X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ajf115
    started a topic Homebrew Obcasus Rites

Homebrew Obcasus Rites

So, here's the thread for homebrew Obcasus Rites. I'll start us off.

The Ever-Open Door (Intermediate Rite)
    Dice Pool: Power +Persuasion orOccult - 4
    Time Per Roll: 1 hour
    Duration: Permanent (unless profaned)
    Bonus: +2 if all participating Beasts have linked Lairs
    Cost: None
    Temples are places of the Dark Mother, and She is ever-welcoming of her Begotten. Over the course of the Rite, the Lair Traits of the participants naturally fade into the Temple, and at the moment of its completion, Burrows to their Hearts yawn open behind them. If successful, this Rite makes it so that the Temple is always treated as a part of the Temenos no matter in which realm it actually exists for the purposes of opening Primordial Pathways from the Hearts of the participants, and is always a valid target for such a Pathway irrespective of whether or not there is an appropriate Tilt or Trait in effect.

Furthermore, the Temple and its proper contents never take any lasting damage or suffer permanent ill effects from imposed Lair Traits. A flood leaves no water damage when it subsides and a dragon's forest fire leaves not a single mark when it fades back into the Dark Dream. Effects are as normal while the Lair Traits are present, but any damage or ill effects vanish like a dream at waking. Intruders and their possessions and equipment suffer the effects as normal, no matter whether the Beasts wish them to or not - an intruding Hero's phone will be permanently ruined by a Makara's flood; not that he's likely to be in a position to care once the Lair Traits have subsided.
    Last edited by ajf115; 03-11-2018, 12:31 PM.

• Wormwood
    replied
    Originally posted by Mad_Maudlin View Post
    I noticed the Horrorspawn writeup mentioned a rite to create a body for your Horrorspawn "out of the Primodial Dream." I think such a rite would solve the obvious problem of a Horrorspawn's physical form decaying (and the related need to keep sourcing bodies of the desired size for it to inhabit) but I'm trying to think of an appropriate downside -- what's the catch that keeps the rite from being the go-to method for embodying your 'spawn? Any ideas?
    Maybe make it so the horrospawn Becomes Far More independent in their actions, thus more likely to cause harm?

Leave a comment:

• IceBen
    replied
    Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

I thought that rite was left in the book...will check later.
    It is listed as a possibility under "The Physical Form", but isn't among the rites.

Leave a comment:

• FallenEco
    replied
    Originally posted by Mad_Maudlin View Post
    I noticed the Horrorspawn writeup mentioned a rite to create a body for your Horrorspawn "out of the Primodial Dream." I think such a rite would solve the obvious problem of a Horrorspawn's physical form decaying (and the related need to keep sourcing bodies of the desired size for it to inhabit) but I'm trying to think of an appropriate downside -- what's the catch that keeps the rite from being the go-to method for embodying your 'spawn? Any ideas?
    I thought that rite was left in the book...will check later.

Leave a comment:

• Mad_Maudlin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Except for the inflicting Anathema part, I like this a lot!
    Instead of Anathema, maybe they can inflict a persistent Condition or something (Abjuration comes to mind)? Inflicting Anathema is pretty much what makes Heroes so special, so unless this Rite would invariably turn the favoured into a Hero, I'd rather see something else. Learning about an Anathema is fine with me, though.

Maybe disabling the Atavism for the Beast in their physical body only would work for you? So Horror/Merged Beast still have access.
    Anyway, cool addition, especially for the more humanoid Horrors (Aesir, J├Âtunn, Cyclopes, Cernunnos-based Lords of the Woods, Deep Ones, Ursullas, Witches, Egyptian God-look-alikes etc.)

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    Originally posted by Teatime View Post
    I feel that Beasts wouldn't appreciate the Monomyth peanut butter in their Obcasus Rite chocolate. They're allergic. I already bent that rule by introducing Anathemas, so I'll leave the rest in a separate post for those readers who want it.
    Fair enough.

Leave a comment:

• Teatime
    replied
    I feel that Beasts wouldn't appreciate the Monomyth peanut butter in their Obcasus Rite chocolate. They're allergic. I already bent that rule by introducing Anathemas, so I'll leave the rest in a separate post for those readers who want it.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    1. My intentions in making the Hunger a Virtue were the following: I wanted the influence of Mother to affect the Human to such an extent, that only spectacular acts of monstrousity allow them to regain full Willpower. This clearly differs from source material for the sake of making a darker spin on the subject. If you want to lean a bit closer to "Little Mermaid", then your approach is the way to go. Either that, or dropping the Hunger part entirely.

2. I wanted the Beast to pay some sort of price, and disabling access to the Atavism felt like crippling the Horror too much. Anathemas were the second thing I thought of. As for the monomyth, the recipient can play the part of the "victim" that reveals the monster's weakness to the Hero. Personally, I intended them to be Gretchen who lures Baba Yaga into the furnace... or dies trying. This must be where our sensibilities differ - I like to leave room open for other myths.

3. Thank you!

Edit: I should have added one more option to end the ritual - irreparably betraying the original Aspiration. This would harken back to the original "Little Mermaid" and her option to cut out the prince's heart.
    That makes sense. I was just laying out my thoughts and you've provided compelling counterpoints. The one thing I would say is that it might be good to call out the narrative roles in the rite. I like the new thing with the other option to end it.

Leave a comment:

• Teatime
    replied
    1. My intentions in making the Hunger a Virtue were the following: I wanted the influence of Mother to affect the Human to such an extent, that only spectacular acts of monstrousity allow them to regain full Willpower. This clearly differs from source material for the sake of making a darker spin on the subject. If you want to lean a bit closer to "Little Mermaid", then your approach is the way to go. Either that, or dropping the Hunger part entirely.

2. I wanted the Beast to pay some sort of price, and disabling access to the Atavism felt like crippling the Horror too much. Anathemas were the second thing I thought of. As for the monomyth, the recipient can play the part of the "victim" that reveals the monster's weakness to the Hero. Personally, I intended them to be Gretchen who lures Baba Yaga into the furnace... or dies trying. This must be where our sensibilities differ - I like to leave room open for other myths.

3. Thank you!

Edit: I should have added one more option to end the ritual - irreparably betraying the original Aspiration. This would harken back to the original "Little Mermaid" and her option to cut out the prince's heart.
    Last edited by Teatime; 05-05-2018, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    Monster's Favour (Intermediate)
    It looks good, but I do have a couple of points to raise:
    1. I think it might be better if the Hunger functioned only as a secondary Vice, or maybe replaced the recipient's Vice for the duration.
    2. I don't think the recipient should be able to place Anathema on the donor. Maybe they provide a benefit to a Hero who recruits them to placing Anathema, but that's not the role of the guy the monster's tricked in the story on their own. The hero comes in and helps them get out of their 'bad deal' - they need his help. That's the monomyth, anyway.
    Other than that, it looks great.

Leave a comment:

• Teatime
    replied
    Monster's Favour (Intermediate)

Dice Pool: Power + Empathy or Occult - 4
    Time Per Roll: Ten minutes.
    Duration: Until the Aspiration is fulfilled or either party is dead.
    Bonus: +2 to all rolls if the recipient is a Cult-member.
    Cost: None

This ritual copies an Atavism possessed by a willing Beast onto a Mortal. The recipient gains access to the Normal Satiety Effect, assuming the donor's Lair rating where necessary. This gift is intended to help the Mortal with a specific Aspiration, that must be clearly stated out loud. Interestingly, if the petitioner deliberately lies about their intentions, the ritual responds to their true desire.

The recipient also develops a Hunger related to the Aspiration, that functions as both an additional Virtue and Vice. This Hunger stems from the petitioner's core motivation - unfiltered be either circumstance or morality. If three people need to steal money for their loved one's operation, but one doesn't want to let one of their own go, the second needs being appreciated and the third wants to get back at the money's owners, they all get different Hungers and get to exercise them in different situations. Presumably, they're Hoard, Power and Punishment respectively, but people are full of surprises.

The ritual comes with a host of trade-offs. For its duration, the recipient can automatically put an Anathema on the donor, regardless of their relative locations. If the Beast already suffers from an Anathema, the recipient instead automatically knows what it is.

The Mortal pays a price as well. For the duration of the rite, they suffer from a Persistent Condition, Anathema or other curse. This weakness always hampers their pursuit in one way or another, and can be a source of Beats. For instance, accepting Alien Allure to facilitate a relationship may cause inability to speak. They also become unable to regain Willpower from surrender or rest, and engaging in a Virtue only rewards them with 1 Willpower point.

If the petitioner becomes unable or unwilling to complete their Aspiration, they must either live under the strain of the ritual or kill their benefactor. Their Beasts know this.

Exceptional Success: The ritual also copies the Low Satiety Effect.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    How about a rite that grafts one of the participant's Atavisms onto a Human subject? It would probably be limited to the Normal Effect and use the donor's Lair rating where necessary. Such powers as Needs Must, Mimir's Wisom, Cyclopean Strength and Alien Allure would be perfect fits. As a trade-off, the subject would carry a Condition, or be affected with an unstable Hunger.

Your Ariel would get access to Enemy Within, but instead of needing true love's kiss, she'd go slightly... off.
    That sounds great! As a Bonus, maybe during that time, the Beast themselves loses access to the 'donated' Atavism? To play up the 'exchange one trouble for another' part =D
    This could work as a great tool in many stories. Catch an enemy off-guard by pumping up your cultists, do a beastly version of Changeling/Demon contracts, reward loyal Heralds/cultists...
    Maybe make using the Power trigger the condition due to feeling utterly wrong? "Body Horror" as a descriptor comes to mind.

I'd however consider limiting the Rite to only humans with a connection to the Primordial as acceptable receptors; you're likely to break some balance stuff if you can go and add Cyclopean Strength to a Promethean Titan or Mimir's Wisdom to a Kindred. Just consider the ramifications of a Vampire that can easily unravel all the lies around him. Or an Uratha with Looming Presence: as if Garou wasn't scary enough, add some more health levels and give Intimidation the Rote quality- some hunter's aspects just became a lot more effective. Then again, maybe that's the point?

Leave a comment:

• Teatime
    replied
    How about a rite that grafts one of the participant's Atavisms onto a Human subject? It would probably be limited to the Normal Effect and use the donor's Lair rating where necessary. Such powers as Needs Must, Mimir's Wisom, Cyclopean Strength and Alien Allure would be perfect fits. As a trade-off, the subject would carry a Condition, or be affected with an unstable Hunger.

Your Ariel would get access to Enemy Within, but instead of needing true love's kiss, she'd go slightly... off.

Leave a comment:

• FallenEco
    replied
    Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
    Point about the Dread Power (what book's it in?) but I meant for learning the rite in the first place- whenever and wherever it gets lost, Nightmare Mom pops around some time to 'teach' it to some Tempter. Hence the 'rabbit's foot wish' legends just about everywhere.
    That wouldn't be a single rite. Each wish would have to be a different rite. Honestly feels more like a changeling thing, or a demon pact but I could see it for Beasts and their cultists.

Really want to stress the "rites exchange one problem for another" bit. I was lucky enough to be in on the development of the BPG (kickstarter benefit) and that is a quote from one of the Devs. The new problem might be easier for the characters to deal with, given their talents (merits, Avatisms, nightmares, etc) but the rite doesn't simply solve anything. The Dark Mother might offer encouragement but doesn't solve anything. Remember the communion rules?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X