• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Beast with Grendel as an Eshmaki Ravaged seems pretty simple

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
      Why you think Grendel would be Eshmaki? Should not he be more like... I don't know, Anakim better?

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Why you think Grendel would be Eshmaki? Should not he be more like... I don't know, Anakim better?

He comes in the night while everyone is asleep and is stopped when a hero wakes up and catches him

Comment

He comes in the night while everyone is asleep and is stopped when a hero wakes up and catches him
          Plus, just because a monster fits well with one family doesn't mean it has to only be that family.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

So going with Beowulf myth I have this basic story premise - In Bloodstrain Brood's town there were no Apex for years. Maybe Primordial Dream waited for someone of Brood to take place? Now it don't matter. Hive has taken Apex - and weird things start to come. Brood is attacked by some goons, then some Scandinavian guy. Dream becomes unstable and Horrors are restless. What's happening?!

Explanation: New town's Apex is a Beast with Grendel Horror. He want's to summon his 'Mother' ( i. e. Dark Mother) 'back from the dead'. And it start to work. So as Beowulf Poem is starting to take place in town - Primordial Dream calls to nearest modern version of 'foreign prince' to slay the Grendel - Scandinavian investor that wanted to invest in town. As business man, contrary to his Viking forefathers, do not know how to fight - he hire some muscles to rattle PCs as 'training targets' so he could learn to kill Beasts. Later on, he will attack himself.

As I'm slowly reading BPG - You could point me to the stuff that could color this idea from book? Maybe Grendel is using some Rites? What could he accomplish with them? Or using Horrorspawn creation could spice this story?
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-15-2018, 06:20 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

What do you mean by Resurrecting the Dark Mother? She's not dead

Comment

What do you mean by Resurrecting the Dark Mother? She's not dead
                But she might be Dead To Him. Maybe he's received no other visitations or signs of the Dark Mother, and is convinced she must be dead - why else wouldn't she answer his calls?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

But she might be Dead To Him. Maybe he's received no other visitations or signs of the Dark Mother, and is convinced she must be dead - why else wouldn't she answer his calls?
                  Or he's doing what attention-starved kids do, acting out in a big way to get any sort of attention

Comment

Maybe acting out 'Mommy, mommy, see me!' is more accurate to the Grendel behavior.

Thinking about them, I will make Grendel Beast a female - as Beowulf one should be małe Scandinavian to work with the Myth.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Thinking about them, I will make Grendel Beast a female - as Beowulf one should be małe Scandinavian to work with the Myth.
                      In the myth, Grendel was male and he attacks because he's trying to stop them from partying all night and keeping him up. Hilarious

That said, I don't think the gender of the players in the myth matters much.

Comment

In the myth, Grendel was male and he attacks because he's trying to stop them from partying all night and keeping him up. Hilarious

That said, I don't think the gender of the players in the myth matters much.
                        Well, except for Grendel's mother, that is. Although if the Beast is trying to reenact the myth as closely as possible, they might be trying to remove as many differences from the equation as they can.

Comment

Okay, so male Grendel and male Beowulf. And first Apex victims would be some punk rockers, partying too loud in towns bar. 😎 I thought that Grendel first wants to call 'Mommy', Beowulf just is called by Primordial Dream in response to his actions.
                          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-19-2018, 03:30 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I will still made Grendel probably Anakim. Even if you point out that...

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            Plus, just because a monster fits well with one family doesn't mean it has to only be that family.
                            ... Beast Players Guide is pointing that Eshmaki are much, much, much less obvious than Beowulf's 'hideous Grendel' appearance.

Originally posted by BPG, p.39
                            When an Eshmaki does have something physically off about her Horror, it’s rarely something her prey would spot at a distance. Often, it’s only clear if the dreamer already knows what he’s looking for. Her eyes might glow in the night like those of a nocturnal animal, or her footsteps might be completely silent no matter her weight or terrain. She might grow translucent when she steps into the shadows, making her that much easier for a casual eye to gloss over. Even Eshmaki with the clear hallmarks of a predator can blend in when they need to; they can close their lips over their serrated fangs, hide their lethal claws in their jacket pockets.
                            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-19-2018, 03:39 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The Player's Guide is really weird about that; in several places, it implies that many Beasts have Horrors that look almost human, something I'm not sure shows up anyway else? The corebook definitely gives the impression that almost all Horrors are inherently monstrous and inhuman in most respects; even those that are human-like are still monsters. So I think this might either be a case of miscommunication, or a shift in concepts to have more variety in Horrors. (the book also gives many more examples of inorganic or conceptual Horrors, such as a tsunami-Horror or a Horror that's actual spiderwebs instead of the spider)

Personally, if I was making a Grendel Beast I would go Eshmaki. The idea of this creature stalking in out of the night and killing at will, then going back into hiding seems very much "Fear of Darkness" to me. The starting Atavisms would Limb From Limb and Cyclopean Strength; Grendel was known for his immense strength (only Beowulf, the Hero, could match him) and for dismembering his victims. Instead of Ravager, I would say he's a Nemesis. Grendel attacked Heorot because of the sounds of singing and merriment coming from within; the Beast's Hunger could conceivably be "Punish those who celebrate when they shouldn't."

Comment

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post

Personally, if I was making a Grendel Beast I would go Eshmaki. The idea of this creature stalking in out of the night and killing at will, then going back into hiding seems very much "Fear of Darkness" to me. The starting Atavisms would Limb From Limb and Cyclopean Strength; Grendel was known for his immense strength (only Beowulf, the Hero, could match him) and for dismembering his victims. Instead of Ravager, I would say he's a Nemesis. Grendel attacked Heorot because of the sounds of singing and merriment coming from within; the Beast's Hunger could conceivably be "Punish those who celebrate when they shouldn't."
                                Same here. I'd have to think a little about which Hunger I'd give him, but I also would go for Eshmaki for the reasons you mention. And give him at least Limb from Limb, because it's deviously ironic for a monster famous for having his arm ripped and used against him.

Depending on what you focus about, arguments can be made for Grendel to belong to a bunch of different Families (as it happens with many monsters), but Eshmaki is what feels best to me for a monster that comes at night and tears people apart. The appearance thing is not that big of a deal, if you ask me. I believe that the Family should matter more, after which the actual look of the Horror is just a reinforcement to the core concept. The books probably have several examples and different guidelines because variety is rarely a bad thing.

While at it, I suggest taking a look at the movie "Beowulf & Grendel" and the book "Grendel" by John Gardner, which make him more sympathetic or alter the perspective to that of the monster instead of the classical one. Both have something to offer to Beast. The movie is decent, nothing too special, but the book's great

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Working...
                                X