Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you create a Horror?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Cinder View Post
    That...that works beautifully, if you ask me. Kudos.
    Thank you.
    Currently Debating what to do with Ciri - I was unhappy with the swallow horror, as I was with Ugallu as a family... so I considered Namtaru with alien allure (she has to deal with a lot of disgusting stuff, and is Considered abhorrent by some) with a black Unicorn as a horror, or instead going Anakim (she carries immense power, and most of her life was a lesson in powerlessness. At the end, it is the opposite) with the concept of the Hen Ichaer as her horror (a raging, Sentient fire), or again, the Black Unicorn.


    Daigotsu Max sounds cool, and now I want a Big Five African brood.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

      Thank you.
      Currently Debating what to do with Ciri - I was unhappy with the swallow horror, as I was with Ugallu as a family... so I considered Namtaru with alien allure (she has to deal with a lot of disgusting stuff, and is Considered abhorrent by some) with a black Unicorn as a horror, or instead going Anakim (she carries immense power, and most of her life was a lesson in powerlessness. At the end, it is the opposite) with the concept of the Hen Ichaer as her horror (a raging, Sentient fire), or again, the Black Unicorn.
      If you could use my two cents, I'd go with Anakim. Alien Allure is an Atavism that works perfectly for her, since a lot of people are obsessed with Ciri or fall for her, so I'd say she should have it, but Anakim as a Family works both with her immense power and the constant troubles she has fleeing both from her nature and those who are hunting her down, as you mention. I don't always do it, since sometimes there's no room for it, but the idea some Beast have a sort of simmetry between the nightmare they embody and the struggles they have to deal with is something I find interesting to play with when making characters. That they know their nightmare intimately because they experienced it and made their own, in a way, is something that tends to come up frequently for me, and I see potential for that in an Anakim Ciri.

      As for the Horror, what about an animal form, giant swallow or unicorn for example, who's only the outer facade for Hen Ichaer? Imagine its skin cracking with barely contained power, flames erupting from the flesh like lava from a cooling volcano and the eyes as windows for the raging conflagration that burns within. It is, in my humble opionion, fitting for an Anakim, works with her being conflicted about her own power and unusual enough to be memorable. That Horror is both Ciri and the power of the elder blood, trying to coexist in a single being.
      Last edited by Cinder; 03-29-2018, 10:51 AM.


      Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

      I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

      This is what I'm working on

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

        Awesome ideas! I like those! Will you do the 'alien as parasite/invader/predator/hunter' concepts, too? I am thinking of the thing, alien, predator,body snatchers, specifically.
        ‚Äč

        Yesssssss. I actually had thought of exactly the xenomorph alien, the Predator hunter and the pod people as a base for some of the other families.

        The Alien alien would actually be a Namtaru, based on the alien queen from Aliens. It's powers would revolve around the aliens' life cycle, spawning things like face-huggers and Horrorspawn while generally being creepy and gross. I think a minion-focused Beast would actually be pretty neat. It's Hunger...I'm not actually sure. Hunger for Prey just seems boring for such a weird design.

        The Predator alien would be an Eshmaki Predator, obviously. It embodies the fear of being stalked and hunted by something sneakier than you, stronger than you, and better equipped than you. It's Lair would be a Stalking Ground it lures people into, then it hunts them through the landscape. It's preferred Prey would be "worthy opponents." Only those who can fight back are worth its time, and the more dangerous the prey, the more Satiety to be had.

        The pod people obviously is an Inguma, that represents the fear of familiar people around you being turned into strangers. The doppelganger atavism in particular seems made for this Beast! I'm thinking the Horror itself would be some sort of weird plant. Look up the Thorian from the video game Mass Effect, and that's basically what I picture. Its hunger would be Transgression, with a focus on making people break the unwritten social contract in ways that alienate their friends and family. Basically, it tries to get victims to make themselves act like "pod people."

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Gellydog View Post


          Yesssssss. I actually had thought of exactly the xenomorph alien, the Predator hunter and the pod people as a base for some of the other families.

          The Alien alien would actually be a Namtaru, based on the alien queen from Aliens. It's powers would revolve around the aliens' life cycle, spawning things like face-huggers and Horrorspawn while generally being creepy and gross. I think a minion-focused Beast would actually be pretty neat. It's Hunger...I'm not actually sure. Hunger for Prey just seems boring for such a weird design.

          The Predator alien would be an Eshmaki Predator, obviously. It embodies the fear of being stalked and hunted by something sneakier than you, stronger than you, and better equipped than you. It's Lair would be a Stalking Ground it lures people into, then it hunts them through the landscape. It's preferred Prey would be "worthy opponents." Only those who can fight back are worth its time, and the more dangerous the prey, the more Satiety to be had.

          The pod people obviously is an Inguma, that represents the fear of familiar people around you being turned into strangers. The doppelganger atavism in particular seems made for this Beast! I'm thinking the Horror itself would be some sort of weird plant. Look up the Thorian from the video game Mass Effect, and that's basically what I picture. Its hunger would be Transgression, with a focus on making people break the unwritten social contract in ways that alienate their friends and family. Basically, it tries to get victims to make themselves act like "pod people."
          Awesome! For the alien queen, may I suggest Collector ? Tyrant would work, too, but considering the Queen in the movie 'collected' people as spawn Material... and you did want something weirder.
          As for the Thing, it could be a Namtaru Predator, with stuff like enemy within, skin deep, and limb from limb.

          Cinder that is just beautiful! Thanks a lot!

          Comment


          • #20
            I prefer animalistic Horrors, myself. I find that animal themed characters stand out far better than humanoids. Partly because when you look at them, you immediately get a sense of their personality and nature than you do with a typical humanoid. I don't usually consider making elemental themed characters, but I'm not opposed to incorporating some aspects or traits into the character's design in some way.


            As for sources of inspiration, I like to use real world mythology when I can. I like to think of them as 'pre-generated' archetypes, and it makes it easier to decide on how you want to build your legend over the course of development. That being said, I don't mind using an original idea of my own, when I happen to have one that I think is good enough.


            As for the process behind their creation, I found that looking at them from a metaphorical point of view, rather than a literal standpoint offers a far greater range of options. The problem is you have to have an open mind to see many of those possibilities, which becomes difficult if you've become accustomed to certain interpretations.


            Finally, I don't have a designated process for working feeding or concepts into the mix. I usually just run with whatever feels natural for what the rest of the character is designed around. Once again, the options for this become significantly more diverse once you look at them from a metaphorical standpoint.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
              I prefer animalistic Horrors, myself. I find that animal themed characters stand out far better than humanoids. Partly because when you look at them, you immediately get a sense of their personality and nature than you do with a typical humanoid. I don't usually consider making elemental themed characters, but I'm not opposed to incorporating some aspects or traits into the character's design in some way.


              As for sources of inspiration, I like to use real world mythology when I can. I like to think of them as 'pre-generated' archetypes, and it makes it easier to decide on how you want to build your legend over the course of development. That being said, I don't mind using an original idea of my own, when I happen to have one that I think is good enough.


              As for the process behind their creation, I found that looking at them from a metaphorical point of view, rather than a literal standpoint offers a far greater range of options. The problem is you have to have an open mind to see many of those possibilities, which becomes difficult if you've become accustomed to certain interpretations.


              Finally, I don't have a designated process for working feeding or concepts into the mix. I usually just run with whatever feels natural for what the rest of the character is designed around. Once again, the options for this become significantly more diverse once you look at them from a metaphorical standpoint.
              Totally understand that approach. Has a lot of merits, and feels very quick and 'organic', too.

              Currently re-discovering the Dresden Files as inspirational material, and BOY is there a lot to take for Beast.

              I mean, sure, the Denarians could be Demons, but they also work very well as Beasts (although once it is out, they might actually work best as Sin-Eaters, but we will see).
              I mean Nicodemus and his Living Shadow Anduriel? Totally has Shadowed Soul and Wings of the Raptor as well as Unbreakable and Relentless Hunter, being an Inguma Tyrant with the Overlord Legend =P.
              They mostly would be Inguma, Namtaru and Anakim, Makara and Ugallu being suspiciously absent, but fear not, the Fomori got you covered when it comes to Makara!
              And then we have Scions like Kincaid, and Kincaid makes a DAMN fine Beast.

              Comment

              Working...
              X