Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m homebrewing for a Beast campaign, and....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m homebrewing for a Beast campaign, and....

I’ve been looking through my various corebooks, but none of the established cities really catch my interest. I thought about my own area, but it is definitely not an ideal location for hidden supernatural beings and occult shenanigans. And just randomly searching for cities is basically just me stabbing in the dark.

So...I’d like some suggestions of where to start. The following qualifications must be adhered to:
    1.It must be somewhere in the US. (Alaska and Hawaii are fine, however, despite not being in the continental US.)
    2.It must have a sizeable mundane population for supernatural beings to hide within, or else a s***ton of wilderness to lurk within.
    3.It cannot be from any nWoD/CofD corebooks or sourcebooks.

Anyhow, thanks for any replies! I know this, itself, is a shot in the dark, but, hey!
    Last edited by Demigod Beast; 04-09-2018, 06:14 PM.

Try Portland, Oregon. It's a big city surrounded by deep, dense forests, and there's tons of Bigfoot sightings from that area. Afaik it's not used as a setting in any of the books.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
      Try Portland, Oregon. It's a big city surrounded by deep, dense forests, and there's tons of Bigfoot sightings from that area. Afaik it's not used as a setting in any of the books.
      Thanks! Definitely a lot of Beast-style mythology there, centered around Bigfoot and Bigfoot-sightings. Aside from Bigfoot, though, what other Portland cryptocritters are there in local folklore? Anything from the tribes that once lived in the area?

Comment

Plus, I’m going to keep crossover explicitly in mind, as this is a Beast game. True, 90% of the focus will be on the Begotten...but, still.

Comment

Newark, Ohio (Population: 49K+, Strangeness: Earthworks)
          Homestead, Florida (Population: 68K+, Strangeness: Coral Castle)
          Roanoke Island (Population: 6K+ (though nearby Virginia is more populated), Strangeness: Entire colony disappeared)
          Roswell, New Mexico (Population: 48K+, Strangeness: Area 51/Aliens)
          Branson, Missouri (Population: 14K+ (+Tourists), Strangeness: "Christian Vegas")

Baltimore, Maryland (Population: 2M+, Reason: High crime (at least in public perception) leads to fear)
          Providence, Rhode Island (Population: 179K+, Reason: H.P. Lovecraft's home - Makara)
          Salem, Massachusetts (Population: 43K+, Reason: Salem Witch Trials - old fear, and Mage-Kinship opportunities)
          Atlanta, Georgia (Population: 4.9M+, Reason: Race Riots - lots of fear, some still lingering)

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
            Newark, Ohio (Population: 49K+, Strangeness: Earthworks)
            Homestead, Florida (Population: 68K+, Strangeness: Coral Castle)
            Roanoke Island (Population: 6K+ (though nearby Virginia is more populated), Strangeness: Entire colony disappeared)
            Roswell, New Mexico (Population: 48K+, Strangeness: Area 51/Aliens)
            Branson, Missouri (Population: 14K+ (+Tourists), Strangeness: "Christian Vegas&quot

Baltimore, Maryland (Population: 2M+, Reason: High crime (at least in public perception) leads to fear)
            Providence, Rhode Island (Population: 179K+, Reason: H.P. Lovecraft's home - Makara)
            Salem, Massachusetts (Population: 43K+, Reason: Salem Witch Trials - old fear, and Mage-Kinship opportunities)
            Atlanta, Georgia (Population: 4.9M+, Reason: Race Riots - lots of fear, some still lingering)
            Bless you, sir! This is exactly what I’m looking for.

Comment

I will also second Branson because that place is weird. (And I say it as a lifelong Missourian.) It's sort of tucked away in the Ozark Mountains just south of Springfield, but there's a massive theme park, miles of country-western shows, and televangelists Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker at one point owned about half the town.

As a bonus, if the Ozarks aren't spooky enough on their own, it's about an hour-ish drive from the Oklahoma border and the Joplin Spook Light.

I myself have been working on Champaign-Urbana, IL as a Demon setting (combine population 120,000, weirdness: lots) but I haven't focused on much outside the God-Machine yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Maudlin View Post
                I will also second Branson because that place is weird. (And I say it as a lifelong Missourian.) It's sort of tucked away in the Ozark Mountains just south of Springfield, but there's a massive theme park, miles of country-western shows, and televangelists Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker at one point owned about half the town.

As a bonus, if the Ozarks aren't spooky enough on their own, it's about an hour-ish drive from the Oklahoma border and the https://www.joplinmo.org/575/The-Spook-Light"]Joplin Spook Light[/URL].

I myself have been working on Champaign-Urbana, IL as a Demon setting (combine population 120,000, weirdness: lots) but I haven't focused on much outside the God-Machine yet.
                Hmmm...interesting! The “Christian Vegas” certainly has a ring to it!

Comment

Hmmm....lets’ see what we have, so far:
                  Atlanta, Georgia. I think I’ll skip this one.
                  Baltimore, Maryland. High crime rate—-excellent cover for various supernatural feuds.
                  Branson, Missouri. “The Christian Vegas”. The very idea is intriguing. Religion can easily lead to good feeding-grounds for Beasts, and the gaudieness of it all is certainly appealing.
                  Portland, Oregon. BIGFOOT!
                  Providence, Rhode Island. Eh. I’ll stay away from this one.
                  Roanoke, Virginia. Maybe the entire colony got swallowed up into the Primordial Dream!
                  Roswell, New Mexico. Eh. I’m staying away from this one.
                  Salem, Massachusetts. Already covered by Mummy and Mage, if I recall correctly.

A pair of questions, though:
                  What are these “earthworks” in Newark, Ohio? Are we talking Mound Builder stuff?
                  What is this “coral castle” in Homestead, Florida?

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                    What is this “coral castle” in Homestead, Florida?
                    Basically what it sounds like, though it would be more of a fort or outpost than a castle, as I think it only housed one person. It's more of a sad story than a spooky one but apparently people do attribute supernatural stuff to it. Tourist trap seems an appropriate name.

Last edited by nofather; 04-09-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Sad story? Do tell!

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_Earthworks
                        Last edited by Vent0; 04-10-2018, 06:21 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Well, i just read both articles, and...

I’m taking Coral Castle off this list. It’s sad, not mysterious, occult or frightening. Beasts are about fear, not unrequited love.

As for the earthworks of Newark...now that is interesting! Maybe Beasts of Native stock built them as physical extensions of their Lairs—-perhaps to confuse Heroes?

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post

Well, i just read both articles, and...

I’m taking Coral Castle off this list. It’s sad, not mysterious, occult or frightening. Beasts are about fear, not unrequited love.

As for the earthworks of Newark...now that is interesting! Maybe Beasts of Native stock built them as physical extensions of their Lairs—-perhaps to confuse Heroes?

I'd write it as only some of them are that, with most being made by mortals and the initial idea being thought up by mortals but that's just me.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

They could also be built by any of the other supernatural splats for the crossover potential.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                              X