have a very appealing Horror...and they feed by getting homophobic blowhards to reciprocate a (seeming) same-sex advance. And then their Whisper broodmate takes pictures. ;-)

(apparently this is the thread for bi people!)

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Maudlin View Post
              I think a Horror representing homophobia/fear of queers would not necessary manifest in some way iconic of being queer, but rather, would represent the myths that homophobes spread. Things like: gays are promiscuous, gays are diseased, gays prey on children/virgins/Good Straight People, trans people are sexual perverts, etc. So something like a diseased body with a prolapsed rectum and lipstick....which sounds ludicrous, I realize as I type it.
              To be honest, that strikes me as more Namtaru than Inguma. Inguma are about the fear of something that creeps into your life or your community and corrupts it from the inside, such that by the end no-one's willing to acknowledge that the corruption is corruption. They're the outsider, the pod person, the Reptilian. They're the Other (Wo)Man, the courtesan the king loves better than his wife but who just seeks to take advantage of him, the poisoner of minds and marriages. They're the new kid who turns the school against you. They're the orchestrators of betrayals, the Iago to your Othello. They're perhaps the most subtle and certainly the closest to 'civilized' of the Families, because they were born from civilization.
              Last edited by ajf115; 03-08-2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I do not know about this as Inguma inspiration - Doctor Frank-N-Furter is just transvestite. He is not something truly inhuman, like Horrors should be. ( At least that was vibe I get from reading BPG now. )

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Rather all minorities groups - Queer are just most interesting topic as we do not have many myths about them as Fears engines, compared to whole mythologies of ethnics groups ( like Jews, for example ). Still, you are welcome here.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I do not know about this as Inguma inspiration - Doctor Frank-N-Furter is just transvestite. He is not something truly inhuman, like Horrors should be. ( At least that was vibe I get from reading BPG now. )
                    You mean in terms of his physical appearance? Because he IS an an extraterrestrial, and having forms that “creepily” masquerade as human is part of the horror shtick of the Inguma.
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-08-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I recommend seeing it with a crowd that knows the call backs.
                      And here I thought you about to say Alien.

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                        And here I thought you about to say Alien.
                        The reproductive horror aspect undermines any attempt to draw straight-fears-of-LGBT-predator associations.

Predator vs Alien though works quite well as a conflict between primal “masculine” and “feminine”.

Comment

Alternatively, an Inguma Enabler might actually have a very appealing Horror...and they feed by getting homophobic blowhards to reciprocate a (seeming) same-sex advance. And then their Whisper broodmate takes pictures. ;-)

Yep, it's the Bi thread. I think for the specific fear of 'Others' invoked by people who fear LGBT people you wanna go for body horror, but subtle body horror. Make it look perfectly normal until you really pay attention and catch the horrifying part.

Comment

Rather all minorities groups - Queer are just most interesting topic as we do not have many myths about them as Fears engines, compared to whole mythologies of ethnics groups ( like Jews, for example ). Still, you are welcome here.
                            wyrdhamster , I was just commenting on how many posters (including me!) are bi, not implying that it was a bi-exclusive thread.

Comment

Just because people should not fear it, doesn't mean they won't.

The Outsiders may be the fear of the Other personified but that does not mean they have to reinforce those fears. They can easily be 'invasion of the body snatchers' horror as easily as xenophobia/homophobia/etc. Families provide tools and patterns but the manifestation of the fear comes from the Hunger.

The difference between a Makara Tyrant and an Inguma Tyrant is in how they go about sating that Hunger, it is still ultimately about power. The families are the trappings, the colour, the excuse. The real fear is what they Hunger for.
                              Last edited by FallenEco; 03-09-2018, 02:50 AM.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                              X