• Show
Clear All

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    That sounds pretty freaking awesome

Leave a comment:

• Deinos
    replied
    Oh. For a general demon vs beast conflict, the approach I went was the philosophy, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." IMC, there is a plague of Cryptid Azlus (aesthetically very similar to owod weaver spirits) trying to seal off the spirit world, and are murderously effective against ephemera.

The players think its the God Machine creating them, but in reality its a saboteur. He despises ephemera and, if he were less informed, would be a strict materialist. Instead of adjusting his philosophy, he simply seeks to exterminate variables that fail to fit into his starkly black and white world. Beasts/horrors, are the worst, most filthy variant too; everything about them is illogical, they cannot be constrained, they could do anything they want to and go wherever they want to but instead they fixate on what he sees as petty revenge and sadism. He's like a 1e core owod Technocrat; dreams strike him as totally alien and he would eliminate them if he could. He doesn't understand the role of dreams in Heroes and makes pacts with them whenever possible, even supplying them with embeds, to help him. He has inherited the worst elements of the God Machine, but would never see it.

He is currently the apex, and his apex trait has contaminated the local hives with creeping biomechanical infection and a parody of the God Machine's gears and circuitry, causing angels to view beasts in the area as demons (and he can use Shift Consequences to give beasts the Hunted condition). He views himself as totally immune to the God Machine as a result. He poses as a mild mannered beast himself, using Show of Power and Deep Cover. He's always scheming to make another kind of cryptid or pact to scour away beasts, spirits, and so forth.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    Originally posted by Deinos View Post

What conflict are you talking about?
    If it's Demons vs. Beasts.

Leave a comment:

• Deinos
    replied
    Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post
    such a conflict between the two splats?
    What conflict are you talking about?

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    So how would you guys go about setting up such a conflict between the two splats?

Leave a comment:

• Deinos
    replied
    I forgot to mention: even if Unchained are the 'real demons' (whatever that means) and Beasts are not, there would/could still be Horrors that represent people's terror and horror regarding Unchained engaging in feats that remind one of true demons. The Unchained have little, if any, reason to act 'demonic' (other than pacts, which needn't ever be anything but wonderful) while the behavior of a Horror fluffed as a demon is, presumably, based off the subversive, aggressive and destructive impressions humans have of them. More subtle elements, like the spy culture and biomechanical nature, would be less likely to be 'grokked' by the primitive collective unconsciousness of mankind, but only the worst excesses of Unchained behavior are likely to have an impact on the Primordial Dream, as they themselves don't have any rapport with it.

Similarly to the weird fluff bits about how the God Machine fostering a viewpoint of angels as benign and wonderful in mortals, it may also foster a viewpoint of demons as malevolent and horrible; and this, too, may make its way in. It could be particularly interesting for a rare Unchained who was the Apex of a region for a very long time to have enough of an impact to create Horrors of itself. I imagine, even if Unchained weren't alienated from the Primordial Dream and at odds with Beasts, that meeting your analog in Horror form would be uncanny. Whether or not Lucifer, for example, ever existed in cofd or was an Unchained, he probably has spawned one or more Horrors in his image.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    How about a sealing rite? As in, placing a target within stasis, or severing them from supernatural power? The latter could be explained as a powerful mental suggestion that convinces the victim they can't use magic, almost like a permanent nightmare. Main premise being: suppose you want to spare an Insatiable, or a beast whose gone too far; or maybe the foe is too powerful to be destroyed and needs to be sealed within a location. The primordial dream might even ensure that time moves strangely within the prison, if a location, provided the seal remains in tact.

Edit: WHOOPS! Wrong thread. My bad. ^^;
    Last edited by MrParaduo; 03-13-2018, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    To be fair, the Enabler Hunger is flat out stated to be overwhelmingly Christian (or Abrahamic?) in theme, although that is contradicted in the next sentence.
    "Inexorably tied to" means "it's basically impossible not to make a connection," which is not a thing that is contradicted by "here are some other mythic precedents for this Hunger."

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    While you can definitely play the Unchained as demons angle up in a chronicle, its always felt somewhat unnatural to me -- its not fully clear to me why demons would consider themselves demons, and why they'd consider GM servants angels.
    Spiritual beings which serve a god that controls the world in mysterious ways. Sounds like angels to me.

Leave a comment:

• Deinos
    replied
    Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

The reskinning back then was to align it with Inferno, as in the 1E book. Not to shoehorn it into Christianity. But point taken.
    To be fair, the Enabler Hunger is flat out stated to be overwhelmingly Christian (or Abrahamic?) in theme, although that is contradicted in the next sentence.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    Btw, how do these sound for mechanics unique to the shard?

• Devouring is the process by which a demon subsumes the soul of a corrupt, dying, insane, or otherwise weak-willed host (the Beast), merging with it to allow anchorage in Mundus (the 'real world').

• If the Beast's mortal body is destroyed, the demon must find a new host within the immediate scene or risk becoming a mindless horror. Alternatively, the Beast may choose to seal off her Lair from the rest of the Inferno, abandoning all other chambers as she goes dormant. Ideally, this will ensure she can return at a later time to Devour a new host. The more dots in Lair she has, however, the longer she will remain dormant. The demon can spend Lair DOTS to shorten said-dormancy. Bear in mind that Death is still possible if someone manages to find her Chamber in the Inferno, and successfully slay her. Spending dots from her Lair this way ALWAYS forces the demon into Slumber.

Rate of Return:
    10 Lair -- 100 years
    9-8 -- 50 y
    7-6 -- 10 y
    5 -- 5 y
    4 -- 1 y
    3 -- 1 month
    2 -- 1 week
    1 -- 1 day
    Last edited by MrParaduo; 03-15-2018, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    There's also that one kinship merit, Know their Falseness, that kinda acts like a pact, but nowhere near as potent as what DtD has. That being said, if you roleplay it the right way, it works alright.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post
    And now with Cult mechanics and Obcasus Rites, it feels too tempting (pun not intended) to try this out!
    I hadn't even thought of the Rites. I mean, diabolic sorcery for the win! Consecrate becomes a rite dedicating a place to the Powers Below and so on.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    And now with Cult mechanics and Obcasus Rites, it feels too tempting (pun not intended) to try this out!

Leave a comment:

• Deinos
    replied
    I was just thinking about how, given the changes in Morality->Integrity, how beasts and horrors are very analogous to Inferno stuff. Enablers make it even more obvious. Most mortal breaking points in my chronicle, at any rate, come from trauma, not misdeeds.

While you can definitely play the Unchained as demons angle up in a chronicle, its always felt somewhat unnatural to me -- its not fully clear to me why demons would consider themselves demons, and why they'd consider GM servants angels.

Now, I like the idea of demons using Ephemeral Cover to pose as damned souls or spirits of pain or vice, and so they use a conventional demonic form as a cover for their true, biomechanical form.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X