I want to run a Beast - but do not know what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run a Beast - but do not know what to do

After reading Beast Player's Guide I finally feel the gameline is complete (-ish) and playable. I have urge to run at least a story with it. But I do not have any concrete ideas to explore - or rather I got too much for them, thanks to other fans - from Begotten of the Past topic. For example, I now run Werewolf chronicle in Viking times - as I always had soft spot for Raiders from the North. I even run short lived game on the Norse mythology before even Dark Eras was mentioned to have Viking setting. So I'm rather one of those 'prepared and dedicated' Storytellers.

And then we go to Beast and I have - 'Well. I really want to run it. But I'm blank on even main chronicle plot'. I just want to run an game, without having any plot idea. It's soooo weird for me.

So maybe you would help? Pointing to some interesting stuff you can do with Beast as game. Marking proposed Dark Eras for Beast that are in Begotten of the Past topic is all hands on. I was thinking about doing this Post WW2 Japan with Kaiju game - but I think it could quickly become some weird version of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion with monsters psychic sex'.

What I'm sure is inclusion of Minorities subplots in game - like in this topic - but it's now universal to any game of Beast, thanks to BPG book.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Detective stories and noir. There's some supernatural mystery in the region. Not just a mystery. A crime. Chambers are being created faster than the Begotten can claim them. That could be a boon for the Hive, but things are starting to get out of control. The Beasts have to find whoever's responsible and put an end to this before Heroes start raining down left and right.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Dream of Empire.

Or at least, that's a Beast game I've always wanted to run- a city-wide unification of factions under the banner of the brood.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
      Work Blog Coming Soon
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

I mean, "weird version of Neon Genesis Evangelion" sounds like a sales pitch to me, but you do you. :-)

That said, a couple ideas that have come to me just from reading the Player's Guide:

--Two high-Lair Beasts, a Nemesis and an Enabler, start a power struggle similar to a superhero vs. supervillain fight. The Enabler keeps masterminding ever-grander transgressions and the Nemesis becomes more and more desperate to stop them, even if they're also using the Enabler's sloppy seconds to feed. The player brood could be related to either of them, or just bystanders trying to keep the conflict from drawing too much Heroic (not to mention mortal) attention.

--The Lair-based radio station mentioned in the "Connected Lair" Merit write-up. Just...who would run a radio station out of the Primordial Dream? Would it be audible like normal, or only in dreams? What would you even broadcast? You could make a chronicle out of a) the player brood starts up Radio Free Nightmare because why not, or b) the player brood are trying to trace the broadcast to its source, and have to get through various obstacles of increasing complexity along the way.

--For a one-shot or the first few sessions of a long chronicle, I think the Night of Revels Rite would make a good intro to the game and let all the players feel out what their Beasts can do.
        Last edited by Mad_Maudlin; 03-09-2018, 04:11 AM.

Comment

I have a particular fondness for subversions of familiar stories & tropes. Especially where the Beasts and Heroes are actually outsiders and interlopers to these stories.

One I've always wanted to run is a power struggle story between one supernatural splat where the Brood gets caught up in the turmoil without a full understanding of what's going on and why. The first choice I'd go for personally is a Praxis battle between the Vampire Prince of the city and a would be replacement. The Brood would start as humans who undergo the Devouring during the first few sessions and have a pretty good Begotten mentor who tries to help them adjust to their new condition. Then, one day he simply vanishes without a trace and the Brood is left virtually alone in a city that keeps seeing a rise in violent crime with police who seem uncannily red-taped into doing nothing as strange events begin to occure all around the city. Ultimately the Brood could learn that their mentor was Kin to a Vampire who saw too good of an opportunity with their nightmarish cousin and Blood-Bound them to their service. Or, the Brood could just bounce and try to get out of dodge with what little knowledge they have. Either way, a group of Heroes (ideally mirrors to the characters themselves) would begin tracking and stalking the Brood, not understanding the situation themselves (or possibly being directly manipulated) and believing that the Beasts are the cause of the upheaval. Either way, the war will happen. It's up to the players to decide which role they'll play in the conflict, and what the consiquences of those choices would be.
          Last edited by Dusksage; 03-09-2018, 02:36 AM. Reason: Spellcheck

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            Dream of Empire.

Or at least, that's a Beast game I've always wanted to run- a city-wide unification of factions under the banner of the brood.
            Each member of the Brood could be tied to a different splat at the start, effectively doubling as tourists. So there is the one who hangs with vamps, one who is in a werewolf pack, one who has goodwill in the local freehold, etc.

I've thought about this too

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

A very simple plot idea: The Apex makes life hard on every Begotten - not because he's actively out to do something, but because the Lair Trait he imposes is Burning. Even if it's just Bonfires cropping up all over the place, it is hard to not be able to move freely in your Lair. So one way to deal with the Problem would be to topple the Apex (with all the problems that entails). Another would be to help the Apex (who turns out to be a genuine nice guy) to figure out how to instead impose a different Lair Trait like Overgrowth on the Hive.

Another: No matter in what form, spreading Fear has consequences, and by attracting Spirits feeding on these events to the city, the Brood managed to draw a new Pack's ire. Now they're the target of their hunt. How will they be able to convince their Cousins not to slay them? Will the Werewolves accept penance in the form of the Brood helping with a Siskur-Dah on a more pressing target? Do they even care, or is their need to prove themselves to their totem more important to them? What role will the "Tourist" Hero play who always seems to just turn up whenever these two groups meet? Will they find a way to cause less spiritual Havoc when Feeding?

A third: The local Beasts are a small, but tightly-knit community, because for some reason or other, they are under constant attack: Kindred try to enslave them, Hunters seem to pop up and find them at the most inconvenient times, and while not openly hostile, Changelings run for their lives whenever they meet. Being cut of from their extended Family like this hurts, and it's obvious someone or something actively caused this. What will they do when they find out these are the works of a Demon trying to 'isolate an irregular variable', and a Hero with far too many 'friends' seeking to destroy them?

A fourth: A powerful Beast has died. Their remaining cult, however, chose someone of the Player's Brood to fill this hole - and they're not asking. While it would certainly give the group additional resources, they expect the new Beast to take up the mantle of their old leader, including their goals, behaviour, Feeding... How will they deal with this unwanted attention?

A fifth and last one: During a climactic battle with a Hero in her heart, a Beast nearly died, and grasped for straws. Something went awire. As a result, her Horror was split into dozens of Horrorspawn, who feed relentlessly in the Primordial Dream. While the Beast is alive, she's near powerless (No Atavisms, no Lair Traits), and the abundance of Feeding causes way too many ripples.
              The Beast approaches the Brood to ask them for help: subdue the Horrorspawn, collect them and bring them to her Lair, so she can try to regain her Horror. Easier said than done, and certainly not without its dangers, but most importantly, there is no guarantee it'll work at all..

If you want more ideas, I'd like to direct you to this thread.

Comment

A Demon somehow becomes the Apex. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but this time its wrecking havoc with the entire Hive. Gears smash their way through chambers, Horrors feel on edge, and angels try to invade every single layer. The Brood needs to either dethrone the Apex, who may not even realize what is happening or find a way to but these extreme effects to an end. Good luck finding the Demon though.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I look for some rather simple plot for running one-shot, connected to mythology. My RPG club is organizing event in coming month about myths. I understand we have Ready Made Beast PCs to use for one-shot?
                  Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

( Reading 'Bloodstain Brood' Ready Made characters) Is Annika as changeling really crucial to the group? As I want to run one-shot, I do not want to encomber one player and me with running CtL ruleset in one session. Maybe Annika can be remade into 'friendly changeling' to the Brood - but working as NPC from affar?

As most character have English sounding names - I would probably run a story in British town. Hmm, but how to interwine mythological theme then? Maybe story centered on Hero, to directly reference BtP monomyth?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

If I remember correctly, one of the plot hooks is that Annika is wanting to spend more time with the local Lost Court. So maybe have the character mentioned, but say she's doing off doing that? Or just limit her to brief cameos?

Comment

Here's a simple idea:- Your have your group of Beasts take out a local chapter of the Ashwood Abbey. If you decide to continue it, you could explore how the Abbey attempts to retaliate, and the conflict drawing the attention of other supernaturals...

​Another:- The Apex has disappeared, and as a new one (unidentified) takes up the mantle an unsettling and strange shift occurs in the Hive, a trait unlike any other has appeared, and it's causing disturbances not just in Lairs, but in the region's Primordial Dream, inflicting terrible nightmares and making Hero's senses go haywire. What is the cause? Who, or what is the new Apex?

And here's one last idea I had that could work for a story in Japan:- People are disappearing seemingly at random, vanishing without a trace; the only thing the victims have in common is that they come from big families with lots of relatives. What's more, the families claim that they see the victim ever night in their dreams: trapped, terrified, and desperate to come home. Is this the work of a Beast, the Fae, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Mangaholic13 View Post
                          Another:- The Apex has disappeared, and as a new one (unidentified) takes up the mantle an unsettling and strange shift occurs in the Hive, a trait unlike any other has appeared, and it's causing disturbances not just in Lairs, but in the region's Primordial Dream, inflicting terrible nightmares and making Hero's senses go haywire. What is the cause? Who, or what is the new Apex?
                          This idea could be connected to 'mythical' theme of one-shot adventure. Added for 'Heroes on haywire' can be nice opening secondary antagonists. But what could be Horror of new Apex? Something mythical, maybe connected to British folklore... Hmm...

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

This idea could be connected to 'mythical' theme of one-shot adventure. Added for 'Heroes on haywire' can be nice opening secondary antagonists. But what could be Horror of new Apex? Something mythical, maybe connected to British folklore... Hmm...
                            Who says the new Apex has to be a Beasts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mangaholic13 View Post
                              Who says the new Apex has to be a Beasts?
                              Mythical theme of the event game will take place. Some limitations are GOOD for writing stuff - boundless freedom leads to too much indecision. Let's stick to something mythical, best from British folklore. Bloodstain Brood's Horrors are enough 'non-classicly' mythical beings on the start. Reflecting some mythical stuff in scenario maybe using Hero that lives some local epic poem, hmmm?

Wikipedia page joins to myths of Beowulf or Sir Gawain and Green Knight as typical poems of England.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X