I want to run a Beast - but do not know what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run a Beast - but do not know what to do

After reading Beast Player's Guide I finally feel the gameline is complete (-ish) and playable. I have urge to run at least a story with it. But I do not have any concrete ideas to explore - or rather I got too much for them, thanks to other fans - from Begotten of the Past topic. For example, I now run Werewolf chronicle in Viking times - as I always had soft spot for Raiders from the North. I even run short lived game on the Norse mythology before even Dark Eras was mentioned to have Viking setting. So I'm rather one of those 'prepared and dedicated' Storytellers.

And then we go to Beast and I have - 'Well. I really want to run it. But I'm blank on even main chronicle plot'. I just want to run an game, without having any plot idea. It's soooo weird for me.

So maybe you would help? Pointing to some interesting stuff you can do with Beast as game. Marking proposed Dark Eras for Beast that are in Begotten of the Past topic is all hands on. I was thinking about doing this Post WW2 Japan with Kaiju game - but I think it could quickly become some weird version of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion with monsters psychic sex'.

What I'm sure is inclusion of Minorities subplots in game - like in this topic - but it's now universal to any game of Beast, thanks to BPG book.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM.

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Here is my take on full Beast based on Grendel from English poem Beowulf. Some may point he should be Makara as fisherman, but I simply did not remember other ‘lonely man of work’ job in modern world good for this Eshmaki Horror. Hopes you like him!

Thomas Grant - ‘Grendel’

Background: Thomas was simple, lone fishermen. Being single in mid 40s and working all day longs on his keel boat, really hating his job, he developed unhealthy relation with alcohol. Being drunk was his way of life to fill his existential void.

Then, those two years ago, he passed once again as he gone few times a month. Instead of waking up in bar he drunk or on the shore, on the way to his boat, he waked up in some strange marshes. Trying to find his way up to home, he stumbled upon dark cave in the centre of this land. And in it’s darkness, then Grendel ripped him apart.

From that day on, Beasts that was Thomas stopped to drink. He come sober and started to fill his Hunger in other ways. Like in the poem, when attacking Heorot mead-hall, Grendel in him scared teenagers parting too loud. Parents drinking when they should watch over their kids. Thomas still fish on his boat on the day, but on the nights – he has better commitment than booze on the land…

What more unusual, he did not found any other Begotten to this day. And his loneliness and Hunger are casting a dark shadow on his existence.

Lair: Grendel’s Marsh-Den
    Grendel’s Horror live in black cave amidst great, dark marshes. Each step is returning as heightened to listener, like the realm was driving everyone mad with sounds. Each step can also be last, as unstable ground can swallow you whole. And then there is monster in it, always watching, stalking it’s prey…
    Chambers: Heart –The Dark Cave from what Grendel comes to hunt. Maybe there is Mother of it in?
    Marshes – Great and boundless Marshes that can engulf you any time you walk them and not watch your steps.
    Sea shore – Night bounded sea shore that is engulfing victims with unstable sand on it and crashing water.
    Marty’s Bar – Latest addition to the Lair is tenement house in what Grendel massacred local punk rock band in bar, just after their concert. This horrified crime has shaken the mortal community to the core.
    Traits: Echoing, Engulfing, Darkness, Hunting Ground – Per scene: 3

New Hive Trait: Hunting Ground – People can be attacked by Horrors multiple times and awareness of local Heroes do not rise. Trait shows in area as Grendel silhouette is found stalking every Chamber of the Hive ( even if it’s not the Horror itself. )

Description: Thomas is rough looking man that spent half of his life on water. He wears old, worn clothes that smell of sea. He maybe not most friendly person, but surely he is only old, lone drunk…

Storytelling Hints: Grendel in Thomas goes restless. His loneliness pushing him to more desperate measures. He wants to connect with Dark Mother just to have real family, at once. Crime in local bar finally moved something deep inside him. Something spoke to him by the vision. He wonders if is really the voice of Mother of his, Mother of All Monsters? Unless stopped, Thomas will become very violent Beast in pursuit to find his parent.
    Legend: Vicious – Grendel is known from doing over-needed violence to his victims. If this was secretive not the nature of Eshamki Horror and his nomadic lifestyle on boat, he probably would been caught by police forces months ago just because the fear his acts generates.
    Life: Simple – Thomas was very simple man. As Begotten he is still. He likes his days routine. Seeing him on the boat, you really would think he is only fisherman, dedicated to his job.
    Family: Eshmaki
    Hunger: Punishment - "Punish those who celebrate when they shouldn't."

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 3, Resolve 4
    Physical Attributes: Strength 4, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3
    Social Attributes: Presence 2, Manipulation 5, Composure 3
    Mental Skills: Computer 1, Crafts 3, Investigation 3, Medicine 2, Science (Sea) 2
    Physical Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 3, Drive (Boats) 3, Larceny 2, Stealth (Stalking) 4, Survival (Sea, Marshes) 3
    Social Skills: Animal Ken 2, Intimidation (Unsettling) 3, Persuasion (Deals) 1, Streetwise (Rumors) 2, Subterfuge 3
    Merits: Anonymity 3, Barfly ,Contacts (Criminal, Law Enforcement, Transportation) 3, Danger Sense, Danger Sense (Advanced), Direction Sense, Eidetic Memory, Patient, Resources 2, Safe Place (Boat) 3
    Atavisms: Limb From Limb, Cyclopean Strength, Death of Light, From the Shadows, Relentless Hunter, Monster from the Deep, Heart of the Ocean
    Nightmares: Behold, My True Form!, We Are Going Down!, You Cannot Run, You Will Never Rest
    Lair: 4 (Echoing, Engulfing, Darkness, Hunting Ground)
    Health: 8
    Willpower: 7
    Satiety: 4
    Size: 5
    Speed: 12
    Defense: 6
    Initiative: 6
    Armor: 0

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    My first take on Hero, inspired by Beowulf. Comments are always welcomed.

Maximilian Forsberg – ‘Beowulf’

Background: Maximilian Forsberg is great and dedicated business investor in half of the world. However, he is now burden with secret – he started to have dreams about him freeing the land he comes from monsters. And, weirdly, it starts to make sense in his head.

He rose in Götaland region in Sweden. Heir to his father’s fortune, he was schooled and practiced money making even before age of 7. Most children would be tired be the life of constant deal making and searching for loopholes, but he did not mind. He was good at it. And you do what you are made for.

However, he also had a second pillar in his life. Housekeeper and close friend of the family that raised Max – as she called him – was immersed in Nordic myths. She told stories of their ancestors when he was little, cultivating lore of the land in the nights when she put him to bed. It ended when Maximillian got to boarding school, but the legends stayed with him all those years. In his teenage years in this facility he grow fond of swordsmanship and liked archery lessons. They are still his hobbies.

Decades later, after ending Oxford, he started to invest his father’s money in foreign capital. And after almost two decades in it, he is very good at it. To say he did some nasty things in his line of work would be understatement. He travels a lot, looking for next investment to expand his portfolio and capital. But he still dreams about Norse gods and monsters, from time to time.

Description: Desmond is a good shap man in his 40s. <Description of foreing inwestor.>

Storytelling Notes: Maximilian is ‘fresh’ to his awakening as Beasts slayer – but idea is growing on him. More and more nights he dreams of himself as ‘prince freeing the country from monsters’ ( i.e. Beowulf ), the more he losses touch with his every day, business side. For now, he is cautious and discreet, as any true investor would be. For now.

Maximilian’s Legend is Champion. He hunts and kills monsters because he believes only he can save ‘the land he came for’. In his heart, he wants others to speak of his great deeds and how that HE killed the dragon in the nearby cave. At present, all that is enough that local newspapers have headlines as ‘Mysterious hero save neighborhood from a mad man!’.

His Life is Businessman. Maximilian whole life rose as ‘man making money’ and what’s he best on. But it’s deeper. He have tendency to use other people to get what he desire, talking them over doing what needs to be done. And he is pragmatic and caution – he likes to plan everything he do. More the Hero rise in him, less he can listen to this his rational voice in the head.

Legend: Champion
    Life: Businessman
    Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 3, Resolve 4
    Physical Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 2
    Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 4, Composure 2
    Mental Skills: Academics 2, Computer 2, Investigation 1, Occult 1 ( 2 dots after 2 Beast kills ), Politics 3
    Physical Skills: Athletics 2, Drive 2, Firearms 1, Weaponry 2
    Social Skills: Empathy 3, Expression 1, Intimidation 3, Persuasion (Business) 4, Socialize 3, Subterfuge 3
    Merits: Allies (Business) 3, Allies (Town Hall) 2, Contacts (Media), Fame 2, Inspiring, Resources 4, Status (Business) 3
    Gifts: None ( After 1st Beast kill: Vanquisher’s Strength; After 2nd: Champion’s Endurance; After 3rd: Vanquisher’s Strength (2); After 4th: Open Gate )
    Health: 7
    Willpower: 6
    Integrity: 4
    Size: 5
    Speed: 9
    Initiative: 4
    Defense: 5
    Armor:

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    I prepared session description as we will run this game as local in our local mini-RPG convetion event. Here is English version of description. Take in consideration that session opening needs to at least brush a bit general BtP setting also, for totally new people.

‘Walkers in Darkness’
    Story for Beast: The Primordial, Genre: Urban, Horror, Mythologies – Time is Saturday 15:00 to 21:00, 3 to 5 players, needed proficiency of English to understand the corebook. Session is for 16+ years old because of mature content. There are Ready Made characters. 8-) ( We will use official Bloodstained Brood, with Annika ran by my as distanced NPC. )

‘Stafford is small, English town. Calm community with 18th and 19th century tenement houses seated just right to sea. It’s also home for Bloodstained Brood – group of Children of Dark Mother, creator of all monsters, people whom hideous monsters from Mothers linage Devoured souls and replaced with themselves. Now a Brood are working together Beasts, that joined their Lairs – dream ( or rather, nightmare ) realms in what their monster souls are to what dimensions they can enter I their dream bodies. And all of them joins blood flowing across those dreams…

It’s a start of autumn of this year. Stafford WAS calm community for the Brood. Everything changed when local Police Constable - Lauren Moran – found massacred bodies four members of local punk band - ‘Rage Against the Spiders’ – in town’s pub Marty’s after their night concert. Massacred is wrong word. MAULED bodies is much closer to truth. Local coroner and funeral director in one person does not have clue what to do with leftovers from would-be rock stars. Their families are devastated. And Beasts have very bad feeling about this all, sent, probably, buy their Dark Mother…’

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    I mean, why did you need to update here? No one was following it, it wasn't still engaged. This just.

Whatever.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Edinburgh Beast setting - Sleeping Dragon(s) - is in this topic. In the one you read now - I will hammer rest of Grendel scenario, as I will run this adventure in one week from now.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-22-2018, 12:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Will move to the Geist subforum - but I'm a bit bummed setting did not go deeper what is all in the ghosts phenomena in Edi's. More will be in Geist Subforum - I will link here topic.

EDIT: Edinesis - Edinburgh, Scotland Geist 2E setting
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-24-2018, 12:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    So reading Geist 2E Previews, I'm a little bit disappointed by Edinburgh setting in GtSE 2E - it's more or less only conflict about two Krewes, nothing more. However, game itself get's nice framework for making various ghosts - here are two most popular:

Edi's Castel

Is it only me but this 'unknown identity' and 'making appearance when castle is under threat' points to the Headless Drummer being geist, probably related to Key of Blood?

'

I have feeling that Lone Piper should be rather Rank 1 or Rank 2 simple ghost, as he feels less as avatar of Death than Headless Drummer - especially as 'ghosts sounds' are typical Rank 0 ghosts now.
    This looks like it fits better into the Geist subforum.
    Also, why would a corebook on a new Splat cover anything not Splat-related?

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    So reading Geist 2E Previews, I'm a little bit disappointed by Edinburgh setting in GtSE 2E - it's more or less only conflict about two Krewes, nothing more. However, game itself get's nice framework for making various ghosts - here are two most popular:

Edi's Castel
    'One of the castle’s most popular spooky tales is the one of the headless drummer boy. His identity is unknown and he only makes an appearance when the castle is under threat. First spotted in 1650 when Oliver Cromwell attacked the castle, the ghost is said to be wandering the grounds.'
    Is it only me but this 'unknown identity' and 'making appearance when castle is under threat' points to the Headless Drummer being geist, probably related to Key of Blood?

'
    Another of the castle’s famous ghosts is the one of the Lone Piper. In this story, it’s said he was sent to the underground tunnels beneath the castle. Then, he was ordered to play his bagpipes so people could track him from above, but sadly he never returned. Still today, his pipe music can be heard in the castle as he endlessly walks along the underground tunnels.'
    I have feeling that Lone Piper should be rather Rank 1 or Rank 2 simple ghost, as he feels less as avatar of Death than Headless Drummer - especially as 'ghosts sounds' are typical Rank 0 ghosts now.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    As I want to rather run the chronicle about looking for Dark Mother - I written some typical Theories on her nature and her doings. The most useful for Edinburgh will clearly be this that she is in the Underworld...

Dark Mother is in the Underworld – Dark Mother is dead. Many myths ends with slaying the Tiamat, Echidna or other Monster Goddess. And they are true. Mother’s Land and her Communions are only after effect of her existence – ripples on water of universe, Dream shades of once all-powerful being. No, real Mother is in vast Lands of the Dead. Once killed, her physical form rot and was devoured by her Children. What’s left of her, her essence, her… soul? – moved as first guest to the Underworld, locked Land of the Dead before this act, literally starting the journey of the ghosts to the Ocean of Fragments. This is why Underworld looks more or less likes caves – this form is most natural representation of the Cave of Mother in Dark Dream, the very first Lair. Tale is that who finds her soul, laid In Underworld, may rebirth her once again, in flesh, by channeling her in his Horrorspawn. Can you find your dead Mother?

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    I was advised to look for some supernatural Kin tension in the area - and looking over Edinburgh feel and myths, clearly is that those things should resonate with ghosts. So the Sin-Eaters would be one half of conflict equation. Question is what would be second? Reapers from Underworld, wanting to 'steal the dead' below? Or other supernatural major race - like maybe werewolves? However focusing on the ghosts means rather limited interest from wolves in it - well, maybe Bone Shadows picking their heads in it. And in Edinburgh, Bone Shadows will surely be the most numerous Tribe...

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Edinburgh (related) Underworld

So as we got 2E Underworld preview and by Scottish legends of area, Edi is full of ghosts – I wanted to ponder a bit over the Underworld related phenomena for BtP setting here.
    1. With masses of ghosts stories related to area, I suspect that there are many low places ( or cenotes ) in city, areas of Twilight that contain an Avernian Gate and are keenly attuned to the energies of death. Biggest one collection would be 17th century ‘underground city’ under proper Edinburgh:
    ‘Buried beneath the Old Town of Edinburgh lies a subterranean labyrinth of streets and chambers where tales of strange phenomenon and hauntings abound, including one particular phantom whose fame has travelled throughout the world.
    As you descend the gloomy depths of Mary King’s Close, enter the vanished world of 17th century Edinburgh. Here was once a bustling neighbourhood open to the sky where prosperous merchants would trade their wares. It also served as a refuge for the city’s countless slum dwellers where crime and even murder were rife. The march of time would see the close gradually become submerged by the structures you see today on the Royal Mile. But this was not what sealed its ultimate demise.
    In 1645 a deadly scourge spread like wildfire through the city – the bubonic plague. Urban legend has that in a desperate bid to halt the contagion the infected were quarantined within the walled up vaults and left to perish. One of the unfortunate souls who met this miserable fate is thought to be ‘Wee Annie’, the spirit of a sickly young girl separated from her family and crying for her favourite doll. Step inside her room filled with piles of dolls and teddy bears left by kindly visitors over the years and wait. Stay still and you might feel a sudden chill in the air, an insistent tug on the hem of your coat, or even a little invisible hand grasping for yours in the dark.’
    1. With so many ghosts in nearby, Reapers are certain to be seen. On the other hand, there is many ghosts in Edinburgh – so Reapers do not do their job enough with bringing those shades to Underworld. What would stop them from taking those centuries old ghosts – like Wee Annie above or Headless Drummer from Castle?
    2. River Cities are resembling the closest equivalent of the poor neighborhood in region – so with the areas history, I would not be surprised to see them as Old Town ‘plague city’ from 17th century.
    3. Dead Dominions reflects local ‘afterlife folklore realm’, yes? So what would it look like in the Scotland – like Celtic afterlife, or rather like Christian like Heaven?

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Over weeks and months and years, the dragon ate and ate and ate, taking whatever supplies and animals it wanted from the people of Scotland without second thought. The beast became so greedy that it grew fat and slow. No longer the fierce monster it had once been, the dragon’s constant fullness had made it increasingly lazy. One day, it rested on top of a peak just outside the city for a sleep.
    Hammering more Sleeping Dragon idea as Beast ( Apex or Unfettered ) I think about main traits of it. Looking over idea that Dragon, by the story, attacked from sky future 'Edi's' citizens I will probably go with Ugallu as Family. The question comes to the Hunger - line 'the dragon ate and ate and ate, taking whatever supplies and animals' sounds to imply Hunger of Prey.

Or Hunger of Hoard? It comes from the moral lesson of the story: 'The beast became so greedy that it grew fat and slow. ' From my understanding of BtP corebook Hunger for Prey is much more 'Hunger for Flesh' in classical horror monsters tropes, where Hunger for Hoard is typical 'dragons greed' to take previous items, not people and ate them. But I may be mistaken here...

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Edinburgh's Arthur’s Seat and Sleeping Dragon legend
    '
    One of the most fantastical tales of Arthur’s Seat pre-dates even Celtic times. It’s the legend of the sleeping dragon. According to the legend, the land surrounding Edinburgh was once plagued by a huge ferocious dragon. It would circle the skies, terrifying locals, breathing fire, stealing precious livestock and generally getting up to the dragon-ly mischief. The people of Scotland didn’t know what to do. They were petrified of the beast and could see no way to satisfy its greed. Eventually however, this greed would become the reason for the dragon’s downfall.

Over weeks and months and years, the dragon ate and ate and ate, taking whatever supplies and animals it wanted from the people of Scotland without second thought. The beast became so greedy that it grew fat and slow. No longer the fierce monster it had once been, the dragon’s constant fullness had made it increasingly lazy. One day, it rested on top of a peak just outside the city for a sleep.

Unfortunately for the dragon, it never woke up. Instead, it became the hill we now know as Arthur’s Seat.'

However, Sleeping Dragon is seen from time to time to circle over city!

So proper Apex of Edinburgh - or 'just' Unfettered ancient Beast? Legend seems to point to the second take...
    'A Beast may, by accident or design, undergo a process called the Retreat in which the human body dies but leaves the Horror free to roam the Primordial Dream. The Horror, unmoored from its human concerns, becomes an ephemeral being. It may or may not retain any of the intelligence of its human part.

The Retreat usually occurs when the Beast has fed up to 10 Satiety, putting the Horror to sleep. In this state, the Beast may then choose suicide to unfetter the Horror, or may simply run afoul of a Hero or other danger without the power of the Horror for protection.'
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-17-2018, 06:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    So it seems that Edinburgh is very much 'infested' with ghosts and ghost stories. Any Apex of city would certainly have Kinship with ghosts and probably in the Old Town underground are portals to Underworld. What's even more interesting - there is legend about literal Dragon sleeping under rocks of Old Town - so maybe choose him as Apex, as more 'Begotten-like' being?

If you want to get to know more of general Scotland myths - there is also this great ( and beautiful! ) page to see them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X