Our Lady of the Waters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Lady of the Waters

This Beast is mentioned as one of the major Incarnate cults and I feel it's supposed to remind me of a specific legend (like Bigfoot in the previous entry) but I've been drawing a blank. Best I can come up with is the Lady of the Lake from Arthurian legends?

Jenny Greenteeth?

Comment

Tiamat?

Ran?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        Tiamat?

Ran?
        Who/what’s Ran?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Who/what’s Ran?
          A norse goddess of the sea, wife of Aegir. It's at one of their parties that Loki roasts the whole pantheon to the point the Aesir have enough with him. Ran has a somewhat sinister reputation, with some sources associating her with death at sea, shipwrecks and a penchant for drowning people.

I don't think the Lady is meant to be a reference to either her or Tiamat, tough: both are oceanic beings while the Lady is clearly said to belong to rivers and lakes

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

I'd kind of gotten the feeling she at least can represent the idea of the river/lake monster itself, or at least some of the more common legends (the Loch Ness Monster and similar). Don't know if it's what the writer was going for, but the text does call out rivers and lakes in a lot of places where those kinds of stories are popular-ish, so there's at least some support in there for it. And while this bit is pretty indirect and vague to base a guess off of, her entry does imply a link between her and the Old Man of the Mountains if I'm reading it right (calling him "her favorite brother"), and both Bigfoot-like figures and lake monsters are some of the more popular modern-ish legends (and from there among the first things that come to mind when someone mentions words like "cryptozoology").

On the other hand, this could just be the last lingering dregs of my inner middle-school-aged "aspiring cryptozoologist/paranormal investigator" peeking out, so take this post with a grain of salt.
            Last edited by Sconce; 04-10-2018, 05:50 PM.

I've got a bit of a bad habit of extensively editing my posts after the fact. Please try and bear with me...
            In case you're comfortable being more friendly and casual about things, my name's Estella, or Es/Essie for short. She/Her or They/Them, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Sconce View Post
              I'd kind of gotten the feeling she at least can represent the idea of the river/lake monster itself, or at least some of the more common legends (the Loch Ness Monster and similar). Don't know if it's what the writer was going for, but the text does call out rivers and lakes in a lot of places where those kinds of stories are popular-ish, so there's at least some support in there for it. And while this bit is pretty indirect and vague to base a guess off of, her entry does imply a link between her and the Old Man of the Mountains if I'm reading it right (calling him "her favorite brother"), and both Bigfoot-like figures and lake monsters are some of the more popular modern-ish legends (and from there among the first things that come to mind when someone mentions words like "cryptozoology").

On the other hand, this could just be the last lingering dregs of my inner middle-school-aged "aspiring cryptozoologist/paranormal investigator" peeking out, so take this post with a grain of salt.

No that makes sense to me actually, it is true when you think cryptids bigfoot and nessie are the first to come to mind. I'll probably roll with that. Thanks

Comment

I was, in fact, using the myths and legends of lake/river monsters as my inspiration here, specifically Mokele-mbembe.

Wyrd Sister
                Freelance Penmonkey For Hire
                Moloch's PR Chick

Comment

Originally posted by Nagaina View Post
                  I was, in fact, using the myths and legends of lake/river monsters as my inspiration here, specifically Mokele-mbembe.

Thank you so much for confirming!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X