No announcement yet.

I want to run a Beast - but do not know what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I did not run this idea this time because of work over weekend. Grendel scenario will just wait for the better time in coming months...

As I plan to move in next two years to Edinburgh and I will want to run there Beast chronicle ( after ending my Werewolf one in home city of Lublin) maybe let's talk for now about Begotten setting for 'Edi' here. Loch Ness is not so near to it so I suppose that 'Nessie' will not be Apex of Edinburgh?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-16-2018, 03:16 PM.

Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      So I did not run this idea this time because of work over weekend. Grendel scenario will just wait for the better time in coming months.

As I plan to move in next two years to Edinburgh and I will want to run there Beast chronicle ( after ending my Werewolf one in home city of Lublin) maybe let's talk for now about Begotten setting for 'Edi' here. Loch Ness is not so near to it so I super that 'Nessi' will not be Apex of Edinburgh?
      If I were a wagering man, my instinct would be that Edinburgh's Apex would somehow be tied to the Jacobite risings.

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

3D Printing CofD | DC Chronicles | Marvel Chronicles | CofD Quotes | The Giftbox

Comment

Loch Ness is very far away from Edinburgh - it’s 170 miles / 270 kilometers by road – but just for amusement in topic let’s made Nessie monster as Beast Incarnate. For the start, let’s point her Family and Hunger…

‘Nessie’, Incarnate Loch Ness monster
        Family: Makara
        Hunger: Secrets

Nessie is peculiar Whisperer Incarnate. Instead of her knowing everybody’s secrets – she want to be a secret for others to pursue. She is showing herself, across decades, for a glimpse of moment or photography shot – to hide herself once again another time. She sates her Hunger by watching, from afar, all those people going crazy over her sighting, obsessing their perusing ‘Loch Ness monster’. Across years there were also handful of mages that become really obsessed over her – and Nessie becoming their proper Obsession – that became here Kin, even when it was she more watching them than other way around.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Edinburgh Apex
          Going with Second Chances idea for Edi’s Apex, let’s look in to Jacobites Rebellion of year 1745. According to sources it was very secretive in it’s roots rebellion – similar to the pre-Independence War America. With all the ‘Us vs Them’ and secret signs, I got the large Inguma vibe for the Apex that would reflect those events. And with how more or less peacefully ‘occupation’ occurred in 1745 by Jacobites, I would say that our Apex would be much more Hungry for Power than for Prey – from just seeing casualties in civilians. 'Jacobian Horror' would be wrongly taken Scotish Nationalism that do not take 'no' for not reclaiming 'the true way' of being Scotsman.
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-16-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Edinburgh Apex
            Going with Second Chances idea for Edi’s Apex, let’s look in to Jacobites Rebellion of year 1745. According to sources it was very secretive in it’s roots rebellion – similar to the pre-Independence War America. With all the ‘Us vs Them’ and secret signs, I got the large Inguma vibe for the Apex that would reflect those events. And with how more or less peacefully ‘occupation’ occurred in 1745 by Jacobites, I would say that our Apex would be much more Hungry for Power than for Prey – from just seeing casualties in civilians. 'Jacobian Horror' would be wrongly taken Scotish Nationalism that do not take 'no' for not reclaiming 'the true way' of being Scotsman.
            I would say go watch Outlander first, then read this. The Jacobite occupation may have been relatively bloodless, but there are a number of monuments across Edinburgh on the spots where Jacobites were executed en mass.

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

3D Printing CofD | DC Chronicles | Marvel Chronicles | CofD Quotes | The Giftbox

Comment

So it seems that Edinburgh is very much 'infested' with ghosts and ghost stories. Any Apex of city would certainly have Kinship with ghosts and probably in the Old Town underground are portals to Underworld. What's even more interesting - there is legend about literal Dragon sleeping under rocks of Old Town - so maybe choose him as Apex, as more 'Begotten-like' being?

If you want to get to know more of general Scotland myths - there is also this great ( and beautiful! ) page to see them.

Comment

Edinburgh's Arthur’s Seat and Sleeping Dragon legend
                '
                One of the most fantastical tales of Arthur’s Seat pre-dates even Celtic times. It’s the legend of the sleeping dragon. According to the legend, the land surrounding Edinburgh was once plagued by a huge ferocious dragon. It would circle the skies, terrifying locals, breathing fire, stealing precious livestock and generally getting up to the dragon-ly mischief. The people of Scotland didn’t know what to do. They were petrified of the beast and could see no way to satisfy its greed. Eventually however, this greed would become the reason for the dragon’s downfall.

Over weeks and months and years, the dragon ate and ate and ate, taking whatever supplies and animals it wanted from the people of Scotland without second thought. The beast became so greedy that it grew fat and slow. No longer the fierce monster it had once been, the dragon’s constant fullness had made it increasingly lazy. One day, it rested on top of a peak just outside the city for a sleep.

Unfortunately for the dragon, it never woke up. Instead, it became the hill we now know as Arthur’s Seat.'

However, Sleeping Dragon is seen from time to time to circle over city!

So proper Apex of Edinburgh - or 'just' Unfettered ancient Beast? Legend seems to point to the second take...
                'A Beast may, by accident or design, undergo a process called the Retreat in which the human body dies but leaves the Horror free to roam the Primordial Dream. The Horror, unmoored from its human concerns, becomes an ephemeral being. It may or may not retain any of the intelligence of its human part.

The Retreat usually occurs when the Beast has fed up to 10 Satiety, putting the Horror to sleep. In this state, the Beast may then choose suicide to unfetter the Horror, or may simply run afoul of a Hero or other danger without the power of the Horror for protection.'
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-17-2018, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Over weeks and months and years, the dragon ate and ate and ate, taking whatever supplies and animals it wanted from the people of Scotland without second thought. The beast became so greedy that it grew fat and slow. No longer the fierce monster it had once been, the dragon’s constant fullness had made it increasingly lazy. One day, it rested on top of a peak just outside the city for a sleep.
                  Hammering more Sleeping Dragon idea as Beast ( Apex or Unfettered ) I think about main traits of it. Looking over idea that Dragon, by the story, attacked from sky future 'Edi's' citizens I will probably go with Ugallu as Family. The question comes to the Hunger - line 'the dragon ate and ate and ate, taking whatever supplies and animals' sounds to imply Hunger of Prey.

Or Hunger of Hoard? It comes from the moral lesson of the story: 'The beast became so greedy that it grew fat and slow. ' From my understanding of BtP corebook Hunger for Prey is much more 'Hunger for Flesh' in classical horror monsters tropes, where Hunger for Hoard is typical 'dragons greed' to take previous items, not people and ate them. But I may be mistaken here...

Comment

Edinburgh (related) Underworld

So as we got 2E Underworld preview and by Scottish legends of area, Edi is full of ghosts – I wanted to ponder a bit over the Underworld related phenomena for BtP setting here.
                    1. With masses of ghosts stories related to area, I suspect that there are many low places ( or cenotes ) in city, areas of Twilight that contain an Avernian Gate and are keenly attuned to the energies of death. Biggest one collection would be 17th century ‘underground city’ under proper Edinburgh:
                    ‘Buried beneath the Old Town of Edinburgh lies a subterranean labyrinth of streets and chambers where tales of strange phenomenon and hauntings abound, including one particular phantom whose fame has travelled throughout the world.
                    As you descend the gloomy depths of Mary King’s Close, enter the vanished world of 17th century Edinburgh. Here was once a bustling neighbourhood open to the sky where prosperous merchants would trade their wares. It also served as a refuge for the city’s countless slum dwellers where crime and even murder were rife. The march of time would see the close gradually become submerged by the structures you see today on the Royal Mile. But this was not what sealed its ultimate demise.
                    In 1645 a deadly scourge spread like wildfire through the city – the bubonic plague. Urban legend has that in a desperate bid to halt the contagion the infected were quarantined within the walled up vaults and left to perish. One of the unfortunate souls who met this miserable fate is thought to be ‘Wee Annie’, the spirit of a sickly young girl separated from her family and crying for her favourite doll. Step inside her room filled with piles of dolls and teddy bears left by kindly visitors over the years and wait. Stay still and you might feel a sudden chill in the air, an insistent tug on the hem of your coat, or even a little invisible hand grasping for yours in the dark.’
                    1. With so many ghosts in nearby, Reapers are certain to be seen. On the other hand, there is many ghosts in Edinburgh – so Reapers do not do their job enough with bringing those shades to Underworld. What would stop them from taking those centuries old ghosts – like Wee Annie above or Headless Drummer from Castle?
                    2. River Cities are resembling the closest equivalent of the poor neighborhood in region – so with the areas history, I would not be surprised to see them as Old Town ‘plague city’ from 17th century.
                    3. Dead Dominions reflects local ‘afterlife folklore realm’, yes? So what would it look like in the Scotland – like Celtic afterlife, or rather like Christian like Heaven?

Comment

Working...
                    X