[BPG] Inguma – Family of Outsiders – and minorities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

I would argue that from Inguma stand point, to be 'The Other' you need to have some distinctive features, however good they are hidden. Your faith ( in West Judaism or Islam, for example ), your skin color, orientation or gender identity.
    That's one way to read Inguma, yes, but it doesn't have to be the only way. Inguma could also easily represent the fear of hostile takeover of a business or political party, someone that hides in plain sight until it is too late for you to do anything about it (and yes, there are other families that idea could work for as well, but Inguma is one of them).

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

You are probably right - I remember great 'He is communist!' Horror made by Gellydog in other topic that is also Inguma.

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
      The Red Specter

A Horror inspired by the fears of Communist infiltration and nuclear annihilation that were rampant during the Cold War, the Red Specter is a nightmare of paranoia, foreign influence, unfamiliar and frightening ideologies, world-ending threats and the fragility of "civilized" society. It reminds us that no matter how advanced we think we are, at heart we're still animals huddling together in packs, fearing those who believe and act differently. And that in our desperation to keep "them" away from "us," we could easily destroy everything we've ever loved...

So, this idea immediately suggests Inguma as a Family: Nightmares of the Other fits pretty exactly into what we're looking for with "the Reds are infiltrating our society." The Outsiders have plenty of nice Atavisms that can create paranoia and distrust, and we can fill out from other Families as needed. Speaking of Atavisms, I'd say we could start (I always begin with a character at "just created," then advance them as needed) with Enemy Within and Touch of the Basilisk. Enemy Within is a perfect fit for an infiltrator and subversive; it lets you take on other people's identities, and fulfills our "at least one in-Family" requirement at character creation. Basilisk's Touch is more out-there, but in this case I'd say we fashion it as radiation sickness. The Red Specter is an embodiment of Red Scare fears, and the "threat" of Communism wasn't simply that it was different; it was that the Reds had nuclear weapons...and how can we be safe while their kind have such power? A future addition would be Alien Mindset; those dirty Reds don't even think like us, don't you know!?

So we've established that the Red Specter represents both the subtle fear of subversion and the existential terror of armageddon. I think for a Lair, we should focus on showing the ultimate end of those fears. The Heart Chamber takes the form of a familiar city, but after the bombs have fallen. It's a blasted-out ruin, irradiated and lifeless, red dust choking the sky and smoke burning the eyes. I don't have my core book with me, but I'm sure there are traits that could represent the rubble everywhere and the fallout from the blasts. (in which case, any sort of ruined or abandoned structure would be a great place for the Beast to make a stand, given that resonance would allow them to flood the place with deadly radiation... >:3) Future Chambers could continue the theme, adding traits to represent choking smoke, oppressive heat and unstable ground. (if you wanted to get really weird, add Minions or Thralls and summon some mutants!)

For the Horror's physical form, and say a gaunt and skeletal human figure wearing a tattered, nondescript military uniform. Its skin is loose and burned, and its clothes are tatted and hanging off its frame. A grim death's-head makes up its face, with only two horribly glowing eyes (a sickly green) looking alive.

Finally, the Hunger. There's a few you could go with- Ruin, for the apocalyptic threat; Hoard, as you "collect" "converts"; or Punishment, targeting those who believe "wrong." Ultimately, though, I definitely want to go with Transgression- the Red Specter feeds off betrayal, when people knowingly break with their professed beliefs. This fits well with the idea of subversion that the "Communist threat" was supposed to represent. "They" were infiltrating our society and poisoning our minds with their evil ideology; even our most cherished institutions and leaders could be turned against us. Communism often was treated as this sort of thought virus, where even learning about it would turn pure, innocent Americans into drones who would sell out their friends, family and country.

So, we take that and run with it- the Horror wants to see people turn against whatever it is that they hold most dear. At low satiety, it will be enough to convince a victim to blow off a dinner date or sleep through a doctor's appointment. At high levels, they need to knowingly and willfully betray a person or organization they hold allegiance to. They don't need to get caught, or suffer consequences- they just need to know that they've committed a betrayal.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I just wonder how to represent Fear of Jews and Muslims in 15th century Iberia? What, make Horrors looks like Dybbuk or Jinn - or use satirical, xenophobic illustrations of those minorities?

Notice: Offending picture of antisemitism origin.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I just wonder how to represent Fear of Jews and Muslims in 15th century Iberia? What, make Horrors looks like Dybbuk or Jinn - or use satirical, xenophobic illustrations of those minorities?
          Personally, I would go with the former rather than the later. There are some nasty implications if you xenophobic images as the Horrors themselves and it could very easily become offensive and uncomfortable in an unintended way for someone at your table.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Dybbuk is in Judaism mostly name for the typical ghost that posses Jews. As very ghost-like it clearly would be Eshmaki Family - but as I understand game, the same Horror can also be Inguma, if the way it's interacting with his victims is based more on Fear of Other in community.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

"He stands Tall, perhaps a bit too tall, something is off about him but you can't tell what. He looks just like everyone else, the same as you. You know you've seen him around many times, but only now do you feel it, something is wrong with him... Then he smiles down at you and the world twists. His Eyes... Why are they black....."

The Other doesn't even need to mean a Minority just the FEAR of one. the Fear that something you know is suddenly pulled away and you see it. Everything is the same... But the other has always been there.

I've probably rambled... and made no sense.

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

For Jews, there's the myth that they grow horns during their religious ceremonies. That could be worked into a Horror's description.

For some more inspiration about "infiltrating" a community and "corrupting" it, Cronenberg's Shivers has some. A man develops a parasite that makes everyone into raging sex fiends and/or violent.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
                  For Jews, there's the myth that they grow horns during their religious ceremonies. That could be worked into a Horror's description.

For some more inspiration about "infiltrating" a community and "corrupting" it, Cronenberg's Shivers has some. A man develops a parasite that makes everyone into raging sex fiends and/or violent.

I had an idea for a Horror inspired by the Hykos Dynasies in Egypt, with the Beast who goes by the name Apopis (after the last Hykos Pharoah) coming off as a different minority to everyone. To Jews he'd look Palestian, to Arabs he'd look abit Jewish, to whites he'd look like a light skinned black person, to black people he'd look greek or Italian.

his horror would be Ba'al Set, a fusion of the Canaanite Ba'al and the Egyptian Set who became linked to the idea of Hykos and rule by outsiders. Ba'al Set would look like a giant Pharaoh with reptialian features. Family: Inguma, Hunger: Hunger for Power.

Comment

Just got idea for małe Inguma Tempter who seducess priests to sex with him, and breaking their vows of chastity, with bonus points for engaging in same sex physical actions.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Another take on Inguma might be based on ritual or cultural impurities. Things that temporarily or permanently remove a person from their normal community. Working with dead flesh is a common one - perhaps the Horror resembles a leather-clad, bloodstained individual, wielding butcher's or tanner's tools.

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
                      Inguma are the Fear of the Other, Makara the Fear of Drowning and Namtaru the Fear of Revulsion. The same Archetype of Horror can easily be either of those, depending on where you put your focus. Is it more about fearing something because it is different, or because it makes you gag? Former Inguma, later Namtaru.
                      From that perspective, what about the immigrant's fear of a host community that may be a hair's-breadth from turning on them? (For a lot of Eastern Europeans in the UK that's a pretty rational fear). Would you make that Inguma because it's other people, even if they're majority this time, or Makara because they represent an environment that can crush you?

Dybbuk is in Judaism mostly name for the typical ghost that posses Jews. As very ghost-like it clearly would be Eshmaki Family - but as I understand game, the same Horror can also be Inguma, if the way it's interacting with his victims is based more on Fear of Other in community.
                      Connecting a dybbuk to the Inguma needn't represent gentiles' othering of Jews, but Jews' othering of the possessed - the dybbuk's possession presumably causes proclivities that take its victim outside the norms of the community - which can then be a both an internal and external fear for the victim.

Comment

I have real problem in imaging how could look like Horror reflecting fears about LGBT+ people - What, this being would look like mismatched amalgam of male and women parts? Or something like Warhammer’s Slaanesh? Because ‘man dressed as women’ is clearly not enough as true Horror image.

Might wanna tread carefully around this subject.

I once wrote up an Inguma Enabler who's preferred feeding method was exposing hypocrites, such as closet homosexuals who abused the openly gay, and almost ended up with a permanent ban.

But to answer the question, I believe that in order to sell the aspect of terror this family is supposed to embody, they would be expected to feature exaggerated versions of offensive stereotypes.

They have to give people a reason to want them kicked out, after all. That's not something you accomplish by just showing up on scene and acting like a normal person.

In other words, the Inguma are probably going to be the most sensitive characters in the game, even if their family is appropriate for the setting.

Comment

Sorry for the double post.

Combaining those two responses - So Family in BtP, in the end, is only 'Color' of PC? The same archetype of Horror can easily by Inguma, Namtaru or Makara, depending only on players choice?

Basically, yes. You don't have to be an Inguma to represent minority groups, but the different families might represent them in different ways.

Makara are fear of the depths, which I personally like to interpret as being dumped into an environment you are unaccustomed to. So instead of being the minority facing off against the threat of the majority, you pluck a member of the majority and drop them in an area where the minority holds sway over things. Now the roles are reversed, with the (former) majority finding themselves surrounded on all sides by the very thing they fear, and they probably start freaking out because of it.

I'm not entirely sure how to differentiate Inguma minorities from Namtaru minorities, other than to suggest that the Inguma are simply going about their affairs as normal, while the Namtaru openly flaunt their differences around others.

One family represents minorities going about their daily lives and facing prejudice because of it. The other family represents minorities actively encouraging prejudice based on their their public displays.
                          Last edited by Nyrufa; 05-12-2018, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X